Open Office port to MorphOS2.x
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > papyrus

As you know, that is a sad story on its own:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6058&forum=9&start=9
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6058&forum=9&start=18
  • »28.03.11 - 02:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > we still have 3 X11 servers

Yes, I've been aware of them. Actually, I used AmiWin on OS3 back in the days but never tried it on MorphOS. I believed they'd probably work on MorphOS but wouldn't be decent enough for running something like AbiWord.

> amicygnix just uses the plain x11 server from gg (which is why it's so slow).
    > And they can also use xami instead.

Thanks, didn't know that. So I conclude we'd just need a simple compile of AbiWord for MorphOS and could run it on GG's X11 server or Xami then, right?
  • »28.03.11 - 03:09
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >Thanks, didn't know that. So I conclude we'd just need a simple compile of AbiWord for MorphOS and could run it on GG's X11 server or Xami then, right?

If it's really that simple, why hasn't it been done?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »28.03.11 - 03:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > If it's really that simple, why hasn't it been done?

That's what I wonder myself. It's known that the MorphOS Team members aren't exactly fond of the prospect of seeing their OS degraded to an X11 server host but that surely wouldn't stop anyone else from compiling applications for X11 on MorphOS, especially ones that have so far been neglected on MorphOS itself. And as this thread and others show, the demand is definitely there. For now, I reboot into Leopard to do certain tasks like word processing. It would be far better to have the "alien" kludge that is X11 run in multitasking with my OS of choice.
  • »28.03.11 - 03:49
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    maybe we'll get a few pointers from a few knowledgeable souls to get the ball moving ;-)
  • »28.03.11 - 03:57
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Seeing you two on the same page vaguely frightens me (but not as much as Fab does when he pulls out something like this).

I've heard good things about Abiword. Not having to suffer through yet another port of Open Office would be nice.

And a word processor from our own market, all the better. It's about time we got something useful from the AOS4 crowd (since they had to turn to Fab to keep their browser up to date).

Good news gentlemen. Thank you.
  • »28.03.11 - 04:32
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I wouldn't mind helping out with native ports of OOO or AbiWord (which should in fact be easier). Not going to help with any halfassed os4alike X11 recompiles though.
  • »28.03.11 - 06:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    As said above, these X11 solutions are no solution at all. It feels really too clumsy to be any usable at all. In this case, even googledocs feels more integrated (and maybe even somewhat faster for some things :)).

Someone just needs to be motivated enough to port the required layers to run abiword or open office for a native port.
  • »28.03.11 - 08:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    I don't get the whining abou a decent word processor: use google docs. It is there it works and it works rock solid (i.e. OWB works rock solid, and in case something goes wrong teh google server has saved the last state of your work). It is ideal for working with different computers/OSes on different places.
    And yes, you can be paranoid about the almighty google, but so you can be about most other stuff. Sometimes you just need to be pragmatic. Trade a bit of the paranoia for the benfit of actually doing stuff. If you don't trust google there's zoho.com as well (but I haven't tried there office suite myself yet, but use their viewer).
    While nice, I guess a native port of OOo is quite a lot of work and since with the online office solutions there is a solution already I doubt it is worth the effort for the benefit in the current state of the community. I rather guess resources are better spend elsewhere. But of course if someone brings it on I will surely applaude.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »28.03.11 - 10:04
    Profile Visit Website
    analogkid
    I wonder how easy it would be to create a "native" wordprocessor based on Cairo with a nice MUI GUI, in some case like Carsten Siegner has done with his, well, "proofs of concepts" like Bilderwelten (which IIRC used Cairo), but more polished.
  • »28.03.11 - 10:24
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    I had a quick look at the abiword sources some time ago and while it's definitely possible to port it, the amount of motivation needed should not be underestimated ;-)

It would require a lot of work
  • »28.03.11 - 10:34
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 19.09.2011 - 19:56 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »28.03.11 - 12:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > not as much as Fab does when he pulls out something like this

In case you refer to his screenshot: That one is almost 4 years old and was linked by him numerous times in the past in order to show that X11 is possible on MorphOS. Examples:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=426960
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=32037&forum=25&start=120#570908
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=33041&forum=2&start=20#596494
  • »28.03.11 - 13:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > these X11 solutions are no solution at all. It feels really too clumsy
    > to be any usable at all.

Just in case someone doesn't want to rely on words alone but rather judge for himself, there's a Youtube video showing AbiWord, Gnumeric and other applications on OS4's AmiCygnix running on an 800 MHz G4 machine:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7584&forum=3&post_id=79884#79884
  • »28.03.11 - 13:35
  • deb
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    deb
    Quote:

by Zylesea on 2011/3/28 13:04:23

I don't get the whining abou a decent word processor

I agree 100% with you.

I would also like to ask the MOS-Team to remove Ambient from MorphOS because we don't need it. We have Shell and that's all we 'll ever need.
  • »28.03.11 - 13:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    No need to get cynical. Okay "whining" was a bit too strong though. But I wouldn't rate a word processor the #1 priority since with the online office solutions the situation isn't that bad. We actually can read, edit, modify and share .doc files convert them easily to pdf, work with several ppl on the same doc and so forth. google doc is quite powerful.
    Of course I would also like some decent offline offic solution, but it seems to be quite a lot of work. And since with the online solutions avaialable I dont thnk the effort/benefit ratio is too good for such a project. But well, maybe I overrate the required effort here by far But the OOo thing reminds me a bit on Mozilla/FF. For years it was some kind of holy grail, but there was much much work due to many internal dependencies not present in MorphOS holding the port back. Then eventually Fab did the owb port and made it later his genuine browser. I think we don't miss Mozilla/FF anymore.
    I think with OOo it is pretty similar. A straight port is a helluvalot work. But if someone would see a similar approach for an office solution (take the core, build your own progam around it) it could be the better. I tink that's what Kronos also suggested.
    --

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
  • »28.03.11 - 14:02
    Profile Visit Website
    xyphoid
    >I don't get the whining about a decent word processor
    Follow the tread through!

Google docs does not upload very well from owb!and even spoofing presents issues at times.
    Secondly, What about offline work? If my internet is busy d/l torrents on linux, then I'd be tied up if I need to do work...at least on my network which is < 1ghz.
    Lastly it's needed....what is there to get?
  • »28.03.11 - 14:06
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Google docs does not upload very well from owb!and even spoofing presents issues at times.

Spoofing as FF2/windows works pretty reliable *here* with google docs. Anyway I am surely not against an OOo or AW port to MorphOS. But I don't see the desparate need since with the online solutions there are useable solutions at least. I just think resources are spend better elsewhere.
    --

• »28.03.11 - 14:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Titan was having some troubles with [...] broken development machines.

Yes, that's why the fix for the expired full-version was announced to only come for m68k, not for PPC. So far, no timeout fix released.
  • »28.03.11 - 14:36
    xyphoid
    I'd just rather us trust our fate to our own hands, and not on online solutions which rely on 2nd and 3rd party. Web kit may change, google may change, Fab's busy vacationing at Spa somewhere, sipping on someerhing... :-D
  • »28.03.11 - 15:52
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @xyphoid

Good idea about the vacation, where do i sign? :)
  • »28.03.11 - 16:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

deb wrote:
    Quote:

by Zylesea on 2011/3/28 13:04:23

I don't get the whining abou a decent word processor

I agree 100% with you.

I would also like to ask the MOS-Team to remove Ambient from MorphOS because we don't need it. We have Shell and that's all we 'll ever need.

I would assume that's sarcasm.

Andreas, the demo on youtube that you linked to looks pretty good to me.
  • »28.03.11 - 17:01
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Fab wrote:
    @xyphoid

Good idea about the vacation, where do i sign? :)

And what would the MorphOS AND AOS4 communities do without you?

No Fab, no OWB. And then we'd have to rely on a stagnant port like the AOS4 people were ("Don't worry. We'll have Timberwolf soon" - yeah right, call me when its done).

Honestly, I think you guys are holding this to too high a standard. Abiword looks neither kludgy or slow.
  • »28.03.11 - 17:07
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    @Jim:

Pretty good? I'd say is rather sluggish and totally alien - like running this via VNC on some linux box. No thanks.
  • »28.03.11 - 17:43
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    @analogkid

Cairo helps you with displaying text in various fonts and styles, but thats where it ends (it's just a GFX-library after all).

Sure some sort of Rich-Text-Editor should be relativly easy but thats not something we are missing.

The real crux would be:
    -Formating
    -Indexes and other extended editing features
    -Compability with existing documents (read MS-Word)
    -Embeeding pictures, formulas etc.
    -Lots more

Something based on TeX might be an option.
  • »28.03.11 - 18:20