Hard drive size/geometry incorrect?
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I have a 20 gig Maxtor hard drive..originally when I recieved my Peg I, I installed the hd, created my bi0 and dh0 partitions.. 20 meg for bi0, 8.7 gigs for dh0... which left about 11 gigs unused... at the time I didnt care. When I would go into Unit Control and partition I would see that the sectors and a few other things were incorrect but I put off backing up and redoing it because I was having alot of fun. Well since I need HD space, it was time to re-do this.. I backed up the drive, reformatted, repartitioned...and this time I clicked I *think* reload geometry and the sectors etc was correct yet when I go to partition, I *still* only says I have a 9 gig hd. And also when I save, unit control tells me that the settings I have do not match what is in RDBG (or something like that..I'm at work and cannot give you the exact message)..

Any clues as to how I can get it to recognize the full 20 gigs? btw, this is using MOS 1.4.
  • »18.02.04 - 15:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Just click "Reload geometry" in the "Config drive" window and you are done. Perhaps click "Save Changes" and reboot to play safe.

That is all.

Btw formatting partitions wont erase RDB.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »18.02.04 - 16:45
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    yes, I've done that, yet the information is reported incorrectly. After I setup bi0 as 20 meg, and dh0 as 8 gig, I go to create another partition, supposed to have ~11 gigs free, but when you I go to create it, I have at the most 40 or so sectors left which translates to about 8 megs or some very small number.. where is the 11 gigs?
  • »18.02.04 - 16:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    try to delete rdb too... works similiar like removing MBR you just need a bigger file :)

hdwrite DEVICE ide.device UNIT 0 FILE <somefilewhichisbiggerthan1024bytes> SECTOR 0

should also destroy the RDB (indeed.. you data goes lost then, so make a backup :)

Then try to reload geometry.

regrads,
    tokai
  • »18.02.04 - 17:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    aaah...never tried that before. I will do that tonight(after I get out of work..about 8 hrs from now)
  • »18.02.04 - 17:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    umm... Shouldn't you click "Optimal geometry" button?
  • »18.02.04 - 17:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I've tried both..the one on the left gives me a correct # of sectors..the one in the middle is incorrect.
  • »18.02.04 - 18:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    tried it..nothing worked...it still shows incorrectly. If I try to tell it to create a 20meg partition for bi0, 8 gig for dh0, and force it to try 10gigs for whatevers left it tells me there is a partition area conflict..

I tried hdwrite and also reload geometry...
  • »19.02.04 - 01:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    MarK
    When I installed my 80 gig hdd, and clicked the optimal geometry button or so, it was read badly. So I got some information about my hdd from WDC website, entered it, and it works flawlessly... AFAIK, the only important information, is the total number of sectors, that mustn't exceed the top sectors value of the hdd, else You would rewrite Your data :PPP

Bye, MarK.
  • »19.02.04 - 07:42
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    got everything working correctly (with a different hd)..since I was
    upgrading my pc, I pulled the 18gig maxtor out of it and put it in the
    Peggy..all works great.. created 3 partitions.. all 18 gigs available.
    I dont know if its just me, but it seems as though it runs faster now
    (disk I/O).

maybe the previous hd was not "compatible" ? it was a Maxtor Fireball
    3 2F020J 20 gig ata/133.

-Alex
  • »20.02.04 - 13:28
    Profile Visit Website