Best music player for MorphOS?
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    The beast has awakened! I have been (mostly) away from MorphOS and anything Amiga-like for personal use since 2004! You will likely see a buttload of questions from me in the coming days & weeks. With my registration forthcoming, I am diving in! Problem is, I am behind the times!

First question is, what is the best current music player? I used to be a big fan of AmigaAMP back in the day. What about now? Skins are good, shoutcast support is good, plugins are good etc. It should look good and play music better.

TIA
  • »23.11.11 - 01:51
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    XDelusion
    I'm all about MPlayer my self.
    "I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it." - Jack Handey

Registered MorphOS user, Amiga user, and Atari 8-bit user.
  • »23.11.11 - 03:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Jeckel
    MPlayer is too big and limited for me (just using it for video).

I prefer AmiNetRadio for music/streaming (mp3 & ogg). In addition ANR supports almost every exotic music format (mod, mid, sc68, ym, ...) through plug-ins.

ANR also offers a lot of skins and customizable capabilities.

[ Edited by Jeckel 23.11.2011 - 09:18 ]
  • »23.11.11 - 09:16
    Miky060
    I would add that ANR can use also AmigaAMP/WinAMP skins. Even if only for the main window, no skins for equalizer and playlist window (correct me if I am wrong)

Moreover AmigaAMP here crashes often, maybe I chosed the wrong engine to decode the mp3 files..

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »23.11.11 - 09:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @jeckel

In what way is it limited, btw? It's not meant to be a specialized music player, but still offers quite a few things in this regard.
    What i could think of is the lack of equalizer (though you can actually configure it from cmd line), shoutcast search and skin support (and no, i don't plan to add all of this :)).

On the other hand it's quite rockstable and also supports most streaming methods. As for mod support, i could link with modplug to support them if needed.

[ Edited by Fab 23.11.2011 - 10:00 ]
  • »23.11.11 - 10:59
    Profile Visit Website
    xyphoid
    ANR skips for me when multitasking :-? I'm a mplayer person
  • »23.11.11 - 14:49
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Jeckel
    @Fab
    MPlayer is simply perfect as a video player (incl. for streaming). It is fast and its GUI is very usable. It is really a great software.

But when I go to an audio listening activity (the topic of this discussion), I need more such as:
    - support for exotic formats
    - library (with multiple play-lists, play-count, history, etc...)
    - nice visual plug-ins
    - nice skins
    - some more things absolutely useless ;-)

That's the reason why I prefer ANR (although it is slightly bugged in some ways). ;-)

@xyphoid
    Maybe you need to tune your AHI configuration. I don't have this problem on Pegasos2 and MorphOS 2.x (btw, I did have the problem on Amiga 4060, but also on Pegasos2 with MorphOS 1.x).

[ Edited by Jeckel 23.11.2011 - 15:51 ]
  • »23.11.11 - 15:46
    boot_wb
    @Fab
    Slightly OT, but is there any way for a user to change the default 'filetype' filters settings in MPlayer's add-to-playlist selection window?

"Playlist>Add"

The current filter settings do not include WMA format (and therefore any WMA files are not shown), however MPlayer handles WMA files just fine.
    I haven't checked, but would imagine the same holds true for WMV filetypes too.

Thanks Fab.
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »23.11.11 - 15:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @bootwb

Just enter the additional extensions in the format field. They'll be save for the next time. And wmv is most likely already in by another more generic pattern (the pattern config file is saved in conf/pattern).
  • »23.11.11 - 17:32
    Profile Visit Website