Enabling full screen mode on SNES9X
  • Just looking around
    zoopster
    Hi,

I'm using Morphos 3.1 on a Powerbook 5.8. When I select full screen mode in snes9xStarter I get the following error message: "Could NOT get best mode ID!". If full screen is unselected it works fine but obviously only appears in a window. Selecting "overlay" works as well and provides a larger window by default. Any tips on enabling full screen mode?

Thanks,
    John
  • »20.08.12 - 21:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    MorphOS currently only supports the native resolution of the Powerbook (1440x960). And snes9x originally calls an OS function to retrieve the best suitable screenmode, and this function seems to fail somehow.

Anyway, i had made a change years ago to clone the Ambient screen when using overlay + fullscreen mode, to prevent the monitor from resynchronizing. But I apparently forgot to upload it on my site. It's now done, you can find it at:
    http://fabportnawak.free.fr/snes/snes9x-1.43.lha

Remember that you need to enabled fullscreen *and* overlay. Non overlay fullscreen mode will still try to use another screenmode, which is not supported.

[ Edited by Fab 20.08.2012 - 21:39 ]
  • »20.08.12 - 22:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    zoopster
    Hi Fab,

Fantastic works like a dream. I'm looking forward to trying this with the Xbox 360 gamepad driver.

Do you think you'd ever add any CRT filter options?

Cheers,
    John
  • »20.08.12 - 22:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Overlay itself is some kind of blur filter. ;)

But it's funny that you ask, because in this version i never released, i also played with filters, but i didn't finish it and thus didn't document it. Besides, they impact a lot on speed, but it's probably less of an issue on powerbook.

I planned to have 2xsai (1), super2xsai (2), supereagle (3) and tv scanlines (4). They only work in non overlay mode and are called with the option "-scaler 1" (or 2, 3, 4).

As far as i can see, only 2 and 4 work properly, the others give ugly results. ;)
  • »20.08.12 - 23:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kriz
    Great news !!
    MacMiniG4 MOS 3.18 rulez ... For music check: Horrordelic Records - Dark Psychedelic Music Since 2011 -
  • »21.08.12 - 21:14
    Profile Visit Website