Grunch broken?
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    3.5.1 on a G5 PowerMac.

I'm runnig Grunch and it says there's a new Leif db or something, so I tell it to download. It then starts going thru my software and I see a whole bunch of Fatal errors. Does this thing work? I mean..I dunno about you, but "Fatal unable to find <software title here>" means it doesnt work, right?

[ Edited by TheMagicM 13.05.2014 - 17:59 ]
  • »13.05.14 - 23:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    Sorry but I am very confused, and your error report sounds vague. Is this your first time using Grunch? The last time I used Grunch, I make sure it finishes scanning the databases and installed software before attempting any download.

Grunch "fatal" messages occur often. Also if software download failed, check again hours later.

Also, try to restart Grunch.

I hope my tips help. If they didn't help, I apologize because I did not understand your question and as a result I might have made a fool of myself.
    :-) I Support Quark Microkernel. :-D
  • »14.05.14 - 01:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    WB_Coder
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    3.5.1 on a G5 PowerMac.

I'm runnig Grunch and it says there's a new Leif db or something, so I tell it to download. It then starts going thru my software and I see a whole bunch of Fatal errors. Does this thing work? I mean..I dunno about you, but "Fatal unable to find <software title here>" means it doesnt work, right?

No, it doesn't mean it isn't working, but it might not be working. It means that it can't find the software title you are attempting to download and install, or update.

This could be caused by many different things, some of which are unrelated to your system, or Grunch working correctly. The server where the software title is located might be down for some reason, your connection might be down for some reason. With so many error messages, I would wonder if your Internet connection was perhaps down, or having problems.

The databases that make Grunch work need to be kept up to date, or the program might be looking in the wrong location for the most recent files.

Probably several other reasons why it may not be working correctly.
    WB_Coder = Wanna Be Coder
  • »14.05.14 - 04:53
    hooligan
    Quote:

WB_Coder wrote:
    With so many error messages, I would wonder if your Internet connection was perhaps down, or having problems.

As Grunch found an updated database his internet connection was hardly at fault.

I just tried running Grunch and it halted at "FATAL unable to find http://www.geit.de/images/grunch/Zormanita" and that is cos such file does not exist.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »14.05.14 - 05:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:
    Quote:

WB_Coder wrote:
    With so many error messages, I would wonder if your Internet connection was perhaps down, or having problems.

As Grunch found an updated database his internet connection was hardly at fault.

I just tried running Grunch and it halted at "FATAL unable to find http://www.geit.de/images/grunch/Zormanita" and that is cos such file does not exist.

Grunch is checking Geit.de for images as I stored some logos localy on my server. It does not men there is a real problem.

Grunch does not rely on a specific server. Once you have a database on your harddrive, Grunch will use it.

E.g. when HAK is updating his database on his server, Grunch is getting it from HAKs server specified within the database. same for his software. This way each developer can add files independently without any need of maintainance or change due the main Grunch database.

If some archive fails, it is most likly caused by a server. So, if HAKs software fails to install, it is likly that his server is down for some reason.

Recently the secondary MorphOS-Files Server was out of sync, which caused several errors, as Grunch tries to split access between all available mirrors. In this case you simply needed to try again to get the other mirror.

Geit
  • »14.05.14 - 06:57
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    WB_Coder
    Never mind

[ Edited by WB_Coder 15.05.2014 - 11:02 ]
    WB_Coder = Wanna Be Coder
  • »15.05.14 - 19:01
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM