• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    NewSense,
    Quote:

Now we're cooking, but where's the keypress that allows me to snapshot ALL windows with the view I want as a default view, or once that specific setting is set will it allow this for all the folders/directories that have ICONs, or even ones without ICONs or is that the limiting factor?

If I understand correctly, then you want to control the default size/position of new windows.

If you're in 'Browser mode' (ie there are navigation buttons at the top of the window), then drawers will open in the existing window, whose size/window position will remain unchanged.

If you turn browser mode off* (ie no buttons at the top of the window, and when you open a drawer it opens in a new window - like the classic Amiga) then this becomes meaningful, and the default dimensions and position for new windows can be set**. (This setting will be invalidated if you enable the 'place the window under mouse pointer' checkbox). This will apply to all drawers without icons (and possibly to any with icons which have not been snapshotted). ***

If you've gone this far, then you may also want to disable autosorting**** within drawers and go for the full 'Amigalike' spatial file-browsing experience. :-)

EDIT: Some changes will require a restart to take effect.

* RMB on desktop>Settings>Ambient
    Window>Browser mode (checkbox)

** RMB on desktop>Settings>Ambient
    Window>Default dimensions and position

***One exception is launching the MyMorphOS window by double clicking on the desktop - this will always open under the mouse pointer. However, if you launch it by double-clicking the MyMorphOS icon on the desktop, then it can be snapshotted in place like any drawer with an icon.

***Edit "sys/prefs/ambient/advanced.conf"
    Add the line "autosort = false" (with the spaces, without the quotes).

[ Edited by boot_wb 13.11.2012 - 01:02 ]
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »12.11.12 - 19:05
    Profile Visit Website