CAMD Library, Drivers, and such.
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    XDelusion
    Could one of the coders PLEASE have a look at this:

http://aminet.net/search?query=camd

OS 4 users seem to have a native port of the library, as well as USB drivers for CAMD, but thus far I've had zero luck getting any of the USBtoMIDI adapters to work under MorphOS and I have a feeling that porting over some of this stuff to MorphOS may resolve these issues...

I hope.

I understand that OS 4 users can use USBtoMIDI devices just fine and I'd REALLY be relieved if us would be MorphOS musicians could have the such capabilities too. Hd-Rec would be wide open to us if this could be done.

I understand I'm part of the minority, I understand that many of you are content just watching movies, playing games, and browsing the web, but there are a handful of us out here who strive to be creative with our machines, and are just itching to put up videos on the web showing what all can be done with MorphOS in relation to this. So please, for the love of God, can someone please have a look into this.

I am jobless at the moment, and don't have much cash else I would start a bounty. I have contributed to bounties and made donations to various Amiga related projects in the past, not to mention created Amiga tutorial videos, so I don't want to come across as someone who just asks for things and does not at least try to give back in some way shape or form.

Thank you!

Sincerely me! :)
    "I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it." - Jack Handey

Registered MorphOS user, Amiga user, and Atari 8-bit user.
  • »21.07.12 - 21:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _ThEcRoW
    Tried with os4emu?
    Mac Mini G4 1,4ghz 1gb ram & MorphOS 3.11
  • »21.07.12 - 21:38
    XDelusion
    Ya, I don't recall having seen any advantages to running the OS4Emu honestly.

Is it even still being updated?

• »21.07.12 - 21:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _ThEcRoW
    I just suggested it because it can run many programs, and maybe it could be working with it.
    On the link you posted, there is a morphos version too. Or it isn't the whole package?.
    Mac Mini G4 1,4ghz 1gb ram & MorphOS 3.11
  • »21.07.12 - 22:17
    XDelusion
    It's some sort of Dev pack. Sadly my area of expertise is not in the coding area.

Thank you for the advise though! :)

• »21.07.12 - 22:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > On the link you posted, there is a morphos version too. Or it isn't the whole package?.

It doesn't contain any camd.library binary.
  • »21.07.12 - 22:38
  • ede
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    ede
    @XDelusion, try this bnp_mos
    maybe this version of camd.library will usefull for you (is in this archive).
  • »21.07.12 - 23:12
    XDelusion
    Thankx I'll try it out when I get back home!

• »21.07.12 - 23:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Yomgui
    @XDelusion: no no, you're not alone. I also not (always) watch videos, browse on net and play to video games. I've created Gribouillis, ported Blender3D and created Helios... which one will support AVC devices (like some FW sound card ... if you see what I mean...)
    And now... next project!
  • »22.07.12 - 02:25
    Profile Visit Website
    XDelusion
    Ede: Remind me not to install that full package again. It made it impossible to boot back into MorphOS. I had to boot off the CD and replace the emu10k file in Devs and a couple of libs. Not sure which file was keeping it from booting, but it was one of those.

Anyhow, that Camd Lib didn't seem to do a thing. The MidiPort (I think that was it's name) program that comes with 68k CamD, only sees the Serial Port as an Option, USB still does not show up.

On the upside, MorphOS did seem to detect my USB MIDI device this time and it said it was associated with CAMD, but I can't seem to access, I need to take some screen shots and post them next time I'm on here.

Yomgui: Ok, I know your work, been meaning to check some of that out now that I have a replacement system for MorphOS! Sadly, the links all seem to be dead atm. Did you move your files to someplace new?

• »22.07.12 - 23:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Sadly, the links all seem to be dead atm. Did you move your files to
    > someplace new?

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8485&forum=3
  • »23.07.12 - 08:27
  • ede
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    ede
    @XDelusion

Sorry about that. I thought that you looking only proper camd.library file. Anyway when I get back to home (couple of day) I check what I have installed on my pegasos but I never used USB MIDI device (only HD-Rec with SB-Live). So no hope :].
  • »23.07.12 - 12:06
    XDelusion
    Thankx @ Andreas_Wolf.

Ede: Well I was under the assumption that that package was Bars and Pipes for MorphOS, so I figured I'd install that too. Never used B&P beyond firing it up on my old Amiga, so I thought I'd have a look at it on here.

Anyhow, after I cleaned up my mess I did replace the CAMD.lib that I was using with the one from the package you sent me, and with or without it, I'm still having trouble getting things going.

Also, here is a pic of Trident in relation to my USBtoMIDI device:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?wn87tsr2bwnn260#

• »23.07.12 - 18:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    @XDelusion

I've answered you on amiga.org. We can continue here. MorphOS native camd.library is possible. In fact I have only one MIDI device (old Casio keyboard), which is probably enough to get basic stuff working. I can afford some MIDI and MIDI to USB cables I guess, but instruments, controllers etc. are much more expensive. I hope I can count on you as a betatester and idea contributor.
  • »23.07.12 - 20:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > MorphOS native camd.library is possible.

Some say it's already there:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=32&topic_id=7104&start=27

I've not come across it though.
  • »23.07.12 - 21:15
    XDelusion
    I see that now and thank you!

First off, again I do apologize for my moaning, but up till now I haven't really received any positive news on this at all. Knowing that you are working with both the Digibooster team and the MorphOS team certainly gives me hope!! Thank you!!!

I will continue this conversation here, but before I do that I did want to point out that some new user on Amiga.org that goes by the name of "Yomgui" sounds like he may have some knowledge he might be able to contribute. You can read his comments on post #76.

Now, I will respond to your post(s) in order (kinda).

I do understand that development takes time, so sorry if I sounded pushy, I was just under the impression that DigiBooster 3 was going to come out, and that the MorphOS team were not taking any steps to ensure that it would be fully usable by all MorphOS users.

I am beginning to understand how difficult the whole AHI/USB issue must be to take on, so my hopes of using USB or Firewire devices is decreasing quickly, but as another user posted on here, there are small, inexpensive devices that can capture quality audio in WAV format, which then saves to an SD card which I could then take over to my MorphOS machine, or what ever. So with that in mind, I suppose the AHI/USB issues isn't as dire as I had thought previously, though none the less, it would be GRAND to see that get some attention some day.
    On the other hand, it is starting to look more and more like MIDI should be a possibility. The problem is that I have yet to find any MorphOS users who have successfully got it working.

As you can see in the image I posted here, my USBtoMIDI adapter is picking up in Trident, but I can not get CAMD's MIDIPort program to offer any options aside of the SerialPort.
    I also fired up the seemingly little known Hd-Rec, but have yet to be able to get it to respond to my MIDI gear either.

Most of my experience thus far has been with OctaMED Sound Studio, but alas, MorphOS will not run it AT ALL for some reason (problems with the Meastrix Library I assume?), so unfortunately I am unable to test my USBtoMIDI adapter in familiar territory.

Now as for Digibooster 3, I have tried out the beta releases and have HIGH hopes for that program! In fact one day I sat down and tried to get familiar with the lay out then ended up loosing my self and composed an entire song, but then in the end remembered that I couldn't save yet. :)
    I never really messed with Digibooster back in the day because back then I could not afford the 060 that is in my A1200 right now, thus my system was too slow and I again defaulted back to the familiar OctaMED Sound Studio.

Anyhow, someone a long time ago had told me that version 3.0 would probably not have MIDI support as we did not have a proper port of the CAMD Library, maybe it was you. Who ever it was did inform me though that MIDI was intended for future releases but was not viewed as a priority at the time, again do to the seemingly crippled nature of CAMD on MorphOS.

Primarily what made me "nervous" was that I had no idea that one of the Digibooster team members was working also as a MorphOS team member. I just figured that the MorphOS team had no one who cared much about supporting Digibooster's future MIDI plans, not to mention the currently released and equally amazing (in a different way) HD-Rec., and that it would therefore be a possible eternity until MIDI support became a reality.

Ughhh... I'm kind of distracted right now, a lot is going on, so I am going to cut this kind of short.

In ending I want to say thank you for your intentions, and for responding to me on this issue. I understand that you do not want to make void promises as you posted in Amiga.org, but it is a relief to know that someone out there does have good intentions. MorphOS would TOTALLY benefit from being able to fully take advantage of HD-Rec (see video above), as well as a release of Digibooster with MIDI support. Both programs have their own benefits and would get endless use by me and I'm sure by the other handful of MorphOS users who are itching to create musick under MorphOS.

As for making a release without MIDI, or holding off until Midi is ready. Well I'd say release it without MIDI when you can and don't delay! Some of us out here are frothing at the mouth for that program! In that way we'd be able to start using it as a stand alone sample based sequencer program, then once we had our heads wrapped around that, we could then expand upon things with MIDI in the next update release!!! ;)

Thank you again, and YES! I would absolutely be honored to be a beta tester. Is there a mailing list I need to subscribe to? It just so happens that I am not working and am about to move out into the country for some rest and relaxation for a couple of months, so I shall have PLENTY of time on my hands before long.

• »23.07.12 - 22:08
    Profile Visit Website
    XDelusion
    @ Andreas_Wolf: You are right... the link is dead. Doe!!!

• »23.07.12 - 22:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > someone a long time ago had told me that version 3.0 would probably not have MIDI
    > support as we did not have a proper port of the CAMD Library, maybe it was you.

Yes, he was.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8610&forum=11&start=19

> the currently released [...] HD-Rec

As currently as released 2.5 years ago ;-)

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3073&forum=3&start=3
  • »23.07.12 - 22:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > @ Andreas_Wolf: You are right... the link is dead.

What link? So far, I've not come across any link to a MorphOS-native camd.library.
  • »23.07.12 - 22:57
    XDelusion
    Man you're good. You can dig up ancient posts like it's nothing. I've been away from MorphOS for so long I forget what all discussions and who all I had them with in the past, but that one I remembered because MIDI has always been important to me.

Anyhow, I was referring to the links in the post you had directed me to. As I read down I read your response stating that the links to the native MorphOS CAMD were in fact links to the 68k version. So even if they did work, they wouldn't be for the right version.

• »23.07.12 - 23:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I was referring to the links in the post you had directed me to. As I read down I read
    > your response stating that the links to the native MorphOS CAMD were in fact links
    > to the 68k version. So even if they did work, they wouldn't be for the right version.

The post I meant to direct you to is itix' (which should be topmost when clicking my link), not Papiosaur's. I'm not sure someone like itix can't tell a PPC-native library file for MorphOS from an m68k-native library file for OS3 ;-)
  • »23.07.12 - 23:21
    XDelusion
    I think your post was fine, I just decided to read on through it.

You may be onto something with Itix there. ;)

Sorry, Itix, I couldn't resist!

• »23.07.12 - 23:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    my hopes of using USB or Firewire devices is decreasing quickly

Hopes for FireWire are not that low. Yomgui is a very capable programmer. Guess who ported Python and Blender to MorphOS?

As you can see in the image I posted here, my USBtoMIDI adapter is picking up in Trident, but I can not get CAMD's MIDIPort program to offer any options aside of the SerialPort.

The binding is proper, but this is not all the story. The camd.library was implemented on Amiga 500. For a 7 MHz computer MIDI timing requirements are not easy to meet. Because of this camd.library hardware drivers are not typical devices, but some loose pieces of code loaded and executed directly. These "drivers" are M68k binaries. In theory camdusbmidi.class overcomes the problem by generating such drivers on the fly, but I'm not sure how well it works. Also I'm not sure if current camd.library can detect such drivers in realtime (my bet is it can't).

In my opinion it must be cleaned up, we are not on 7 MHz anymore with MorphOS. Drivers for "static" MIDI interfaces (like one on a soundcard) should be just system devices and camd.library should scan them at initialization. On the other hand camdusbmidi.class detects USB devices at runtime, so camd.library must accept virutal MIDI "cables" submitted by camdusbmidi.class. It cannot work with old M68k camd.library. A new one, with compatible API must be written, which I plan to do. Also camdusbmidi.class should be extended for USB devices providing multiple MIDI "virtual cables" on one USB interface. As you can read in Poseidon docs, camdusbmidi.class is beta and it seems noone looked into it for years.

In the meantime you can test your USB cables with some MIDI keyboard (or instrument) and simplemidi.class. You can change the class binding in Poseidon setting. According to the doc of simplemidi.class, some keyboard keys will be translated to corresponding computer keys as used by music trackers to emulate musical keyboard. Of course it is not very useful, but at least you can verify that Poseidon and USB driver works with your cables (OK, it only checks MIDI input, but anyway).
  • »24.07.12 - 13:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Tomo
    Hi,

A long time ago Iwas hoping to use BarsnPipes on my Peg II, but I gave up. Sometimes it was wordking (midi via game-port) but it B&P freezes many times without a warning. Sometimes I had to install Morphos again to be able to use my Peg.
    I've now installed B&P on Linux (better: my son installed eveything) and sometimes I start my Amiga1200 again. A better Mididriver via USB helps maybe to use B&P again on my Peg.
    (Alfred Faust is now making a complete port of B&P to AmigaOS 4.0)

regards Tom
  • »25.07.12 - 16:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Alfred Faust is now making a complete port of B&P to AmigaOS 4.0

So he has restarted the development he stopped in October 2009 for health reasons? And why to OS4.0 and not to OS4.1?

http://bnp.hansfaust.de/alfa2eng.html
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/barsnpipes/message/4950
    http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2009-11-00004-EN.html

From February 2011:

"A word to porting BarsnPipes to other OS-platforms: The first are the custom chips. This is a solvable problem. The MorphOS and OS4-machines are also have no custom chips. For this the most important was, to make a new stabil "heartbeat" for BarsnPipes, based on the timer.device. This included also to write new synchronisation-routines (master and slave modus). The second problem I solved, were the loading routine for the Tools and Accessories."
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/barsnpipes/message/5043
  • »25.07.12 - 18:44