Quickstart menu or toolsbar
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Hi guys,

I have no idea how many toolsbars there are in MorphOS, can someone tell me the best choice, please?
  • »12.02.12 - 14:50
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Did you try the Ambient panels? :)
  • »12.02.12 - 16:35
    Profile Visit Website
    Miky060
    Try the built-in Ambient panels. they are very fast, clean and easy to use. If you find them too limited then use polynet thay is much more flexible.

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »12.02.12 - 21:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Simon
    I like polynet, however it isn't the most straightforward to use. Expect some experimenting and headscratching.
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »13.02.12 - 08:28
    Profile Visit Website
    Miky060
    Yes, polynet is not so user-friendly and easy to configure, but at the moment if you want features like transparent panels, popup panels or icon+text buttons it seems to be the only choice available. Personally I use polynet since the beginning and I have never used Ambient panels because of these missing features. I really hope that in 3.0 at least these features will be available so that I can finally say goodbye to Polynet.

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »13.02.12 - 11:04
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    I'm looking for something like pixload which doesn't work. I know Ambient but where should I find panels? Maybe I'm becoming blind ;)
  • »13.02.12 - 21:15
    Miky060
    From ambient you have to go in the screenbar -> Objects (I hope it's the correct word, my localization is italian in this moment..) -> Panel -> New
    At this point you can just start to drag and drop icons of the applications you want in your new toolbar.

If you want PolynetNG here it is: http://polymere.free.fr/Site_New/polynet_en.html

If you're interested to have pop menus and transparent bars here you can see a grab of my MorphOS desktop with Polynet in action..

=_blank>

[ Edited by Miky060 14.02.2012 - 09:43 ]

• »14.02.12 - 09:38
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Found, but it was more logical if it was on Settings System, do you agree?
    Polynet looks like much better, maybe I'll try it one day.
    Thank you, I'm Italian as well ;-)
  • »16.02.12 - 10:41
    boot_wb
    I liked PolynetNG in general, especially once I got to grips with editing the configuration file manually.

One thing really irritated me though, which is that the positioning of sub-docks is absolute rather than relative. Consequently, if one decides to move the main dock (eg from bottom left, to bottom right of screen) one then has to manually reposition each sub-dock and save the settings.

Relative positioning would make much more sense, and wouldn't be so hard to implement imho.

I'm back on Ambient panels atm, so an update there would be most welcome. :-)
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »16.02.12 - 11:52
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    @Goodman

That is "fixed" in the Panels I submitted for merging with the main Ambient-sources and which will hopefully end up in MorphOS3.0 or 3.1 (depending on when those will be released).

@boot_wb

My subpanels or allways relative to their root-object (which can be moved just like any other panelitem), so just stick to the Ambient-panels till they get updated ;)
  • »16.02.12 - 13:56
    Miky060
    @ boot_wb
    Relative repositioning of the sub-dock in PolyNet works perfectly here! I don't know why do you have this problem. There is an option to enable in preferences to get the sub-docks to always open in the correct position automatically.

@Goodman
    nice to hear you're italian. Where ar you from?

• »16.02.12 - 14:34
    Profile Visit Website
    boot_wb
    Quote:

Relative repositioning of the sub-dock in PolyNet works perfectly here!

Not for me I'm afraid.

The only setting in any preference window (and there are quite a few, prefs is a bit of a mess in Polynet - another mild annoyance) I can find which sounds appropriate is Bar>Edit>"Automatic position of pop window" in the "Global settings" box. I've tried editing the settings for both the main bar, and the popup bars.

This box has no effect whether ticked or not; if I move the main Polynet bar, the popup-bars 'pop up' where they were before the main bar was moved, regardless of this setting.

Don't know what I'm doing differently from you, perhaps you could pm/e-mail me a copy of your polynetNG config file to study?

Windows free since 2011!
  • »16.02.12 - 21:52
    Profile Visit Website
    boot_wb
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    @boot_wb

My subpanels or allways relative to their root-object (which can be moved just like any other panelitem), so just stick to the Ambient-panels till they get updated ;)

New panels! Sweet! :-D
    Would love to have the super-secret-batcave-address to your Ambient betas/builds to test this out. ;-)

[ Edited by boot_wb 16.02.2012 - 21:02 ]

Windows free since 2011!
  • »16.02.12 - 21:59
    Profile Visit Website