• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    redrumloa wrote:,
    Quote:

Camp OS4 will be playing 'hide the source code' on their port, no doubt.

But you are forgetting, or overlooking that it is A-Eon, not Hyperion that has funded the effort to port Libre Office to AmigaOS4.x, and A-Eon is "Pro" cooperation and running both MorphOS3.x and AmigaOS4.x on the same hardware.

I agree that Hyperion probably would not be interested in sharing any code they have produced with MorphOS users & programmers, but that is not the case with this project.

As for Nadir's assertions that combining the porting projects would actually increase, or double the time it would take to complete, I can only see that as being true if just one person was doing all of the work, which I don't expect to be reasonable for this project. We should have many programmers contributing to such a large software project and I see no reason why there could not be one or two programmers who were focused on system specific parts of the code, for each different system, while other programmers were primarily working on generic parts of the code that would be shared by both systems.

It is really disappointing to see just how much resistance and prejudice still exists, and is still stirred up in various places (not necessarily this thread), when clearly cooperation benefits us all.

Edit: I can already see into the future when the two porting projects are completed by two different programmers, or groups of programmers (if either of them is ever completed), and the comparisons begin with people claiming which port is better for this reason or that reason, or my port got finished faster than your port, etc. Why can't Amiga users and MorphOS users ever grow up?

Edit #2: I have a wild and crazy idea! Let's start dismantling the old hatred's and bad feelings. Let the MorphOS users and programmers and Dev. Team be the hero's and leaders moving toward a new paradigm of cooperation and tolerance, where it might be possible some day in the distant future to actually share code and foster easier cross platform development at the system level, while keeping the differences between the two systems (they really are quite different in many ways, but so similar in so many other ways). Wouldn't it be great if MorphOS3.x had access to the code for the Radeon HD video cards, so they could work their magic and improve the drivers even further? I am sure that "Some" of the AmigaOS4.x programmers would love to have access to some parts of the MorphOS code, so they could more easily port AmigaOS4.x to several of the Mac G4 computer systems, and possibly the G5 systems in the future.

I know that none of this will happen any time soon, but wouldn't it be great if it eventually did happen and all the fighting could stop?

MorphOS3.x has already won the war, and unless the MorphOS Dev. Team is afraid that by sharing any of their code with certain AmigaOS4.x third party programmers would threaten the lead that MorphOS3.x has over AmigaOS4.x in so many areas, why can't they eventually begin to think like I do, and admit that there is nothing to really fear, and no reason to continue the fighting, unless the goal is to continue the fight until there is only one NG Amiga platform standing, and that is not likely to happen any time soon.

Let's grow up and move on from the fight to something more productive, because we are all (originally) Amiga users.

[ Edited by amigadave 31.01.2013 - 07:57 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »31.01.13 - 15:33