OWB slow launching
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    On my Mac Mini 1.5Ghz, Mos2.6, OWB needs very long time to launch.
    I timed it to 27 seconds from the moment I doubleclicked its icon until the OWB window apeared. This was after a reboot to make sure other programs didnt interfer.
    I can not say exactly when this happened, but I know that OWB loaded much faster before.

I dont think this is OWBs fault, because I did a new test - rebooted and copied the whole OWB drawer to RAM: and started it from there. Then OWB launches almost instantly, aprox 2 seconds. The copy process of the OWB drawer takes about 4 -5 seconds.

Any idea about what could be causing this?
    My MorphOS partitioon is 20 GB, and have 3.5GB free at the moment. I havent noticed any other harddrive issues, but could there be some hdd trouble in the horizon? Or simply a fragmented drive (dont know if this is an issue anyway under SFS)?
    I havent noticed any significant slowdowns on any other programs, but then I dont use so many other "intensive" programs either.
  • »29.10.10 - 18:36
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Tried adding some buffers to SYS: ?
  • »29.10.10 - 18:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    Thanks, that drasticly improved tthe loading time to just below 5 secs.
    Sometimes the easy solutions are the best :)

I added a line in s:startup-sequence to add 1024 buffers, which gives 1152 in total. Are the other 128 buffers set by default by the filesystem, or is there another place to set this?

I notice there are some cache settings in the SFS/System Prefs, but I cant see the buffers listed in these settings. Can the addbuffers command by skipped and instead do some tweaking in the SFS settings instead?

Also, what is the recommended buffersize for the system drive?

As a sidenote, the fact that OWB loaded faster here earlier makes me wonder though if MOS2.6 came with some changes in the default buffer settings?
  • »29.10.10 - 19:46
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    I could see the following reasons:

- standalone OWB releases don't have compressed binary. Since the compressed binary expends from 11MB to ~40, it may take more time on machines with slower CPU (that's a balance between CPU and IO speed, in this case).

- OWB writes history, cookies and more importantly favicons to conf/ directory. In particular, webpageicons.db can grow quite a lot (and it's not purged automatically, unlike history). So one of these files maybe have got quite big or fragmented.

[ Edited by Fab on 2010/10/29 23:39 ]
  • »29.10.10 - 21:58
    Profile Visit Website