Amiga FFS from MorphOS 3.7
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Furvert
    Would an Amiga A1200 read a drive formatted with FFS on a Pegasos II MorphOS 3.7. I thought I remember seeing that FFS for MorphOS is actually 2.0 and wouldn't work.

I'm hoping to format and then copy the back up I have of AOS 3.9 boing bags 1 & 2 to the A1200.

Thank you
  • »08.09.14 - 05:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    The part of FFS in MorphOS that's '2.0' is the implementation, not the filesystem itself. MorphOS can read all versions of FFS (plain, international, directory cache, long names), so yes, you should be able to connect your old Amiga hard disk and use it.

What you need to be careful of, however, is to set up your system so that one of the following two is true:
    1) Your MorphOS partition has a unique device name (mdh0:, for example) and that Open Firmware is configured to boot MorphOS with 'bootdevice=mdh0:' as an argument
    2) Your MorphOS partition has a higher boot priority than any partition on the second disk you're connecting.

If not, you risk that MorphOS might try to boot your old Workbench 3.1 installation, which is unlikely to go well.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »08.09.14 - 06:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Furvert
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    The part of FFS in MorphOS that's '2.0' is the implementation, not the filesystem itself. MorphOS can read all versions of FFS (plain, international, directory cache, long names), so yes, you should be able to connect your old Amiga hard disk and use it.

I must have said it wrong. I'm not trying to use an Amiga hard disk on MorphOS. I'm trying to format a hard disk on the Pegasos II so I can use it on the Amiga. I figured it could read FFS, but can it write it that the A1200 can use it??
  • »08.09.14 - 06:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Ah, OK. Well, that should work just fine too. You'll have to take care of the boot priority thing still, though.

Assuming the disk is blank, open up HDConfig from the Tools drawer on your MorphOS partition. Find the disk in there, right click on the disk icon on the left and make sure 'RDB' is selected. Then click on the empty space to the right of the disk icon. Create one partition. Click on the newly created partition.

First you want to make sure that the partition is no more than 2GB big. To be on the safe side, in the field labelled 'Size in MByte', choose a value less than 2000. Under 'Status:', choose 'boot with priority' and set the priority to -1. Filesystem should be set to 'FFS Intl'. Finally, if you want your disk to work a lot faster at the expense of a little bit of space waste per file, choose a block size of 4096. Click OK and click on the save button that appears under the disk icon in the previous window.

You should now be ready to format the partition through Ambient and copy files onto it.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »08.09.14 - 07:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    NicePics13
    Actually did this a few weeks ago - needed to set up a 4GB CF card for use in an A1200 instead of a regular harddrive. Partitioning went just fine in MorphOS, made two smaller FFS parts and one huge 3GB PFS3 part (remember to set max transfer: 0x1FE00 on the partitions if connecting to the internal IDE!).
    One minor problem was the identical naming of these partitions, if I connect it now Workbench completely takes over :D but I won't be using this particular card as removable media in MorphOS..

CBM Amiga 1200 + 4MB AMITEK with 33MHz 68882 FPU
    PowerBook5,4 1024MB 1333MHz G4
  • »08.09.14 - 10:44
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Furvert
    Thank you very much! I guess they told me wrong. I may look into a new card then. I have a 512M. This will help loads!
  • »08.09.14 - 16:23
    Profile Visit Website