Problems with yweather sbar
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    Your sbar is awesome and works flawless on my system! However I had to update manually from1.5 because Grunch didn't recognize/notify for your latest version. Just fyi :)
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »08.04.14 - 20:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    @igracki

I actually liked that you would see detailed information the moment you put the pointer over the bar. Maybe you could make it optional?

I agree, I think the option of either instantaneous, OR delayed. Though why you want it delayed - other than for when you might accidentally move over the yWeather part of the menu bar to prevent activating it then I don't otherwise see the reason for wanting a delay, but probably that's the reason some others want the delayed display of the yWeather information.

I was just using v1.6 - prior to updating to v1.7 .............. by the way ............. THANKS ......
    When I noticed that when I changed from one screen Ambient, where I had updated/refreshed the weather information, but when I switched to OWB, which I run on another MUI screen, the weather information had NOT been updated/refreshed, and needed to be updated/refreshed on that screen as well.

So, I was not sure if you know about this issue, or if it has been remedied in v1.7, because now I have updated the weather, it has not changed in the last few minutes so I cannot tell if the program now updates each running instance of the program, whichever screen it may be working/running on.

Hope this helps, and once again THANKS for an excellent little utility. 8-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »09.04.14 - 14:06
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    @igracki

I actually liked that you would see detailed information the moment you put the pointer over the bar. Maybe you could make it optional?

I agree, I think the option of either instantaneous, OR delayed. Though why you want it delayed - other than for when you might accidentally move over the yWeather part of the menu bar to prevent activating it then I don't otherwise see the reason for wanting a delay, but probably that's the reason some others want the delayed display of the yWeather information.

I got annoyed because it jumped up all the time when I was going to use other modules. I use debug and volume modules quite much for example.. and depth gadget... and I seem to drag the mouse anywhere to top border of the screen and then move the pointer more exact position :)

If optional isn't that easy to do, maybe there could be done some rethinking how it's used. Maybe it could be show the detailed bubble with left mouse button (almost as fast as shown immediately automatically) and force refresh with some other button?
  • »09.04.14 - 15:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I have just replaced the v1.6 with v1.7, but I have to say that v1.7 does not seem to display the information window correctly.

It does initially open the information bubble-info' window soon after it has been launched and you go to the menubar, BUT, once you have seen the 'bubble-info' window it does not seem to want to display it again until some other activity has occurred on the screen you are using, such as typing into a requester, or inputting some data into a URL field, etc, but it will not display the 'bubble-info' once it has displayed it once, UNTIL some other action has occurred on the screen that triggers it to respond again, which seems wrong. Even if I wait for about 20 seconds, which in any case would be far too long a wait for the 'bubble-information' to 'pop-up' it does not do so in a reasonable amount of time, so the delay issue is causing some sort of re-display issue/problem that now appears to need fixing.

It correctly re-positions itself on the menubar as/when I open/close other utilities like Jukebox but the re-display issue seems to be a new problem.

I tried the Update - middle mouse button option, which worked correctly, and opens the 'you are already using the latest version of yWeather.sbar' requester in the centre of the screen, but with no option to Snapshot where it opens on future occasions on the screen, so a SNAPSHOT/UNSNAPSHOT option for that requester within the MUI options really could do with implementing so that the requester can be displayed close to the yWeather menubar area. That is so you don't have to move the mouse to the centre area of the screen every time to close the requester.

There is strangely an option to ICONIFY the requester, but I cannot imagine EVER wanting to Iconify the requester, as all I would ever want to do would be to close it, once I have been informed if there is an update or not.

[ Edited by NewSense 09.04.2014 - 18:15 ]
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »09.04.14 - 16:01
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Hi,

the all-info-bubble is now switchable from the current method (waiting some secs over the sbar) to the previous method (instantly open the bubble, when the mouse is over the sbar), via the settings window, default is current method.

Now the vertical position of the text is correct when using smaller fonts than 16 pixels (the height of the image) and displaying the image (%i in Text Format).
    To achieve this I'm now using 3 icon sets (8, 12 ,16), which will be choosed accordingly to the font size!

The UpdateCheck requesters are now positioned under the sbar!

And the 5 seconds update interval on startup when the network isn't online, are really 5 seconds now;)

Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    Your sbar is awesome and works flawless on my system! However I had to update manually from1.5 because Grunch didn't recognize/notify for your latest version. Just fyi :)

I updated my Grunch database on monday, but I didn't tested if the installation work;)

Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    When I noticed that when I changed from one screen Ambient, where I had updated/refreshed the weather information, but when I switched to OWB, which I run on another MUI screen, the weather information had NOT been updated/refreshed, and needed to be updated/refreshed on that screen as well.

Each screen has its own sbar object, I don't really know yet how to be notified when the other yWeather objects are updating...
  • »09.04.14 - 23:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

igracki wrote:
    Each screen has its own sbar object, I don't really know yet how to be notified when the other yWeather objects are updating...

You could have just a single Slave.mui object doing the networking jobs and responding with cached results for data requests (or doing a new network refresh if a certain time has passed). You could use a public Semaphore to let all your instances find the Slave.mui instance for example.
  • »10.04.14 - 07:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I have tried to install 1.8 twice, but it still seems to think it's 1.7 and urges me to update on startup.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »11.04.14 - 10:12
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    Is it possible to add auto-update check on/off at the options menu of the sbar? I dislike having similar messages popping up without my knowledge :)

[ Edited by Cool_amigaN 11.04.2014 - 15:41 ]
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »11.04.14 - 11:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    I have tried to install 1.8 twice, but it still seems to think it's 1.7 and urges me to update on startup.

I deleted the version information on my homepage, so no update req should popup;)

Quote:

Cool_amigaN:
    Is it possible to add auto-update check on/off at the options menu of the sbar? I dislike having similar messages popping up without my knowledge :)

UpdateCheck on startup is disabled in v1.8.

[ Edited by igracki 11.04.2014 - 20:10 ]
  • »11.04.14 - 17:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @igracki

It still claims it's 1.7.

My MorphOS blog
  • »12.04.14 - 11:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    @igracki

It still claims it's 1.7.

What do you see in the settings window? Can you send me a screenshot of it? (yWeather@igracki.de )
    What does the version command say?
    Try to redownload the archive and copy only the sbar.
    The first archive had a wrong date in the version string, although I reuploaded it within 1 hour.
  • »12.04.14 - 12:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I tried copying only the sbar and now it works :-)

My MorphOS blog
  • »12.04.14 - 19:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DanicaTalos
    I have in WOEID a emty list....

It works perfect!!!!

medium_my36gi.jpg
    Mac Mini G4 -1,50 GHz - 64MB VRAM - 1GB RAM - 60GB SSD - MorphOS 3.8
    PowerBook G4 - 1,67 GHz - 128MB VRAM - 2GB RAM - 64GB SSD - Kubuntu 12.04
  • »13.04.14 - 10:55
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    eastone
    Hi,
    Only I can not get it working on 3.10? All the time tries to update but fails every time.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    PS
    False alarm. I used too old version of yweather sbar.

[ Edited by eastone 20.06.2018 - 14:36 ]
  • »20.06.18 - 10:54
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Just spoken to Thomas Igracki, and it seems the yWeather screenbar has an issue getting access to the weather resource that was used, but he is aware of this issue, and is looking for a new free weather provider for yWeather that does not require https, which Yahoo's service now requires it seems, and which Reggae cannot currently handle.
  • »04.01.19 - 17:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    I looked around and yes, OpenWeatherMap seems to be a good candicate for a new oWeather.sbar;)

I signed up there, don't know when I have time though...
    I just (almost) finished building a morphos cross compiler on a raspberry pi!
  • »04.01.19 - 19:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Thanks for the update, and looking forward to it being back functional. ;-)

Nice that jPV's RNOWidgets is filling the gap at the moment. 8-)
  • »06.01.19 - 23:28
    KennyR
    Finding a weather provider who doesn't use https is only a temporary solution I'm afraid. At the rate everyone is switching to https-only, you'll get a year or two before it's blocked too.

Well, that's not true of provided APIs, which will still be in http for some time. But I gather free weather APIs weren't profitable. Makes sense, as they want you to go see their ads to be monetised. Most sites are closing down their free APIs and require payment to get an API key.
  • »09.01.19 - 18:53
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Just wanted to inform you that v1.20 is released!

The forecast is missing but I don't wanted you to wait longer!

Get it here

Or press the middle mouse button over yWeather to check for an update.

Please use the supplied Install script, it will also delete the old icons.
  • »10.01.19 - 20:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I tried the install script, which didn't have a default tool, so it only initially opened the Multiview option of viewing what was in the file. So, I made the default tool the "Installer" but when the installer ran, the files were only copied to sys:, not into the specfiic drawers/folders where the files were required, so I still ended up copying them manually.

However, it does work OK, once I located my "City" from OpenWeatherMap.org's website.

So, thanks Thomas, for getting it working again.
  • »11.01.19 - 08:07
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    I tried the install script, which didn't have a default tool, so it only initially opened the Multiview option of viewing what was in the file. So, I made the default tool the "Installer" but when the installer ran, the files were only copied to sys:, not into the specfiic drawers/folders where the files were required, so I still ended up copying them manually.

It's a normal dos script, not a script for the Installer program!
    On my PowerBook it worked directly from opened archive!
    I double-clicked on the archive then double-clicked on the "Install" file.
    Strange, that it didn't worked for you.
    Quote:

However, it does work OK, once I located my "City" from OpenWeatherMap.org's website.

Why didn't it worked in the yWeather settings?
    Just enter the name of your city with or without a country code and press Return.
    For example: Berlin, De

If you know the city id, you can also enter it there.
  • »11.01.19 - 12:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

igracki wrote:
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:

It's a normal dos script, not a script for the Installer program!
    On my PowerBook it worked directly from opened archive!
    I double-clicked on the archive then double-clicked on the "Install" file.
    Strange, that it didn't worked for you.

Sounds like it had lost the S protection bit at some point when NewSense has been installing it. If that's missing it won't run the script because the icon is a tool icon. Maybe the archive was unpacked on some alien system, or to some alien filesystem, or maybe some unpacker doesn't preserve these (which one?).

It would be better as a project icon and the Default Tool set to "IconX" (not "Installer" in any case). Then it wouldn't affect if the S bit would be missing.

In any case, worked fine here when I unpacked it to ram: and ran it from there.
  • »11.01.19 - 13:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ jPV

The unarchived Install file/icon still had the "S" protection bit set, but it wouldn't find the installer to execute it, but it was easy enough to change the icon information file to have the installer as the default program to run it, but when it ran it created the log which it copied to RAM:

******* Installation Protocol *******

Created by Installer V1.40
    Copyright ©2008 - 2011 Guido Mersmann
    All Rights Reserved.

Install-Script: 'Install'

Aborting script.
    Exiting script...

So, it didn't seem to do anything actually, apart from create the log-file, unless I'm mis-reading the log file? :-?

@ Igracki

Any comments as to why it aborted the installation?

Also, I was looking at the ScreenGrab of the yWeather_settings.png, and spotted a Screenbar module called WebRadio - something I haven't seen available anywhere else for download - so, is there any release/download I ought to be aware of?
  • »12.01.19 - 00:32