Anyone keeping up with Tower 57?
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I dont know if I was supposed to recieve a dropbox link to the beta of OSX / Windows version..so I said screw it and downloaded the Windows version. Fixing to test it out. I've been keeping up with the news/progress and man, this game looks bad ass from the email updates I've been getting.

Latest update:
    http://pixwerk.net/home/news/33-the-research-center

I paid for the MorphOS version (or contributed so that the MorphOS version was created?). I havent been excited about a game in years and this one looks damn good. Speaking of games, Death's Gambit on the PS4 is another I'm waiting on..but thats another thread.

Anyway...anyone else getting this game?
  • »27.06.16 - 16:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I'm getting it, but didn't pay to participate in the Alpha, or Beta testing phase of the development. I still get all the email updates regarding progress on the Alpha, and now the Beta versions being released, and it does look like a great retro style game, but with better artwork and animation sequences. I'm not sure how much I will play it once it is released for MorphOS, which will likely be 4 to 6 months after Daytona gets the final source code to port it, but I'm sure I will have several goes at it, just to see what gems it has to show throughout the different levels.

I try to support all new games and software applications written for AmigaOS & MorphOS, either with donations, or a purchase. If we don't support our remaining programmers, soon we will not have any left.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »27.06.16 - 17:11
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    As far as I know, the plan was (more or less) to complete the game first, and then start work on porting to more obscure platforms.

In addition, the porter decided that he'd discard the used SDL2 and use his own, more "native" framework instead, so that will likely take a bit more time than for other platforms.
  • »27.06.16 - 17:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jupp3 wrote:
    As far as I know, the plan was (more or less) to complete the game first, and then start work on porting to more obscure platforms.

In addition, the porter decided that he'd discard the used SDL2 and use his own, more "native" framework instead, so that will likely take a bit more time than for other platforms.

Yes, it might take Daytona more time that 4 to 6 months to complete. I was just guessing that he could do it in that time frame from his impressive work in the past, and since he uses his own display routines, which have previously been created, and can be reused on Tower 57, and other new games, or ports, without having to invent it again. Daniel might be busy with other projects as well, and it might take a year or more to finish Tower 57, but I would be surprised if it takes that long. My 4 to 6 month estimate is nothing more than a wild guess, with no basis for believing in it, but as talented as Daniel is, maybe he will complete the port in even less time than my guess. Only he can tell, and probably only after he receives the source code, to see how much work it will be for him to port it.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »27.06.16 - 19:17
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Daytona675x
    I'm not monitoring any forums these days but coincidentially today is an exception because of this Cherry-Darling issue :-P
    Positive aspect of this is that I just saw this topic here and can answer it immediately ;-)

Porting it won't take long.
    From the type and amount of work to do it is comparable to the BattleSquadron backport which only took me some days until it worked (although I spent some more weeks on enhancing it after all). And back then I had no experience with NG Amigas and no framework...

No, unless the Tower57 guys did real weird things (and they promised to give me clean stuff) it will not take long.
    However, I didn't get the source-code yet, I asume they are working on the last 5%-10% of the game... much like I with Wings Remastered ;-)
    Luckily the OpenGLES2 construction site has been finished some two weeks ago, so I'm more or less prepared to handle Tower57 in parallel :-)

Cheers,
    Daniel
  • »27.06.16 - 19:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    I just played my beta a bit yesterday. Looks cool but I'm not really gaming person to be honest ;) EDIT: Just to be clear, I have OSX version.

[ Edited by pampers 29.06.2016 - 09:47 ]
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »29.06.16 - 07:47
    Profile Visit Website