Icon Editor ?
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    NewSense,
    Quote:

Now we're cooking, but where's the keypress that allows me to snapshot ALL windows with the view I want as a default view, or once that specific setting is set will it allow this for all the folders/directories that have ICONs, or even ones without ICONs or is that the limiting factor?

If I understand correctly, then you want to control the default size/position of new windows.

If you're in 'Browser mode' (ie there are navigation buttons at the top of the window), then drawers will open in the existing window, whose size/window position will remain unchanged.

If you turn browser mode off* (ie no buttons at the top of the window, and when you open a drawer it opens in a new window - like the classic Amiga) then this becomes meaningful, and the default dimensions and position for new windows can be set**. (This setting will be invalidated if you enable the 'place the window under mouse pointer' checkbox). This will apply to all drawers without icons (and possibly to any with icons which have not been snapshotted). ***

If you've gone this far, then you may also want to disable autosorting**** within drawers and go for the full 'Amigalike' spatial file-browsing experience. :-)

EDIT: Some changes will require a restart to take effect.

* RMB on desktop>Settings>Ambient
    Window>Browser mode (checkbox)

** RMB on desktop>Settings>Ambient
    Window>Default dimensions and position

***One exception is launching the MyMorphOS window by double clicking on the desktop - this will always open under the mouse pointer. However, if you launch it by double-clicking the MyMorphOS icon on the desktop, then it can be snapshotted in place like any drawer with an icon.

***Edit "sys/prefs/ambient/advanced.conf"
    Add the line "autosort = false" (with the spaces, without the quotes).

[ Edited by boot_wb 13.11.2012 - 01:02 ]
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »12.11.12 - 19:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    jPV,
    Quote:

You can also click the icon image in the icon information window and you get a filerequester where you can select any .info file or any image file to be used. For example you can select image in any format (jpg, gif, iff...) and it will be converted to png icon when you click save.

OK, that's something else I've learned now, thanks
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »13.11.12 - 01:36
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    itix,
    Quote:

Ambient supports DualPNG feature from AROS. Draw two images and join images to one file using Join command. I cant remember if DualPNG is enabled by default but you find it from Ambient settings.

OK, something more to appreciate, and thanks for the information
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »13.11.12 - 01:38
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    jPV,
    Quote:

I guess you'd love Ken's Icons then :) They're Dual PNG icons in Glowicons style... you click them and you get the glow. Enable "Two state PNG icons" in Ambient Settings -> Icon Display -> Extra Features.

OK, I'll give those a good look at to see if there's something for my system, thanks
  • »13.11.12 - 01:39
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Henes,
    Quote:

Yes. It would save a copy of the default icon as a new real icon while you only wanted to change a protection bit.

Then surely there should be an option to not create an icon, AND for that matter to create an icon from a default icon, for that very reason, so you can choose to NOT create one or YES create one.

Seems this should be a feature of MorphOS anyway, to ensure when you are altering the read protection bits that creating an icon for a file you don't want to amend is left the same apart from the changes you want, or allow you to create that icon from the default one aleady being displayed.

Seems logical to me, what's your opinion?

[ Edited by NewSense 13.11.2012 - 02:22 ]
  • »13.11.12 - 02:21
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    boot_wb,
    Quote:

If I understand correctly, then you want to control the default size/position of new windows.

If you're in 'Browser mode' (ie there are navigation buttons at the top of the window), then drawers will open in the existing window, whose size/window position will remain unchanged.

Yes viewing icons as they are viewed in Amiga OS3.9 would be nice to try to see how it works on MorphOS, I can always change back if it doesn't work out.

The only thing with using non-browser mode, and not having autosort enabled does not automatically arrange the icons in the window, and there does not seem to be any keypress combination to arrange them as 'clean up' Amiga + '.' did under OS3.x which would be a big help in arranging the icons in the window. I know I can arrange them with sort by type, or date, etc, but then I've got to use the mouse menus, and then use the mouse menus again to snapshot the window.

Do you know of a way to shortcut this process, and preferably with a few keypresses that will arange them in a window, and then snapshot them, without having to resort to using the mouse?

I've made some of the changes you've mentioned in the lower part of your suggestions, and I'll see how that goes, and let you know if that resolved some of my issues with icons, under MorphOS, but thanks for the advice so far.
  • »13.11.12 - 02:31
    boot_wb
    Quote:

Do you know of a way to shortcut this process, and preferably with a few keypresses that will arange them in a window, and then snapshot them, without having to resort to using the mouse?

"RAmiga + ." works on my Powerbook (UK keymap) to arrange them into alphabetical order. That is the .> key on the main keyboard, not the numeric keypad.
    RAmiga + S does not appear to snapshot icons though (which I'm mildly surprised by), so you may have to sufffer using the mouse on those rare occasions. :-D
    Of course snapshotting into place after cleaning up would only affect files/directories with icons in any case.

[ Edited by boot_wb 13.11.2012 - 02:57 ]
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »13.11.12 - 02:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    boot_wb,
    Quote:

"RAmiga + ." works on my Powerbook (UK keymap) to arrange them into alphabetical order. That is the .> key on the main keyboard, not the numeric keypad.

Is this 'CleanUp' shortcut keypress shown somewhere in the MorphOS / Ambient settings?

OK, tried that, and your correct Right Command (Amiga) + '.' does CleanUp the window, BUT when I snapshot the window, they are all jumbled up by MorphOS into some other order ..... weird or what !!

But it seems it's all related to if the folder has or hasn't got a PNG Icon.

That goes for the System window, which after CleanUp is sorted into an alphanumeric list, and nicely levelled for each icon, for each row, and column, but as soon as I Snapshot the icons they all go off into some 'disorder' of the system's making, so that on the top line I get Applications, next to MorphOS, which is positioned slightly higher than the Applications folder, and then comes the Classes folder, which sits at the same height as the Applications folder.

I should mention that I have the autosort feature of Ambient turnned off (false - as you suggested I should try) when I did this, but with it turned back on in the default, with autostart commented out ';' (semicolon) before autosort then when I snapshot the window after CleanUp then they all are correctly positioned, but for folders that don't have an icon you cannot snapshot the size of the window and the icons as you would like as the window opens to the default window size as set in Ambient Settings, so the governing factor here is that you MUST have an icon to be able to set/position where and what size the window will look like when you double-click on it with non-browser mode.

So I have had to ensure I have an icon for all my system folders for me to be able to save them in the position I want them to open in, and at the size/dimensions I would like to keep them in, so for Fonts I have the window set to open in List view, with the window size opening close to the left hand edge of the screen, and just large enough to see all the relevant wording associated with all the fonts in the folder.

That way I can easily look through the fonts drawer to see which fonts I have or don't have on my system.

I know this is not absolutely necessary, but it makes it easier for me who's just migrated some of my applications, files from Amiga OS3.9, but as PageStream does not seem to be working on MorphOS at present on my Mac Mini I am more than a little disappointed - at present, though I hope this issue for one is resolved soon.

[ Edited by NewSense 13.11.2012 - 19:04 ]
  • »13.11.12 - 19:02
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > PageStream does not seem to be working on MorphOS at present on my Mac Mini

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8680&forum=38&start=15

Followed this advice?
  • »14.11.12 - 00:32
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Andreas_Wolf,
    Quote:

Followed this advice? - https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8680&forum=38&start=15

Yep, and it did no good, but I've replied to the person on that page, and asked what hardware they are managing to get PageStream 4 working on.

Thanks for your interest in my attempt to solve or at least understand & work out MorphOS's problem with running PageStream 4, much appreciated.
  • »14.11.12 - 01:12
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

So I have had to ensure I have an icon for all my system folders for me to be able to save them in the position I want them to open in, and at the size/dimensions I would like to keep them in

This is purely heritage from the AmigaOS. It works same way for example with 3.x. There were some discussions few years ago if there should be some database for window settings (and which kind would be the next question, it would be filled eventually pretty big) or should it be in traditional Amiga way. It's again one of those things which splits the opinions. I personally would like some kind of database a la (optionally in) Magellan2...
  • »14.11.12 - 06:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Yep, and it did no good, but I've replied to the person on that page, and asked what hardware they are managing to get PageStream 4 working on.

I have no time to dig all other threads now, but hardware shouldn't matter with MorphOS if it works or not. Unless you're running old MorphOS on classic Amiga, but all more modern HW should be the same.

I've tried PageStream 4.1.2 on Peg1, Mac mini etc without problems. I copied my old installation from A1200 and I think I didn't have to change any settings.. can't remember 100% sure though :) One thing which could affect that I had RTG setup already on A1200, so it's more likely to work directly copied than if you'd had AGA setup. Anyway, I'd first check PageStream4.prefs file what kind of screenmode is saved there.. or rename that file out of use to try with default settings when it should open in WB/Ambient screen with all other settings as default too.

And you have all needed assigns in use too?

[ Edited by jPV 14.11.2012 - 08:22 ]
  • »14.11.12 - 06:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    jPV,
    Quote:

I'd first check PageStream4.prefs file what kind of screenmode is saved there.. or rename that file out of use to try with default settings when it should open in WB/Ambient screen with all other settings as default too.

And you have all needed assigns in use too?

Eventually ... I installed PageStream 4.1.5.6 using the MorphOS installer, so it initially started up on Ambient.

When I'd eventually got it to run I couldn't get any text on screen, and the fonts when updated disappeared from the font lister.

The assigns are added automatically by the MorphOS installer, in the user-startup, but after a reset when the assigns should have been activated it made no difference to the font problem.

I managed to get it running on a custom screen, but that screen, unlike the OWB screen, did not import the items in the top window bar such as the CPU Meter, Ram Meter, clock, Jukebox mini menubar ticker/controls, so maybe there is a conflict with the program and some of those features/programs.
  • »20.11.12 - 02:14
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    NewSense,
    Quote:

When I'd eventually got it to run I couldn't get any text on screen, and the fonts when updated disappeared from the font lister.

Hmm... for me the default font is missing on my installation, but there isn't problem selecting another working font from the pulldown menu's font selection.

Quote:

I managed to get it running on a custom screen, but that screen, unlike the OWB screen, did not import the items in the top window bar such as the CPU Meter, Ram Meter, clock, Jukebox mini menubar ticker/controls, so maybe there is a conflict with the program and some of those features/programs.

No, it's normal that they are missing. Screenbar modules only work on MUI screens, not others.
  • »20.11.12 - 07:54
    Profile Visit Website
    connor
    Quote:

I guess you'd love Ken's Icons then :) They're Dual PNG icons in Glowicons style... you click them and you get the glow. Enable "Two state PNG icons" in Ambient Settings -> Icon Display -> Extra Features.

Here's Aminet readme for those http://aminet.net/package/pix/picon/kens_icons_v4
    And here's more of them http://www.five-star.com/icons.htm (grab for example Download/disks.lha for some nice MorphOS related drive icons).

Yes, they look quite well. There are also other icons in that style on Aminet but they are displayed wrong. I do not know the exact names but I can look for them if needed. It would be nice if these icons could be fully supported, too. I think they are made for OS3 and OS4 but MOs is not far from them regarding icons. Some of them are from chaose590 or so (user name) others from Mason icons. They work with OS3 but with MOS you get wrong colours, inverted icons (blue turns pink or such) or transparent pixels turn to non-transparent. It owuld be nice if they could be fully supported, too. I guess it should not mean much work to make them correctly visible as they are already visible partly.
  • »20.11.12 - 18:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > chaose590 or so (user name)

He's even a MorphZone member:

https://morph.zone/users/3105.html
  • »20.11.12 - 20:03
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    jPV,
    Quote:

Hmm... for me the default font is missing on my installation, but there isn't problem selecting another working font from the pulldown menu's font selection.
    Have you been able to get that font issue resolved, as I am still struggling with the font issue, and can't use PageStream 4.1.5.6 at all due to there being no fonts available.

Quote:

No, it's normal that they are missing. Screenbar modules only work on MUI screens, not others.

OK, thanks, I'll bear that in mind about PageStream
  • »24.11.12 - 02:22