Does AmigaE survive an architecture change?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    In case the new MorphOS runs on x86_64 or ARM would there be a native AmigaE/PortablE build?
    PortablE is still maintained, so chances are good?
    But standard AmigaE or ECX?

Manfred

[ Edited by asrael22 13.01.2017 - 20:33 ]
  • »13.01.17 - 17:21
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    unlikely
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »14.01.17 - 11:51
    Kronos
    PortableE generates C source code which can be compiled pretty much everywhere from 6502 to MIPS so that should work atleast on the compiler level.

How that generated code will cope with API changes and wether PortableE will be adapted to those is a different matter.
  • »14.01.17 - 12:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Well, ECX's source is public, so one (maybe Leif himself?) could add a new target!?

I already fixed some smaller bugs myself (including a bug in the library generator).

I didn't have the knowledge now to add a new target myself, but maybe in the future when MorphOS 4 (or 5) will be released.
    The longer it takes, the more time I have to eventually learn how to do it;)
  • »14.01.17 - 15:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    For PortablE, Chris is maintaining this for more than 10 years. I believe he can add a new target as well (maybe with help of others).
    OK, I didn't know the sources for ECX were public domain.

Manfred
  • »14.01.17 - 15:55
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Leif
    Quote:

igracki wrote:
    Well, ECX's source is public, so one (maybe Leif himself?) could add a new target!?

I already fixed some smaller bugs myself (including a bug in the library generator).

I didn't have the knowledge now to add a new target myself, but maybe in the future when MorphOS 4 (or 5) will be released.
    The longer it takes, the more time I have to eventually learn how to do it;)

Hi Thomas.

I doubt I'll add the x86 target, myself anyway, due to lack of time and I rather work on a new lang/compiler if i would get the time.. :) Anyway anyone who would be willing to
    attempt this, can email me and I will try answer any questions. I have put up the source
    on bitbucket for now (https://bitbucket.org/sproing/ecx). But not sure if there are any suitable tools for version control on Amiga/MorphOS yet (uses GIT). This is not the absolutely latest yet (just a copy of the latest public archive) I will add some more
    fixes by me and others in coming days.

/Leif
  • »14.01.17 - 21:45
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    I would imagine making x86 target is not a trivial task. Lots of native things to be done, mabe even in Assembler.

Manfred
  • »15.01.17 - 11:39