MPlayer CLI options?
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    I'm having a little trouble getting MPlayer to behave when launching from the CLI/script:

run apps:audiovisual/mplayer/gmplayer -vo cgx_overlay::PUBSCREEN=MPlayer -ao ahi_dev

The PUBSCREEN option does not seem to have any effect (MPlayer is a real public screen, case sensistivity has been preserved).

The syntax is (more-or-less) copied directly from the readme, noting that the PUBSCREEN option will not work with the GUI in embedded mode (which I am assuming is the same as 'integrated mode' described elsewhere in the readme), hence I am not using cgx_overlay_gui.

I've checked that the vo option is not enabled in conf/config, although I'd expect the CLI to over-write this anyway.
    I've also deleted all instances of env(-arc):mui/MPLAYER_GUI.#.prefs in case the MUI screen settings were over-riding the CLI options - no change.

I've also tried the command with/without a filename (in case the options did not take effect when opening application only):

run apps:audiovisual/mplayer/gmplayer fu:bar.avi -vo cgx_overlay::PUBSCREEN=MPlayer -ao ahi_dev

Alas, still no change.

Could someone please point out what I am doing wrong, or is it an undocumented limitation/bug?
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »17.11.10 - 23:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Don't use "gmplayer" but mplayer if you want to run purely in cli mode (gmplayer.info is just a project icon setting GUI tooltype).

The embedded mode indeed doesn't honor this pubscreen option, because MUI prevails in this case. But even then, you can still make embedded mode use any public screen you want by setting it in its MPlayer MUI prefs or by changing it in realtime (through the "jump to screen" menu item from "popup button" window mui gadget).
  • »18.11.10 - 01:30
    Profile Visit Website
    boot_wb
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'd renamed mplayer to gmplayer (as in the .readme) so the CLI command would call the file, not the icon, in any case.

Regardless, I renamed the file mplayer and changed the script to:

Quote:

run >nil: fu:bar/mplayer -gui 1 -vo cgx_overlay::PUBSCREEN=Ambient -ao ahi_dev

(and for good measure):

Quote:

run >nil: fu:bar/mplayer -gui 1 -vo cgx_overlay::PUBSCREEN=Workbench -ao ahi_dev

(Why does the Ambient/Workbench screen have two names in the jump-to-screen menu anyway?)

Unfortunately neither solved the problem,unless I'm still missing something. The MUI settings over-ride the CLI options.

What I'd like to accomplish is:

1) Opening mplayer fullscreen-overlay with integrated GUI on a dedicated screen (MPlayer) for video files (via video mimetype double-click), .

2) Opening MPlayer with seperate-panel gui on the Workbench screen (preferably with playlist open, but will figure that out later) for using mplayer as a playlist editor/audio player (launching the application directly).

1) is no problem, all currently done via mimetype arguements:
    Quote:

run >NIL: apps:audiovisual/mplayer/gmplayer %sp -fs

with the video driver set to cgx_overlay_gui through the application preferences, and the screen set in the application's MUI screen settings.

2) As far as I can tell, I should be able to accomplish this easily by overriding the application's MUI settings & preferences with the CLI arguements:
    Quote:

run >nil: fu:bar/mplayer -gui 1 -vo cgx_overlay::PUBSCREEN=Ambient -ao ahi_dev

via a script to launch the application, but it just doesn't seem to be working.

Using jump-to-screen has been my workaround so far, but it's kludgy and awkward and this simple(?) bit of configuration via a launching script will save me a lot of mouse-clicks over the years :-)

[Edited for clarity]

[ Edited by boot_wb on 2010/11/18 15:11 ]

Windows free since 2011!
  • »18.11.10 - 03:05
    Profile Visit Website
    boot_wb
    Update:
    It seems that the video driver part of the arguement is processed (project info shows cgx_overlay video driver being used as specified in the CLI args), but the PUBSCREEN part is not.
    I've also tried with 3 colons (since pubscreen is the third arguement, although the readme specifies two colon seperators)
    ie:
    Quote:

run >nil: fu:bar/mplayer -gui 1 -vo cgx_overlay:::PUBSCREEN=Ambient -ao ahi_dev

I've also tried using cgx_wpa with the same (lack of) effect with regard to pubscreen arguement (with either two or three ":" seperators between arguements).

Any suggestions? :-)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »18.11.10 - 15:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Well i wrote it in my first answer: PUBSCREEN argument won't be used in GUI + embedded mode. It should still work fine with wpa and overlay drivers, though.

I tested, and they indeed work (as long as the pubscreen is already opened).

[ Edited by Fab on 2010/11/18 19:07 ]
  • »18.11.10 - 19:04
    Profile Visit Website
    boot_wb
    Fab, thanks for your advice - through further testing I've solved the mystery, if not the problem.

When the application GUI launches it initially opens on the default MUI-specified screen (noticeable during cache-filling if you increase the cache size).
    It -appears to be- only when the video-output-window is opened that the application then jumps to the one specified in the PUBSCREEN arguement.

This means unfortunately that the CLI args do not override the MUI defaults in the following scenarios:
    1) When opening audio files (ie my scenario);
    2) When starting the application from the CLI without specifying a file.

Ah well, looks like I'm stuck with using jump-to-screen until I can find a workaround :-)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »18.11.10 - 20:55
    Profile Visit Website