• MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Hi,

I did some initial work on getting the build system to work about half a year ago or so. It took a few evenings to get it to a stage where it started to actually compile stuff. Then you need to go through a painful process of sorting out one compilation/build issue after the other until you get all the libraries to build. This part is very boring work and needs a lot of motivation but it's is not particularly hard for someone with a bit of experience.

The platform-dependent layers obviously require someone with experience of MorphOS programming but the migration to native code can to a large extent be done progressively. One would probably start with a cairo canvas and then move over component by component to mui. I looked a bit at this and I don't see large problems.

Actually, in my view, a Libre Office port is not really difficult from a technical viewpoint and a large team doesn't help either. You need the following:

**** 1-2 highly motivated people with a lot of spare time and good skills for this kind of task *****

That's it, but you might have a hard time finding such people!

I lost interest in this project since the work is rather boring and it's an application I have no need for on MorphOS.

Best,

Nicholai

p.s. I would recommend doing this work on a cross-compiler on Linux or so. Libre Office is a beast and this really saves time. There are also some blockers in the build system that are cumbersome to work around with our native toolchain.
  • »30.01.13 - 00:14