OWB delayed page-loading solved :-)
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    As posted previously, I had been having problems with slow loading of some pages under OWB, and has previously found a workaround of using stop & refresh to speed up the page loading.
    Quote:

3) Slow rendering of certain pages (CSS issue?)
    Particularly noticeable on facebook.
    If I navigate to www.facebook.com, the page can take around 35 seconds to display (according to the network activity box, this is whilst loading a couple of css files).
    If, however, I navigate to www.facebook.com, then immediately stop the page from loading, then refresh - the page displays almost instantly.
    Wee-eird, dude!

I've now solved this problem for my setup, and since others posted similar experiences, I thought my solution may prove useful:

My network consists of:

Clients connected to a wireless router.
    The wireless router is connected to a modem-router.
    The modem-router is connected to the internet.
    (Now hear da words of da Lord)

The modem-router (provided by ISP) has the following config
    (WAN IP ---.---.---.---, LAN IP 192.168.1.254)

The wirelss router
    (WAN IP 192.168.1.1, LAN IP 192.168.0.1)

The clients:
    (IP 192.168.0.---)

When setting up the network under MorphOS (Settings>System>Network) I had basically been lazy, and set both Gateway and DNS to 192.168.0.1.

Having recently changed the MorphOS network settings to set the DNS as 192.168.1.254 (my modem-router's LAN-side IP address), this has solved all issues for me. (The Gateway obviously remains as 192.168.0.1)

I would guess it was something to do with slow request forwarding between the routers for certain sites. It seemed to mainly occur on rich-content pages requiring many connections (eg Guardian.co.uk, Facebook.com).

Whether this solution is specific to my dodgy setup or is helpful to others remains to be seen. Either way - Yay! OWB now flies as it should. :-D
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »08.11.10 - 22:23
    Profile Visit Website