PowerMac G5 Booting problem
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    CountRaven
    Hello there people. I have a weird little problem on my PowerMac G5

I install latest 3.5.1.

Two partitions 1 boot partition: DH0 (HFS), 1 System Partition DH1 (SFS)

Everything installs and works perfectly except the booting process.

When I boot the system as is, it would boot but it would complain about old boot.img file. I formated everything before I install from a fresh CD, so NO old boot.img files anywehre!

Pressing alt I wold get on the boot select screen two hard disk icons with butterflies. I guess those are the partitions I created. The right one is grayed by default and booting from this one I get the old boot.img error.

Now, IF I select the left hard disk icon, the system would boot ok.

I tried various settings on HDConfig with bootable and not bootable partitions and boot priorities: same symptoms.

Now my DH0 partition is not set to bootable -I remember I was leave it no bootable, when I created other partition setups for multiboot-, yes this is the boot partition in HFS format.

My system partition DH1 (SFS) has been set to bootable with boot priority 1.

I even copied boot.img in both partitions but no success.

First of all what the hell is this old boot.img error? My hard disk is totally empty.

Is there any way to get rid of this problem and boot my machine to MorphOS without the need of manual boot pressing alt?

Thanks for your tips guys!
  • »21.06.14 - 07:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Norbi
    Are you sure that the boot.img is for the G5?
  • »21.06.14 - 07:51
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    It really sounds that you have two boot image partitions, because you can see two partitions on boot select menu. But if you can't see two HFS partitions on HDConfig... hmm.. you don't happen to have two physically different hard disks in your system or something like that which would now contain the other boot image partition?

Anyway, boot image partition (DH0/HFS) is supposed to be shown in that menu, but system partition (DH1/SFS) shouldn't be shown there. Bootable flag should only be on DH1/SFS partition, because it's a flag for booting the MorphOS system, not the Mac itself.

Boot image partition DH0/HFS should contain boot.img and bootinfo.txt and couple of other files and those aren't supposed to be on any SFS partition.

For me it looks that you must have second HFS partition somewhere with the old boot.img. Is it on the same HD or different, but somewhere... I'd look all devices with HDConfig once again :) Old boot image partition might not be visible to desktop, because it doesn't have to be mounted for the operation, so don't trust what you see on desktop/device lists on MorphOS, you must check it with HDConfig or mount it visible with Mounter.

[ Edited by jPV 21.06.2014 - 06:55 ]
  • »21.06.14 - 07:52
    Profile Visit Website
    boot_wb
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    It really sounds that you have two boot image partitions, because you can see two partitions on boot select menu. But if you can't see two HFS partitions on HDConfig... hmm.. you don't happen to have two physically different hard disks in your system or something like that which would now contain the other boot image partition?

Anyway, boot image partition (DH0/HFS) is supposed to be shown in that menu, but system partition (DH1/SFS) shouldn't be shown there. Bootable flag should only be on DH1/SFS partition, because it's a flag for booting the MorphOS system, not the Mac itself.

Boot image partition DH0/HFS should contain boot.img and bootinfo.txt and couple of other files and those aren't supposed to be on any SFS partition.

For me it looks that you must have second HFS partition somewhere with the old boot.img. Is it on the same HD or different, but somewhere... I'd look all devices with HDConfig once again :) Old boot image partition might not be visible to desktop, because it doesn't have to be mounted for the operation, so don't trust what you see on desktop/device lists on MorphOS, you must check it with HDConfig or mount it visible with Mounter.

+1 for two parititons with blessed bootloaders.

Also remove any bootable USB media, and (unlikely) disconnect any other Macs connected via Firewire which are booted in target disk mode (rebooted whilst holiding 't' iirc). CDs at least are obvious from their icon.

[ Edited by boot_wb 21.06.2014 - 10:00 ]
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »21.06.14 - 12:56
    Profile Visit Website
    CountRaven
    Really strange, Nothing else appears on HDConfig only the partitions I manually made. I even made the system to go on an automatic installation having the partition made by the install program. But the problem remains.

On mounter an ide device on unit 1 would appear and all my partitions would be there.
    And a 2nd ide.device would appear in until 0 with no partition table. I guess this is for the optical drive?

I will check the machine to track down a second hard disk (???) and I will erase everything with a MacOSX install CD starting from scratch again.

No usb drives, connected Macs or other media on the machine / network.
  • »21.06.14 - 15:11
    Profile Visit Website
    CountRaven
    The machine got a second hard disk, this hard disk as never shown under MorphOS. Not visible on HDConfig or on mounter. However it had MorphOS installed, so perhaps it was used as a single hard disk or it was visible under an older version of MorphOS. So yes the OS was installed there as well.

I booted MAcOSX and erased it.

I have seen this bug (?) before on PowerMacs: On machines with two hard disks only one would be recognized.
  • »22.06.14 - 13:49
    Profile Visit Website