What are you MorphOS users doing lately?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Just because most other Android programmers fail to provide a "quit" option, does not seem to me to be a good excuse for your program NOT to have one. Specially when you decided to also port it to non android platforms, where a quit option is always available.

Just my 2 cents, and I won't be using this particular program, so it doesn't really matter to me.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »29.01.17 - 21:23
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

amigadave schrieb:
    Just because most other Android programmers fail to provide a "quit" option, does not seem to me to be a good excuse for your program NOT to have one. Specially when you decided to also port it to non android platforms, where a quit option is always available.

Just my 2 cents, and I won't be using this particular program, so it doesn't really matter to me.

I had a quit button in my earlier versions but removed it because it seemed to me to be rather off the usual Android app design where you usually manage your apps with the screen bar options (back and home) and remove them by swiping away. And I wanted to make this app as much Androidish as possible.
    Nevertheless I haven't got become too warm with (or simply do not fully understand the logic of) this kind of system usage (I am too much desktop orientated) hence I may add a quit option again.

The MorphOS version is just a small goodie anyway - the program is not designed for a desktop system. I release this for MorphOS because a) MorphOS is my development system and b) it may be seen as very a little promotion for MorphOS from my side.

Anyway, things I learned from writing this program -and this is what brings me back to the topic of this thread:
    a) writing an Android app with Hollywood is pretty possible,
    b) getting (paying) users on Android is possible,too. But definitely not easy and/or in masses (unless you write a must have).
    c) the "write once, run on multiple platforms" approach of Hollywood is technically rather easily possible, but in case of Android vs. the other supported systems not a too convincing option since a touch optimized UI is rather stupid on a desktop system. Plus there are afew things limited and rather different on Android.
    d) avoid hardcoded screen positions, texts and IDs as much as possible (of course I knew before, but ignored this too much...).
    e) put more efforts to a clever lay out of the program(ming) flow and methods before writing actual code (eventually I nearly got lost in button mania, I think this simple app contains way too much individual buttons to keep track off - more than 200 if I counted correctly).
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »29.01.17 - 22:46
    Profile Visit Website