Maddening User Interface
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ausPPC
    It seems that I have to include a third row of label objects under 'VRSAVE' in order for the the columns to be centered...

Centered 2a7z8gm.png vs not centered eueerr.png

Source file on github.

Any suggestions, hints etc are most welcome.
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »11.01.17 - 21:30
    Profile Visit Website
    Tcheko
    Hi,

It isn't really clear about what you'd like to achieve.

Also, as a side note, wouldn't it be nicer to use inverted text for bit state instead of wasting space with 0/1 (single_bits array) ?

Inverted text label would means bit is high. Just an idea to streamline a bit the UI.

++

[ Edited by Tcheko 11.01.2017 - 21:54 ]
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »11.01.17 - 21:46
    Profile Visit Website
    ausPPC
    Thank you for the quick reply. I'm still just scratching the surface with MUI and I don't know what inverted text is - so please tell me more. Also, I agree about there being too many individual elements (and this is just one window out of several) but I don't know any alternative. So again, I'm open to suggestions.
  • »11.01.17 - 22:17
    Profile Visit Website
    Tcheko
    Quote:

ausPPC wrote:
    Thank you for the quick reply. I'm still just scratching the surface with MUI and I don't know what inverted text is - so please tell me more. Also, I agree about there being too many individual elements (and this is just one window out of several) but I don't know any alternative. So again, I'm open to suggestions.

Inverted text is when the background is drawn with foreground color. that's JAM2 rastport mode afair.

It is like when you select some text with the mouse. Foreground/background colors are inverted.

There is an escape sequence for that. I think it is "\033B". Didn't checked.

Also, you could experiment MUIA_Group_Spacing, 0 to save some window estate and pack label tighter.
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »11.01.17 - 22:38
    Profile Visit Website
    ausPPC
    Quote:

It isn't really clear about what you'd like to achieve.

Admittedly, the difference in element alignment between those captured windows is minor but, now that I've noticed it, it's quite irritating...

In the 'not centered' image, the zeros under 'VRSAVE' appear to be left aligned (yes, you have to look closely - they're only out by a pixel or two). That doesn't seem to be the case with the other groups - but those groups have other rows of elements following the zeros. So, in the 'centered' image, I added another row (without changing any other MUI attribute tags) which seems to have caused the desired alignment...

Maybe I've stumbled upon a bug in MUI...
  • »12.01.17 - 21:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    The single_bits objects are using MUIA_Width_FixWidthTxt - so basically you're telling the MUI engine that the object must not exceed the width of the "0" character while you want the columns containing those objects to fix larger objects too. The proper approach would be to use MUIA_HorizWeight with a low value (you've got to experiment there a bit) on all the objects in a column.
  • »13.01.17 - 01:01
    Profile Visit Website