Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

pampers wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Having a family will do that to you.
    Good to hear.

Naah it's just a lame excuse, I have 2nd son, 6 months old now and still have some spare time ;)

I just exchanged messages with a girl I know who gave me hard time for expecting her to help me with something when her work hours just went up to 7AM to 12AM five days a week(she is a single mother raising two boys), so I'm pretty sure raising and supporting children can eat up your free time.

Frankly, I prefer pets. ;-)
    They don't complain as much, they are usually glad to see you, and if they really piss you off you can eat them.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »24.01.17 - 15:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Frankly, I prefer pets. ;-)
    They don't complain as much, they are usually glad to see you, and if they really piss you off you can eat them.

You can eat them???

What kind of pets are you keeping Jim?

I know you were just joking, but that is one of the strangest things to write in a forum post, that I have ever seen. I hope your pets are chickens, and not dogs.

Edit: As for the amount of extra free time that is lost, when a person has children, if you aren't almost down to zero free time after your child is born, you aren't doing the parenting part right, or you are putting too much of the responsibility on your spouse, and they will shortly resent your choices of how you are using your free time, and you might end up spending all of your time without a spouse and child, if you are not careful. Take Jim and my word on this one, as I believe we both have previous experience in this area (though I am not sure Jim has any children).

My advice; spend as much time with your children as you can, because they grow up so fast, and then they are gone, moving out to pursue their own lives, and you are left wishing that they would visit you more often. Trust me, you can't get too much of your children, and all parents miss them once they are grown up and living away from home in their own places.

[ Edited by amigadave 24.01.2017 - 11:08 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »24.01.17 - 19:00
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Yes David, I was kidding, I wouldn't eat my dog (I'd sooner turn to cannibalism).
    And children? My ex-wife is 17 years younger than me and we decided it would be best not to have any.
    I get borrow them often enough from my sisters (which unlike having your own has the side benefit of being able to give them back to their parents).

But yes, I think it can border a full time job, if you are involved in the kid's life.

Anyway, if Fab is fairly new to this, he might find it a bit intense.
    I'm the oldest in my family and had a hand in helping raise my siblings, so babies don't phase me.
  • »24.01.17 - 19:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

pampers wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Having a family will do that to you.
    Good to hear.

Naah it's just a lame excuse, I have 2nd son, 6 months old now and still have some spare time ;)

You're wife must really love you. ;)
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »24.01.17 - 20:11
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:

She does, trust me :) I have a comfort of working at home.
    But coming back to the topic, I don't blame Fab. I'm losing interest in "hobby computing" myself for a long time now.
    I treat computer as a tool to make money, my spare time I'd prefer to spend offline with my family.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »25.01.17 - 08:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    'I'm losing interest in "hobby computing" myself for a long time now.'

I wish, I will loose it one day... On the other hand, it is sad to read this.
  • »25.01.17 - 08:52
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

pampers wrote:
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:

She does, trust me :) I have a comfort of working at home.
    But coming back to the topic, I don't blame Fab. I'm losing interest in "hobby computing" myself for a long time now.
    I treat computer as a tool to make money, my spare time I'd prefer to spend offline with my family.

I understand that, after all, computers are just tools.
    My interest ebbs and flows depending on my mood.
  • »25.01.17 - 10:00