Wookiechat and Network Issues
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    danwood
    I've been having a recurring problem on my Morphos system, noticing network slowdowns when connecting to IRC servers in Wookiechat, also sometimes affects Simplemail and OWB.

I've tried the MorphOS native version of Wookiechat and the OS3 latest (and betas) affects them all, basically if I try and connect to a server the program locks up for anywhere from 15-60 seconds per server, during this time I cannot do much else on my system, launching another app and it will not open its window until Wookiechat has connected.

corpsicle said (I get same:)

"I've had picture drawers open and changed to thumbnail view and it took around 2 mins and then when Wookiechat finally connects, Ambient updates the thumbnails."

Same with Simplemail, when it launches and is connecting to collect mail it sometimes hangs for around 5-20 seconds and I cannot do anything else on my system (ambient semi-responds, but new apps won't open or files won't launch until network operation is complete).

OWB has also sometimes showed the problem, loading a website, sometimes it just locks up for a few seconds then loads it, but happens less often.

The problem with Wookiechat is worst, happens every time, but Amirc works ok.

I've been chatting to user corpsicle in #amigaworld and he has identical issues with his machine (same Mac Mini 1.42ghz as me).

Any body got any solution or ideas? It's very annoying.

[ Edited by danwood 15.02.2012 - 19:20 ]
  • »15.02.12 - 20:08
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Probably it's not a response you were hoping to get but.. use AmIRC instead, which is free as Wookiechat is ;)
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »15.02.12 - 22:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    danwood
    It's a response I've had many times when asking in IRC, almost the default response, but I like to have several IRC networks open at once without having several windows open, I also like seeing user modes (symbols) displayed next to user nicks, I really don't like AMIRC if I'm honest.

This also seems a deeper problem than Wookie, the fact that most others I've mentioned this to say it runs flawlessly on their MOS set up, so it seems more like a bug with the Morphos network stack or some incompatibility with my mac mini as it affects other apps to a lesser extent.

[ Edited by danwood 16.02.2012 - 00:09 ]
  • »16.02.12 - 01:05
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    not sure why you have this issue strange, other than making sure you are using the very latest updated wookie chat . I use 2.10 but a couple of betas 2.12 are out there.
    There were issues a while back which were corrected. maybe Jah C could help if you contact him. I'll post issue to irc, wookie works, the issue my be in ver or elsewhere
  • »16.02.12 - 01:44
    hooligan
    When using OWB its normal for me to have a page load up, wait some seconds and then update the screen. Haven't noticed such in other apps so I put it on OWB's fault, it's quite irritating to be honest and because of this I still do most of my browsing on Windoze.

A couple months ago after some discussion here I suspected if it could be Macmini+current netstack issue instead of OWB though.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »16.02.12 - 05:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    danwood
    @xyphoid Not sure Jahc would care, he dropped supporting MOS around a year ago iirc.

But as I said, I don't think the problem is with wookiechat as it also affects other apps.

Were the ethernet mac mini issues here ever fixed? :

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=6517&viewmode=flat&sortorder=0&start=0
  • »16.02.12 - 14:43
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    danwood
    hooligan,
    Quote:

Yeah I see threads going back to 2009 on MOS 2.4, have they not been resolved in 2.7 still?
  • »16.02.12 - 14:44