"Register ISO" does not seem to patch MorphOS v3.4 ISO - any
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I just downloaded MOS v3.4 CD ISO, and thought as usual I'd create a Registered MorphOS Installation CD of this latest Install CD, but "Register ISO" does not seem to patch MorphOS v3.4 ISO - anyone else tried?

I get an error message "RegisterISO: Unable to find patch position!"

Am I doing something incorrectly?

It worked OK when I created my registered MOS 3.2 CD ISO.

I should also mention that I don't seem to be able to find the older ISO files for earlier versions of MOS in the download area. Have these been removed deliberately or accidentally, or been put somewhere else on the site?

[ Edited by NewSense 14.12.2013 - 23:17 ]
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »15.12.13 - 00:14
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    I just downloaded MOS v3.4 CD ISO, and thought as usual I'd create a Registered MorphOS Installation CD of this latest Install CD, but "Register ISO" does not seem to patch MorphOS v3.4 ISO - anyone else tried?

I get an error message "RegisterISO: Unable to find patch position!"

Am I doing something incorrectly?

It worked OK when I created my registered MOS 3.2 CD ISO.

I should also mention that I don't seem to be able to find the older ISO files for earlier versions of MOS in the download area. Have these been removed deliberately or accidentally, or been put somewhere else on the site?

I did not test if it still works. It may need a tweak, as it is a hack. I will look into it.

Older versions of MorphOS can be found by simply changing the download name. Just click download for the 3.4 image, abort the file requester and change the version inside the url gadget to 3.3 or any other version and press enter.

Geit

EDIT: Just tried and RegisterISO 1.10 works fine. Make sure it is not V1.0. I fixed the detection some time ago for MorphOS 3.3 AFAIR.

Ram Disk:> registeriso morphos-3.4.iso
    RegisterISO: Keyfile 'devs:MorphOS.key' succesfully injected into ISO file 'morphos-3.4.iso'
    Ram Disk:> version c:RegisterISO
    RegisterISO 1.10

[ Edited by geit 15.12.2013 - 00:46 ]
  • »15.12.13 - 00:39
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    geit,
    Quote:

Just tried and RegisterISO 1.10 works fine. Make sure it is not V1.0. I fixed the detection some time ago for MorphOS 3.3 AFAIR.

Thanks for your very quick update

I just tried it again, and also checked the version number of RegisterISO which is v1.10 (08-06-13), but even when I change the name of the MOS v3.4 ISO to how you have spelt it I still get the same error message

I put the ISO file in RAM: and using the execute command I typed "RegisterISO RAM:morphos-3.4.iso"

I cannot think why it is not working if it is working for you !! ??

The ISO file can be viewed as files by just double-clicking the icon, so the archive seems intact as well. It's baffling.

Quote:

Older versions of MorphOS can be found by simply changing the download name. Just click download for the 3.4 image, abort the file requester and change the version inside the url gadget to 3.3 or any other version and press enter.

I thought they might work like that, but why is there no link to them directly from each release page, for easy/straightforward download?

[ Edited by NewSense 15.12.2013 - 00:16 ]
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »15.12.13 - 01:15
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:

I just tried it again, and also checked the version number of RegisterISO which is v1.10 (08-06-13), but even when I change the name of the MOS v3.4 ISO to how you have spelt it I still get the same error message

I put the ISO file in RAM: and using the execute command I typed "RegisterISO RAM:morphos-3.4.iso"

Huh? I just downloaded the iso and that is the name you get, when downloading it. It is not a name I used. Are you sure you used the proper file? The name does not matter at all.

Geit

PS. There is usually no need to download older versions and confuse people with tons of links. There are already 2 links with 2 mirrors each.

[ Edited by geit 15.12.2013 - 01:50 ]
  • »15.12.13 - 01:46
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

geit wrote:
    Huh? I just downloaded the iso and that is the name you get, when downloading it. It is not a name I used. Are you sure you used the proper file? The name does not matter at all.

When I downloaded the ISO file I changed some of the wording of the file for my own purposes, similar to MorphOS-v3.4-CD.iso - just so it was more noticeable for me where I had it filed away, that's all.

I did try it with the ISO with the name I had changed it to, which did not affect v3.2 when I used RegisterISO on that file, but it just won't work for me with 3.4, with my amended filename or as it is named when downloaded from the MorphOS server. It just keeps opening the error window, with the wording I have already mentioned..
    Quote:

geit wrote:
    PS. There is usually no need to download older versions and confuse people with tons of links. There are already 2 links with 2 mirrors each.

I agree, but sometimes a version has a few problems, like the 3.3 version seemed to have for some users, but others may have older hardware or setups that they want to try the older MorphOS versions with.

I understand what you mean, it would just be easier to have a download link on each version page, so users know they are still accessible/available, that is all.

[ Edited by NewSense 15.12.2013 - 01:46 ]
  • »15.12.13 - 02:45
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Further to my last post ...

I just rebooted my Mac Mini which has MOS 3.2 & Chrysalis 3.2 installed, and now when I run the RegisterISO tool it works, and inserts the keyfile into the ISO file, as it has done before on previous ISO files. No error message now - weird or what !

So what was going wrong I don't know, but I maybe should also mention that sometimes I get Simplemail refusing/not sending mail (RCPT error), but if I switch off, then reboot and retry, it usually sends my outgoing e-mails.

I don't know if some utility/program is getting loaded into an area of RAM which is causing this problem but if I didn't mention it then no-one else would know I have this issue with my MorphOS system.
  • »15.12.13 - 03:24
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Further to my last post ...

I just rebooted my Mac Mini which has MOS 3.2 & Chrysalis 3.2 installed, and now when I run the RegisterISO tool it works, and inserts the keyfile into the ISO file, as it has done before on previous ISO files. No error message now - weird or what !

So what was going wrong I don't know, but I maybe should also mention that sometimes I get Simplemail refusing/not sending mail (RCPT error), but if I switch off, then reboot and retry, it usually sends my outgoing e-mails.

I don't know if some utility/program is getting loaded into an area of RAM which is causing this problem but if I didn't mention it then no-one else would know I have this issue with my MorphOS system.

Chrysalis 3.2 is causing problems for many people. You probably have stuff installed twice, which is causing problems. Fact is RegisterISO is just using the dos.library and utility.library, which are stored in boot.img and loading/patching file parts. There is nothing that can cause trouble beside something that trashes memory in a massive way. Also the lack memory of memory (it uses a big buffer for file data caching), would give a proper result.

That is the main problem. You have no idea which application it could be as you did not install any of them. Finding the problem now within a such bloated installation is quite impossible.

Geit
  • »15.12.13 - 11:34