Problem with clock time after osx used.
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _ThEcRoW
    Hello, i noticed that when i have previously used osx, when i came back to morphos it is with the wrong time, so i have to change it manually. If i not boot into osx, it stays with the right time whenever i boot mos. Is there some way to fix it or some workaround?
    Has anyone experiencing it with dual boot systems?.
    Thanks in advance!!!
    Mac Mini G4 1,4ghz 1gb ram & MorphOS 3.11
  • »22.09.11 - 15:01
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    A workaround is to get the time via SetClockNTP on MorphOS.
  • »22.09.11 - 16:02
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Code:

Execute MOSSYS:S/network-startup
    Run >NIL: SetClockNTP SAVE

Put it in S:network-startup
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »22.09.11 - 16:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _ThEcRoW
    Ok thanks for the tip. When you refer to mossys is the real system directory, or the assigned one in the root of the disk?. For example i put any new lib in the libs folder on the root of the disk and not on the system/libs.
    Thanks in advance!!!
  • »23.09.11 - 17:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > When you refer to mossys is the real system directory, or the assigned one
    > in the root of the disk?

MOSSYS: is SYS:MorphOS. Just enter MOSSYS: in a shell and see for yourself.
  • »23.09.11 - 17:49
    Miky060
    Korni,
    Quote:

Code:

You probably wanted to say "Put it in S:user-startup" ??

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »24.09.11 - 11:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > You probably wanted to say "Put it in S:user-startup" ??

I don't think so.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6715&forum=9&start=8
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6800&forum=3&start=5
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7257&forum=3&start=11
  • »24.09.11 - 13:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Nope, S:network-startup is correct. This way, programs relying on a network don't need to wait for it, because network is already up. Putting SetClockNTP in S:user-startup might cause not syncing a clock at all etc.
  • »24.09.11 - 13:47
    Profile Visit Website
    Miky060
    Korni,
    Quote:

Code:

Ok, but inserting those 2 lines in network-startup as you say would not produce a LOOP!?

Proably it's enough to just insert the line "Run >NIL: SetClockNTP SAVE" in network-startup and copy this to S: or call it with execute command inside user-startup?

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »24.09.11 - 15:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > inserting those 2 lines in network-startup as you say would not produce a LOOP!?

It wouldn't.
  • »24.09.11 - 16:34
    xyphoid

This fix tends to lock up my OWB (Oasys Web Browser :-)) as it is loading tabs. Task manager complains about cli.....ect.....frozen
  • »25.09.11 - 00:41
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Okay, I am with Miky060, why is it not a loop if you put an execute file xyz line into file xyz?
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »25.09.11 - 03:01
    analogkid
    Maybe because MOSSYS:s/network-startup isn't the same file as S:network-startup?
  • »25.09.11 - 06:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Well, something crashes for you. Never had any problems with it and i have Run >NIL: WaitX H=1 L=0 "SetClockNTP SAVE" there as well :).
  • »25.09.11 - 08:54
    Profile Visit Website
    Miky060
    analogkid,
    Quote:

Maybe because MOSSYS:s/network-startup isn't the same file as S:network-startup?

Ok, I follow you better. But still trying to understand: what if I just add the line "Run >NIL: SetClockNTP SAVE" at the end of MOSSYS:s/network-startup? Would not be this enough/correct? Is not MOSSYS:s/network-startup executed automatically at every boot?

• »25.09.11 - 12:20
    Profile Visit Website
    guruman
    Miky, you should never ever modify anything in MOSSYS: (unless explicitly told so by the MorphOS team, which is the case only with rexxsyslib.library) because these files get overwritten at every OS update. So, if you want to preserve your configuration and settings, creating a new S:network-startup as indicated is the way to go.

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »25.09.11 - 14:04
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Ok, I follow you better. But still trying to understand: what if I just add the line "Run >NIL: SetClockNTP SAVE" at the end of MOSSYS:s/network-startup? Would not be this enough/correct? Is not MOSSYS:s/network-startup executed automatically at every boot?

Files in MOSSYS: are replaced in every OS update and if you have modified them, modifications are gone too. That's why you have to do all your own settings in SYS:

And when you have something in SYS:, it is used instead of equivalent file in MOSSYS: (EDIT: at least for script files, libs and commands are looked from MOSSYS: first), that's why you have to add line to execute network-startup file in the MOSSYS: too, because it contains NetStack startup lines. Other option would be to copy whole file from MOSSYS: to SYS: and add own lines there, but it's not good solution if original network-startup file is changed in some update later.

So, just do like it's been adviced, it's sophisticated and safe :)

[ Edited by jPV 25.09.2011 - 20:36 ]
  • »25.09.11 - 17:29
    Profile Visit Website
    Miky060
    jPV,
    Quote:

And when you have something in SYS:, it is used instead of equivalent file in MOSSYS: (EDIT: at least for script files, libs and commands are looked from MOSSYS: first), that's why you have to add line to execute network-startup file in the MOSSYS: too

Ooooh God! Now it's everything clear! I had totally missed the point!!

• »25.09.11 - 23:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _ThEcRoW
    Hello, sorry for resurfacing an old thread, but recently i have reinstalled morphos and i'm having problems setting date time correctly. If i leave the two lines in mossys:network-startup, i get trouble with internet connection and owb freezes. Also i read the thread again and i'm confused about where to put the lines. Are the lines needed to add on the root directory /S, or on the MorphOS/S directory. Also noticed the first lacks this file.
    I had that working on my previous install, so don't know why i'm facing this crashes now.
    Thanks in advance!!!

P.D: I forgot to say, that when adding these two lines to the network-startup file and i reboot the system, there is a process running that gets 87%+- of cpu and makes owb unusable and then the system in overall.
    Is the exec line really needed as it is already included in network-startup?

[ Edited by _ThEcRoW 25.03.2012 - 11:11 ]
  • »25.03.12 - 14:02
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Megander
    I defined an alias called "timesync" in the shell-startup using the 68k ntpsync command from the Aminet. OK, I still have to type it in a shell window which I have to start seperately but thus I make sure I only execute the synchronization when the machine is done booting and the network is available (caesium clock of the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt Braunschweig ftw).

After Sunday's time change from CET to CEST however, my clock was 18 years and a bit off! :-o

[ Edited by Megander 27.03.2012 - 18:56 ]
  • »27.03.12 - 20:54
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Well, why you use some 68k tool, when there is a tool (SetClockNTP) delivered with MorphOS, which even handled the DST switch last weekend for many countries.
  • »27.03.12 - 22:40
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Megander
    Because I have been unaware of its existence until now. See, that's the problem with noobs. Thanks for pointing me at it anyway!
  • »28.03.12 - 05:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I have been unaware of its existence until now.

It's not like geit was the first one to mention SetClockNTP in this thread ;-)
  • »28.03.12 - 07:57
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Megander
    A whole thread?

tl;dr

;-)

[ Edited by Megander 28.03.2012 - 09:59 ]
  • »28.03.12 - 11:59