Open Office port to MorphOS2.x
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Looking over the printer list, I have at least four that are supported.
    Some newer printers are noticeably absent, but I don't expect the MorphOS development team to be able to support everything. How would they get the printers to test them?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »30.03.11 - 14:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Some newer printers are noticeably absent

The printers listed on http://www.morphos-team.net/hardware.html are only the ones that are directly supported by the ancient TurboPrint version that comes with MorphOS. Newer printers that are PCL compatible might be supported by some of those old drivers. Best bet however are modern printers that are PostScript compatible (see geit's statement quoted above) and thus don't require TurboPrint nor any other special drivers to print from MorphOS. At the moment I'm contemplating with the Lexmark X203n as a network printer.
  • »30.03.11 - 15:30
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Let's see, Ive got an Epson StylusColour740, an HP DeskJet825C (which I think will run on the 830C drivers, an HP Deskjet970C, and the predecessor to that model (which I think my not work correctly).

So, possibly less than 4, but as there is an Apple driver for the Epson, I'll just stick with that.

Where do you find Postscript except in higher end Laser Printers?
  • »30.03.11 - 18:42
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Where do you find Postscript except in higher end Laser Printers?

I don't know about the US, but in the EU PostScript capable laser MFPs currently start at about 112 EUR, which I find reasonable. Whether there's any inkjet printer supporting PostScript I don't know.

http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/eu/?cat=multi&xf=388_PS%203&sort=p#xf_top
  • »30.03.11 - 19:54
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Interesting, usually I expect European hardware to be more expensive. Some of those printers have been discontinued in the US, but others are still available.
    The cheapest Postscript compatible I found in the US was the OKIDATA B411d 91659801 at 4169 plus $22 shipping and handling.
    What would you recommend? I'm not too fond of all in one printers and a lot of laser printers come with very little memory (like the Oki I mentioned with only 64MB).
    What's a good compromise between price and features?
  • »30.03.11 - 20:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The cheapest Postscript compatible I found in the US
    > was the OKIDATA B411d 91659801 at 4169 plus $22
    > shipping and handling.

That's only marginally more expensive than the starting price of such devices in the EU.

> What would you recommend?

The things I find important, apart from PostScript compatibility of course, are networking capability and that it runs some file server so that I wouldn't need a driver for the scanner part of the MFP.

> a lot of laser printers come with very little memory
    > (like the Oki I mentioned with only 64MB).

Yes, the Lexmark X203n I'm looking at also comes with just 64 MiB. You mean that's not sufficient?

> What's a good compromise between price and features?

Sorry, I'm a complete layman when it comes to laser MFPs.
  • »30.03.11 - 21:27
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >Sorry, I'm a complete layman when it comes to laser MFPs.

Yep, me too. But I do remember that printers with more memory were capable of buffering the printout(s) on board rather than having to rely on spooling.

I can understand your argument about wanting it on the network. I'd prefer to use something like this as a central printer that would (hopefully) cut my printing costs.
    As the vast majority of my printout are gray scale (I use about three times the number of black ink cartridges than I do color), this could be a good solution.

I can't find a Lexmark X203n in the US though. If HP wasn't relying on Postscript emulation I'd consider them.
  • »30.03.11 - 21:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > If HP wasn't relying on Postscript emulation I'd consider them.

Err, what do you think PostScript emulation is? I think no printer on the planet uses PostScript as its native internal language.
  • »30.03.11 - 22:12
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >Err, what do you think PostScript emulation is? I think no printer on the planet uses PostScript as its native internal language.

A good point, all printer specs merely mention postscript compatibility.
    Not coming from a Mac or a DTP background I've never had to pay too much attention to Postscript.
    It could prove useful under OSX and Ubuntu (as well as MorphOS), so I guess I'm forced to educate myself.
  • »30.03.11 - 22:37
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I can't find a Lexmark X203n in the US though.

You can as well search for the X204n. While being generally more expensive than the X203n it's still far cheaper in the US than in the EU. As far as I can see, the only improvement of the X204n over the X203n is the added ADF.
  • »31.03.11 - 15:33
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >You can as well search for the X204n. While being generally more expensive than the X203n it's still far cheaper in the US than in the EU.

Yes, $224.99 at a local office supply outlet.

Question - Are you sure about your choices? I'm not seeing that many good reviews on either model. You've mentioned the limited RAM they ships with. Other people have mentioned poor or slow sheet feeding (for copies or scans), and others have mentioned being disappointed by the print quality.

On the other hand, $224.99! That is a remarkable price for a multifunction laser printer.
  • »31.03.11 - 15:54
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Are you sure about your choices?

No, not at all. While it has all the features I need I still have to read up on the quality. But it's not urgent anyway so I won't jump the gun.

> I'm not seeing that many good reviews on either model. You've mentioned
    > the limited RAM they ships with. Other people have mentioned poor or slow
    > sheet feeding (for copies or scans), and others have mentioned being
    > disappointed by the print quality.

As usual, you get what you pay for ;-) And as usual, reviews are as differing as people's needs. Here's a rather positive one, awarding 4/5 eggs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828106655

> On the other hand, $224.99! That is a remarkable price
    > for a multifunction laser printer.

Yes, remarkably low.
  • »31.03.11 - 16:22
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    OK, $214.99, I like that even better!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828106655
  • »31.03.11 - 16:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > a member of the team that is porting Open Office to MacOSX is
    > helping to port the Open Office 4 Kids version to AmigaOS4.x

News:

http://www.amigans.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1467
  • »16.09.11 - 08:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

> a member of the team that is porting Open Office to MacOSX is
    > helping to port the Open Office 4 Kids version to AmigaOS4.x

News:

http://www.amigans.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1467

It was bound to crash and burn, it probably stalled in silence a long time ago already, and then someone just now thought of sending the guy an e-mail for a status report...

Ah well. What kind of stupid name is "OOo4kids" anyway?!

Edit: OOOOoo4MOOOOOS - that's what I call a name, it has a proper amount of O's in it! ;-)

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma 16.09.2011 - 10:18 ]
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »16.09.11 - 09:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > someone just now thought of sending the guy an e-mail for a status report...

I was suspecting something like this when the porter was reluctant to make a public statement 3.5 weeks ago. But then, he edited the Wiki one day later. So I thought he might continue development. Pity he does not.

> What kind of stupid name is "OOo4kids" anyway?!

I don't know. Actually, it's supposed to be OOo for users of "7-12 years" of age. The name seems apt I think. According to corto the project has been more about porting OOoLight anyway.
  • »16.09.11 - 14:48
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    well I hope develpoment resumes....
  • »17.09.11 - 00:13
    serge
    Sad, one more project going to the trash :-(

Unfortunatly, we (MorphOS users) don't have an efficient Word Processor.

People speaking about FinalWriter, WordWorth and other old 68k word processors don't use them this is why they think it should be a solution on this old programs.

PageStream IS NOT A WORD PROCESSOR !!! and you can't do with it a real editing work.

Papyrus was a sort of solution but it never was finished: one more for trash !

All Online solutions are nice for little projects but not for all people.
    Unfortunatly, googldocs, zoowriter and others don't work on offline mode with OWB.
    People wanting to write, edit with next PowerBooks will need to be connected and then his interest will be very restricted.

Unfortunatly, OWB crashes when loading a big Word Document over 200 pages. It goes in to out of memory and crash.

I write books and can't use Online Editors with OWB (AmigaOS4/MorphOS).

About X11 stuff, there's lot of confusion.

Yes Old 68 Xami is faster than AmycignX but it can't run Abiword because it needs to be ported.
    It seems (about a MorphOS dev) porting Abiword is not a complicated task but a very very boring task ! There's lot of work and it is not just a compilation.

At this time, the only Amiga system able to edit Word documents properly is AmigaOS4 with his slow X11 solution.

I don't ask to get a nice and fast Word processor, juste a usable one.

Carsten Siegner is working on an OpenDocument Viewer.

Carsten, If you read me, do you plane to use this work to do later an editor?
    this should be THE solution. I like a lot your work done on MagicalInk.

[ Edited by serge 15.02.2012 - 08:38 ]
  • »15.02.12 - 08:35
    xyphoid
    @Serge very good perspective of things and nice to know about the viewer...some links/posts regarding progect?
  • »16.02.12 - 01:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @serge & other MorphOS developers,

Regarding your post about software that is not hard to port to MorphOS, but is very boring and too time consuming for most good MorphOS programmers (I added words after the "boring" part), I think there are beginning programmers like myself that would be willing to do a lot of the boring programming work, under the guidance of 2 or 3 more experienced programmers. If such a project, like the porting of any good word processing program, were started and organized by one or more experienced programmers, maybe a few (or many) beginning to intermediate programmers could sign up to help complete the easier ("boring") parts of the software port to MorphOS, while the one or more experienced MorphOS programmers did the more difficult work and spot checked the work of the less experienced programmers working on the project.

That might be one way to share the work load of larger software projects for MorphOS, and get some of them completed that might otherwise look too large and daunting for any one developer to tackle.

Maybe such a suggestion has already been made, and no one was willing to participate, or no experienced programmers want to be involved in something that could become a confused mess and take up too much of their time doing just the organization and code checking of the less experienced programmers?
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »16.02.12 - 04:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > some links/posts regarding progect?

http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2012-01-00019-EN.html
    http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2012-01-00062-EN.html
    http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2012-02-00044-EN.html
  • »16.02.12 - 08:05
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    We have our hands full with developing the OS itself. If you want an office suite ported, better fund a bounty and find someone with enough experience from outside of the team.
  • »16.02.12 - 16:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I should have clarified my statement to exclude the MorphOS Dev. Team, when I wrote MorphOS Developers, I meant third party developers that do MorphOS programming.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »16.02.12 - 20:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    amigadave,
    Quote:

I should have clarified my statement to exclude the MorphOS Dev. Team, when I wrote MorphOS Developers, I meant third party developers that do MorphOS programming.

Are there any competent developers besides the MorphOS team? I know of a couple but they seem to have plenty on their plate.
  • »16.02.12 - 21:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Update:

> http://www.amigans.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1467

"AmigaOS port improvement (in progress). Thanks toMatthias Parnaudeau
    [...]
    Eric Bachard 14:17, 2 May 2012 (CEST)
    "
    http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/Changelogs

From Matthias:
    "With the last attempt, I thought we had to catch the opportunity to work with Eric who has an incredible knowledge on OO and made OO4kids, that was our only chance that deserved to be tried even if I knew we had very few chances to reach the goal."
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=33071&forum=14&start=60#674792
  • »01.08.12 - 15:37