FS: iBook 1.42Ghz, 14" for $60 + shipping (US)
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    -Edit-
    Dropped to $60.

I figured I'd offer this here before heading to Fleabay later tonight. This laptop currently has MorphOS (Demo) installed. Everything works. It currently has 768MB RAM installed but is easily expandable to 1.5GB. Included is power supply (charger), mini-VGA to VGA adapter and mini-VGA to S-video/composite adapter.

I may or may not have a spare SO-DIMM to increase the RAM to 1.5GB. If you have interest let me know here ASAP. Otherwise I'll probably put OSX back on it and throw it on Fleabay for a quick sale.

Why not get a portable MorphOS box for $60 that stomps $3k+ X1000? I prefer old school payment (money order or check), but can do PayPal if needed.

[ Edited by redrumloa 03.11.2016 - 21:00 ]
  • »11.08.16 - 17:43
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    I figured I'd offer this here before heading to Fleabay later tonight. This laptop currently has MorphOS (Demo) installed. Everything works. It currently has 768MB RAM installed but is easily expandable to 1.5GB. Included is power supply (charger), mini-VGA to VGA adapter and mini-VGA to S-video/composite adapter.

I may or may not have a spare SO-DIMM to increase the RAM to 1.5GB. If you have interest let me know here ASAP. Otherwise I'll probably put OSX back on it and throw it on Fleabay for a quick sale.

Why not get a portable MorphOS box for $75 that stomps $3k+ X1000? I prefer old school payment (money order or check), but can do PayPal if needed.

I have an interested party. Here are a few pics.

2hmhjqo.jpg

n48cw8.jpg

2cehvm1.jpg

http://oi65.tinypic.com/whfeu.jpg
  • »11.08.16 - 20:34
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    More pictures here:

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/sys/5731392006.html

Still available at $75 + shipping here.
  • »14.08.16 - 00:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    More pictures here:

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/sys/5731392006.html

Still available at $75 + shipping here.

How well does MorphOS3.9 support this model of iBook? My sisters & brothers, and myself, purchased this exact model iBook as a birthday present for my mother, when that model was first released (or still being sold new from Apple), and she does not use it much ever since my sister bought her an iPad. Mom is now 88, and only uses her iPad, or iBook for emails, a couple games, or occasional web browsing, and I doubt she will continue to want to keep both devices, so she will probably stop using the iBook, and only use her iPad, in the near future.

I have my 17" PowerBook, which works great, but it might be nice to have a 14" iBook to run MorphOS on when traveling, as it would be lighter and easier to take with me, when mom no longer wants it, instead of having her give it away to someone who won't take advantage of running MorphOS on it, and likely send it to a recycle facility in the near future.

Good luck selling it, but if it does not sell within the next month, maybe you would consider selling it to me at a discount, to be raffled off at this year's AmiWest Show in Sacramento. I don't mind paying the MorphOS display table rental each year (except for the 1 or 2 years when other users donated to help pay for the table fee), and I have donated several systems in the past as raffle prizes that were given away at AmiWest Shows, but money is tighter these days, and I don't have as much to spend on promoting MorphOS, as I would like.

I would be willing to split the cost of donating it as a raffle prize, by giving you $50 for it, if you would pay for the shipping to Northern Calif., but of course, I hope you sell it for the full price you want first, and only offer the donation option as an alternative for you, if you are interested in supporting MorphOS is that way.

Last year (or was it the year before?) I purchased a similar (or same) G4 iBook from Paul Resendez/Acill, at a discounted price, and we both donated it as a raffle prize at the AmiWest Show he attended. To save shipping costs, you could probably ship it to him in Arizona (if that will lower the postage fee any), as he intends to attend this year's AmiWest Show, and he might be able to bring it with him, but the postage savings probably isn't worth the trouble of forcing Paul to bring another carry on item, or have to check an extra bag, on his flight to Sacramento.

[ Edited by amigadave 14.08.2016 - 13:50 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »14.08.16 - 18:47
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote:
    Hi redrumloa,

shipping to France is possible ?

If yes, what are the shipping cost please ?

Yes but shipping is expensive. It would be $66.55 by USPS Priority Mail International.
  • »14.08.16 - 19:12
    Kronos
    @amigadave

Only issues are the low resolution and missing 2 CMD key (both keys send the same code).
    This model also has the the 2 finger USB-trackpad.

...... but......

at 14" it is only slightly smaller/lighter compared to a 15" PB which will offer more RAM (unless broken 2nd slot) better keyboard and better resolution (even for the older 5.6).

IMO the only iBook worth buying is the 12" 1.33GHz (same specs as the 14" 1.42), this one is really compact compared to the PBs making it's shortcomings a viable compromise.
  • »14.08.16 - 20:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    @amigadave

Only issues are the low resolution and missing 2 CMD key (both keys send the same code).
    This model also has the the 2 finger USB-trackpad.

...... but......

at 14" it is only slightly smaller/lighter compared to a 15" PB which will offer more RAM (unless broken 2nd slot) better keyboard and better resolution (even for the older 5.6).

IMO the only iBook worth buying is the 12" 1.33GHz (same specs as the 14" 1.42), this one is really compact compared to the PBs making it's shortcomings a viable compromise.

All very good points!

Thanks for the info, you have me convinced that I don't really want to keep my Mom's 14" G4 iBook, when she is done using it, and I will probably end up installing MorphOS on it, and either selling it, or more likely, donating it to be raffled as a prize at one of the AmiWest Shows.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »16.08.16 - 00:22
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    This is actually still available, I am still leery about going to Fleabay. I've grown to hate it so much. I'll drop the price to $60 if someone on MZ wants it.
  • »04.11.16 - 01:59
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    I have one, it works great. Unlike slower iBooks(except for the 1.33), its got an R300 based gpu.
    Its compact, the processor is a fast G4, and mine has had zero problems in the last three years except I had one keycap pop off (which if I'd located it, would have been easy to reinstall, then again replacements are easy to find since they made a LOT of these laptops).

For $60, plus the new low registration fee for the key, its dirt cheap MorphOS system.
    And remember, its got a dvd drive built in.

If I didn't have one, I'd buy it.
    For that matter...I might still.

And the difference between the 12" and the 14" model is minor.

I will admit to a preference to smaller laptops though, the Lenovo i7 X201i I'm typing this on is only a 12" (damned neat little thing though).

But a larger display and a 100MHz faster cpu, the laptop Red is talking about is fine (its the 17" laptops I don't get).

[ Edited by Jim 03.11.2016 - 23:46 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »04.11.16 - 04:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Unlike slower iBooks(except for the 1.33), its got an R300 based gpu.

Yes, the 12" 1.33 GHz one has R300, but the 14" 1.33 GHz one has R200.
  • »04.11.16 - 07:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    iBooks are said to have quite a good build quality (except small cracks in the pastic). I also like the white cases.
    If I weren't in EU (shipping cost rather prohibitive) and hadn't a Powerbook already (plus another spare ibook 12", on reg'ed), I'd bite. But I encourage others who don't have a laptp yet to do so.
    It's a nice offer.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »04.11.16 - 09:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Unlike slower iBooks(except for the 1.33), its got an R300 based gpu.

Yes, the 12" 1.33 GHz one has R300, but the 14" 1.33 GHz one has R200.

Worth noting. I really like the gpu in the 1.42.
    The R200 variant Andreas has mentioned might be interesting to someone concerned with Ward3D.
    Frankly, I think the R300 version is far more desirable.
  • »04.11.16 - 10:26
  • Just looking around
    relyt
    Expressing interest if it's still available. I'm in Kansas.
    UDP packet bar walks a into.
  • »27.11.16 - 17:18
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

relyt wrote:

You'll like it.
    I've bought two hi-res 1.67 PowerBooks and shipped them to friends in Europe.
    So I've had a chance to use the best laptop we support, and I like the more compact form factor of the iBooks.
    The difference between the 12" and 14" models is negligible in my opinion.

Neither is as bulky as the idiotic 17" laptops that are everywhere in the US (my own preference being my 14" iBook OR my even more compact 12" Lenovo i7).

So PM redrumloa.
    Jim may not have even noticed that you dredged this thread back up.
    He just shipped me a registered FW800 G4 that he let me have at a really good price.

We've sold each other hardware before and I know he's reliable.
  • »27.11.16 - 23:50
  • Just looking around
    relyt
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

relyt wrote:

You'll like it.
    I've bought two hi-res 1.67 PowerBooks and shipped them to friends in Europe.
    So I've had a chance to use the best laptop we support, and I like the more compact form factor of the iBooks.
    The difference between the 12" and 14" models is negligible in my opinion.

Neither is as bulky as the idiotic 17" laptops that are everywhere in the US (my own preference being my 14" iBook OR my even more compact 12" Lenovo i7).

So PM redrumloa.
    Jim may not have even noticed that you dredged this thread back up.
    He just shipped me a registered FW800 G4 that he let me have at a really good price.

We've sold each other hardware before and I know he's reliable.

Thanks for the heads-up. I did manage to reach him via PM.
    UDP packet bar walks a into.
  • »28.11.16 - 02:54