Compose Character:
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    How does MorphOS use Compose Character, also known as AltGr?

I have an idea where to place a Compose Character key.

The ~ ` key next to the ! 1 key is completely useless. Or does this key already work with MorphOS?
    :-) I Support Quark Microkernel. :-D
  • »21.07.13 - 11:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tom01
    The ~ is used for the Quake console and in C programming for the complement.
  • »21.07.13 - 11:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

Tom01 wrote:
    The ~ is used for the Quake console and in C programming for the complement.

Is is also required for shell pattern negation.

Geit
  • »21.07.13 - 11:58
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    Is there any solution for a compose character key or any other way to access those characters?
  • »15.05.15 - 07:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

In_Correct wrote:
    How does MorphOS use Compose Character, also known as AltGr?

I have an idea where to place a Compose Character key.

The ~ ` key next to the ! 1 key is completely useless. Or does this key already work with MorphOS?

There is no compose character in MorphOS really. Some national keyboards do offer alt + 2 letter combos, but only for specific characters (afair the German keyboard does), but that's it.
  • »15.05.15 - 07:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Certainly not just the German keymap. The US English one has plenty of 'compose' keys as you put it, and offers both alt + single and double key press combos to access pretty much every character in ISO8559-1. For example to write the letter "ø" with the US English keymap, you can press alt + o. To write ê, you can press alt + h and then e.

If you open up the Keystroke program which is located in the Utilities drawer on your MorphOS partition, you can see which key combination to use with your keymap to write whichever character you'd like.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »15.05.15 - 09:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    I still think the key is very useless and a Compose Character or AltGraph Function should be added to it, such as a combination with the Control key.

I recently had to figure out how to type the ¢ key with Windows. Instead of copying and pasting, there is also a shortcut key, but it is a rather long shortcut.

ALT + 0162 (while holding ALT) = ¢

:-D

How can ¢ be typed in MorphOS?

Does MorphOS have Alt Codes or is there any way to customize Alt Codes?

Also, because of numerous alt codes, that a chart be displayed when typing "Compose Character" combination. I do not know how to explain it, but the menu can be displayed the same method that striking a "mute" button or "volume up" button or "volume down" button. (Pressing one of these buttons on equipped keyboards causes a Windows laptop to display a volume level). There is also a similar level indicator that displays when adjusting the brightness and contrast. (These also appear similar to the Closed Captioning on television programmes, and also programme guide interface.) But when striking the "mute" button the volume level displays, and then disappears by itself. The chart can do the same things, and this chart would be useful in case people forget the compose key codes.

Also, why stop there? :-D It would be useful to have endless (and perhaps customizeable) key combinations such as typing CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + 1974 =

Calculator.

or something.

For some reason I remembered Digital LK201 having an actual ¢ (probably accessed by Shift) appear on the keyboard, but re-examining Digital LK201 has bizarre keys, no appearance of ¢, but it does have Compose Character, and Sun keyboards have Compose and AltGraph. It is unfortunate that these did not become popular and if MorphOS had them (or a substitute for them) it resembles innovation such as the Compose Character.

or perhaps the IBM version of Compose Character IS the ALT Key. Even though Compose Character sounds nice. And likewise, Digital LK201 does not have any Alt Key.

ALT + 0163 = £

??

:-D

ALT + 0164 = ¤

ALT + 0165 = ¥

Apparently these key combinations were supposed to be secret.

[ Edited by In_Correct 17.12.2016 - 23:13 ]
  • »18.12.16 - 06:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    Certainly not just the German keymap. The US English one has plenty of 'compose' keys as you put it, and offers both alt + single and double key press combos to access pretty much every character in ISO8559-1. For example to write the letter "ø" with the US English keymap, you can press alt + o. To write ê, you can press alt + h and then e.

If you open up the Keystroke program which is located in the Utilities drawer on your MorphOS partition, you can see which key combination to use with your keymap to write whichever character you'd like.

It appears I discovered something very similar with Windows. Windows has a 4 digit number code which is somewhat more complicated compared to MorphOS Letter ø shortcut. Windows requires ALT + 0216 = Ø and ALT + 0248 = ø ...

[ Edited by In_Correct 17.12.2016 - 23:08 ]
  • »18.12.16 - 06:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Apparently these key combinations were supposed to be secret.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt_code
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_input

Yes but for some reason I never connected the fact that the Digital LK201 has a Compose Character key with the fact that the Digital LK201 has no ALT key.

Apparently Original Mac OS uses "Option" as "Compose Character" (According to Key Caps) ; and IBM named its "Compose Character" as "Alt". Ever since Windows 95, every keyboard should have the 3 keys to the left of the space bar, and Alt has taken the place of Compose Character for every keyboard and operating system (including MorphOS). If I knew earlier about Alt Codes I would not have created this discussion.

AltGraph appears to also be merged into Alt Codes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box-drawing_character

The "C=" and "Amiga" and "Atari" and "Command" and "Windows" keys seem to be in the same place as "Meta".

But what happened to Super? and Hyper? and Macro?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Keyboard_keys

[ Edited by In_Correct 19.12.2016 - 08:04 ]
  • »19.12.16 - 14:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    Hamburger Button? Pie Menu?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menu_key

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger_button

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_menu