Mplayer question
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    maurensen
    I'm using tre great Fab's mplayer port to use my dual mdd as a media center and it works live a charm...
    I'd like to know in tenere is an option to "normalize" the volume when I listen to various mp3s from diffrent sources... I mean to have the same volume from a playlist of various FILS...
    Trans for suggestiona
    -------------------
  • »05.08.12 - 10:20
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    There is a port of Normalize available on morphos-files.net, although I haven't (yet) tried it myself.
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »05.08.12 - 15:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    MPlayer comes with many audio and video filters, including normalization, though i haven't tried it a lot. I still included it in the GUI, in audio->filters menu.
  • »05.08.12 - 16:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    maurensen
    Thanx fab i'll try asap!
    And thanx also to bootwb!
    -------------------
  • »05.08.12 - 16:52
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    maurensen
    @bootwb
    Thanx but i would prefer not to process all my media library if possibile!

@fab
    I tried normalize filter and it seems to work with 2 little glitches:
    When selected the cpu usage goes to 95% until i select a file to play ,then returns to normal rate
    Some songs start for less than a second to high volume and are normalized from second 2

Apart for this mplayer is really great and i can play every song format of the universe:)
    Great work fab!
    -------------------
  • »06.08.12 - 12:39
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    No worries, the normalization filter in MPlayer is news to me (and more useful since I watch a lot of video).

Regards

Rich
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »06.08.12 - 16:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    maurensen
    Hi, I'm here again to share my (personal) feelings about this silly probelm :-)
    As already said I'm using my pmac with morphos mainly for multimedia playback connecting the mac to my audio amplifier (music at 99%).
    After trying mplayer alot with playlists I've switched to the good old aminetradio
    because it seems not to be affected by normalization audio problems (all audio files seems to play at the same volume), it plays also flac (I've tried several other players but seems to lack playlist or flac playback) and also offer good playlists support, plus it is very small exe.
    Too bad sometimes crash when changing Gui! Very nice program used by me since Peg 2 days, unfortunately never updated by good AmigaZeux crew (I miss their guerrilla readme files!!! :-) :-(

@Fab: never thought about a fork of mplayer with focus on good audio playback? Yes I now you have not so much time, it's only a wish :-)

Thanx again!
    -------------------
  • »31.08.12 - 13:11
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

After trying mplayer alot with playlists I've switched to the good old aminetradio
    because it seems not to be affected by normalization audio problems (all audio files seems to play at the same volume)

The difference probably stems from the fact that MorphOS' mpega.library supports ReplayGain, which will normalize mp3s that has this info in its header; and ANR uses mpega.library while MPlayer does not (and AFAIK does not do ReplayGain).

- CISC
  • »31.08.12 - 13:19
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    maurensen
    @Cisc

Oh, thanx for the clarification.
    In other areas Mplayer is really a work of art but for music playing I prefer (IMHO) a light app a la aminetradio. Just my 2 cents.

@Fab
    Is there a way to donate you some (little, I know, but these are hard times... ;-/) money for your work in mplayer? Maybe there is a very big blinking link somewhere but I have not time to search the internet:-). Thank you very much for your work!
    -------------------
  • »31.08.12 - 16:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    maurensen
    To continue my audio saga... :-)

I've re-switched to mplayer because sometimes randomly aminetradio hangs my mac.
    I've aslo tried amigaamp but I can't find a way to play my flac files.
    BTW I'm really pleased for the audio quality of the SoundBlaster connected to my hi-fi!
    Ciao.
    -------------------
  • »06.09.12 - 13:11
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @maurensen

Forking MPlayer for audio only playback would be a bit overkill. One should better write a player from scratch using ffmpeg audio formats&codecs, for instance, as MPlayer's skeleton is not really well prepared for on-the-fly (audio) filters, for instance. In the same way, it's not too well designed for adding scopes and such.

I haven't used ANR since a long time, but if its stability issues are related to the decoder itself, one could very well write some ffmpeg.decoder that would handle all these hundreds of formats. :)
  • »06.09.12 - 13:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    maurensen
    Thanx for the clarification Fab, you are a kind person to reply to all our (users) rants! :-)
    p.s.: I renew my wish to send you some (little!) money for your work on mplayer!

[ Edited by maurensen 06.09.2012 - 15:16 ]
    -------------------
  • »06.09.12 - 14:39