Fab did it again - OWB 1.11 released
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @Andreas_Wolf,

Are you using TenFourFox on your G4 (and/or G5) Mac computers when running MacOSX instead of Firefox3.6.25? (that is the latest version of Firefox I have installed on my MacOSX)

If yes, is it a lot faster, or just more compatible with more websites? In other words, why do you use it instead of Firefox, or another browser?

The article you linked is interesting, although I did not carefully read all of it, since I do not fully understand all of what it was saying.

I wonder if any parts of what they are doing with JIT for PPC can be used to improve any unrelated projects in MorphOS? It would be nice if parts of these JIT engines could be adapted to help someone restart working on a project to provide JAVA for NG Amiga's, including MorphOS, or better Javascript performance for several Amiga & MorphOS applications, like browsers.

From skimming through the article, it appears that a lot of work continues to be done on JIT engines for PPC, which is good news, since so many other areas and companies and developers seem to be abandoning anything for PPC computers.

[ Edited by amigadave 16.01.2012 - 15:20 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »17.01.12 - 00:14
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Are you using TenFourFox on your G4 (and/or G5) Mac computers
    > when running MacOSX instead of Firefox3.6.25?

Yes, I've been using TenFourFox on my Mac mini for more than a year as the main browser on MacOSX.

> is it a lot faster, or just more compatible with more websites?

It's both faster and more compatible.

> why do you use it instead of Firefox, or another browser?

Mainly because it incorporates a JIT compiler for translation of JavaScript code to PPC machine code.

> I wonder if any parts of what they are doing with JIT for PPC can be
    > used to improve any unrelated projects in MorphOS?

The only project in MorphOS where I can see use for a JavaScript-to-PPC JIT compiler is OWB. Though Fab says integration into WebKit (which OWB is based on) "wouldn't be trivial". I guess that this project may be easier to integrate into OWB as Chrome/Chromium is also based on WebKit.

> It would be nice if parts of these JIT engines could be adapted to help
    > someone restart working on a project to provide JAVA for NG Amiga's,
    > including MorphOS

A JIT compiler that translates JavaScript code into PPC machine code would be of no use for translating Java virtual machine code into PPC machine code.

> or better Javascript performance for several Amiga & MorphOS applications,
    > like browsers.

Yes, that's exactly what a JavaScript-to-PPC JIT compiler is for.

> it appears that a lot of work continues to be done on JIT engines for
    > PPC, which is good news, since so many other areas and companies
    > and developers seem to be abandoning anything for PPC computers.

True. Apart from JavaScript JIT compilers there are other JIT compilers in the works targeting PPC, like for E-UAE, Python and Lua.
  • »17.01.12 - 01:08
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    lost my flash on 10-4-fox how do you get it going?
  • »17.01.12 - 03:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > lost my flash on 10-4-fox how do you get it going?

http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2011/07/60b1-available.html has the information on how the re-enable it. And yes, it works. With a little fiddling you can even run content that requires Flash 11.
  • »17.01.12 - 10:39
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    DrZarkov
    Without flash, I've really learned to appreciate OWB. I have a Mac Mini, running Morphos 2.7 and Tenfourfox on Tiger. Youtube was not usable running the HTML5 beta, it was a slideshow only, while it is running fine using OWB. So I had to re-enable Flash, which gives me all that commercials and silly popups back. ("of course" adblock+ has to be re-enabled, too, if you use Tenfourfox. The developers say, Flash is outdated and no longer safe, but without Flash Tenfourfox does not make any sense. The result: I've stopped booting Tiger at all, there is nothing left, where Morphos is not the better answer.

[ Edited by DrZarkov 17.01.2012 - 11:23 ]
  • »17.01.12 - 11:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Youtube was not usable running the HTML5 beta, it was a slideshow only

While it's still slower than on OWB and probably will be forever you should really retry TenFourFox from time to time as they are in the process of incorporating video decoding and display acceleration (especially for WebM) by using AltiVec.

> So I had to re-enable Flash

HTML5 video may be rather slow on TenFourFox (compared to OWB) but Flash video has always been even slower for me.

> there is nothing left, where Morphos is not the better answer.

I wish I could say the same as I still need to switch from MorphOS for office applications.
  • »17.01.12 - 11:49
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    DrZarkov
    At the Mac Mini (suing Tenfourfox) Youtube with Flash works, with HTML5 it doesn't. Safari works, of course.
  • »17.01.12 - 12:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    I like the flash handling of Opera. No autoplay as default. Hence no annoying ads and unwanted content, but still flash for compability. On OS X I use Opera only. Last version supporting 10.4 is still rather current.
    I always enjoy when I am finally done on OS X and reboot to MorphOS again.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »17.01.12 - 20:39
    Profile Visit Website
    matt3
    Can't wait till I can get to use MOS 3 on the PB.

OS X just isn't MOS...

Zylesea, why do you use opera? I am playing with TenFour, Safari, and Camino. Perhaps I should load it up on my PB...?
  • »17.01.12 - 21:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Without flash, I've really learned to appreciate OWB. I have a Mac Mini, running Morphos 2.7 and Tenfourfox on Tiger. Youtube was not usable running the HTML5 beta, it was a slideshow only, while it is running fine using OWB. So I had to re-enable Flash, which gives me all that commercials and silly popups back. ("of course" adblock+ has to be re-enabled, too, if you use Tenfourfox. The developers say, Flash is outdated and no longer safe, but without Flash Tenfourfox does not make any sense. The result: I've stopped booting Tiger at all, there is nothing left, where Morphos is not the better answer.

If I could just figure out how to get my wireless networking to work on any of my MorphOS computers, I would rarely boot any other system.

MorphOS does almost everything I need to do on any computer most of the time.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »17.01.12 - 21:50
    matt3
    AmigaDave,

Do you still have the Beta of MOS on you PB? If yes, can you please confirm that MOS can play a 4 gig 720p video cleanly? The best I can do is using xbmc on OSX and at most play a 1 to 2 gig 720p smoothly, even off an SSD or on a 1gig network.

I actually don't mind the wired networking on the PB. 1 gig versus wireless is a big difference with large files....

Thanks for the help/

PS do you still have the disks for the Amiga Miracle Keyboard? Would love to hook it up to my 3000.
  • »17.01.12 - 23:24
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    DrZarkov
    For Wifi I use this adaptor with Morphos: http://www.amazon.de/dp/B003D0WZKC/ref=asc_df_B003D0WZKC6159858?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&tag=googledeprodu-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22494&creativeASIN=B003D0WZKC

Configuration is via a webbrowser, it works even with the combination AmigaOS 3.1, Miami and IBrowse at my Amiga 2000.

[ Edited by DrZarkov 18.01.2012 - 10:00 ]
  • »18.01.12 - 09:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > At the Mac Mini (suing Tenfourfox) Youtube with Flash works, with HTML5 it doesn't.

I just tried Youtube HTML5 with several WebM videos at 360p resolution. Works without problems on my Mac mini 1.5 GHz in TenFourFox 10.0b1.
  • »18.01.12 - 17:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I fear it wouldn't be trivial for someone not familiar with javascriptcore
    > integration in WebKit.

Looks like someone will attempt to do it though:

"PowePC methodjit is available from TenFourFox but is lacking the glue code like for example the trampoline."
    http://code.google.com/p/leopard-webkit/
  • »26.01.12 - 00:09