• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    @Newsense

It can be a bit frustrating getting used to some of the changes from 3.9 (although personally I found iconedit slow to load and kludgy when it did). I also found the 'multiple clicks to see all files' frustrating until I got my system configured.

Quote:

[...] or some preference feature that automatically allows you to see all the contents in all folders by default,

There is:

Right clink on desktop
    Settings>Ambient
    Windows>View behaviour

The preferences scheme, whilst greatly improved in layout from OS3.9/MorphOS1.x, is still a bit of a nightmare to navigate for the novice.

RMB on desktop>Settings>
    has 4 entries (Ambient, Ambient MUI, System, MUI) which are explained below (in a more logical order).

MUI
    MUI is the GUI toolkit used for Ambient, and most programs. It's big, but is easy to get to grips with: it's hierarchical. (Ambient can also be seen as an 'MUI program' in terms of this hierarchy.)
    Global settings are made in Settings>MUI, which become the 'default' for all programs (including Ambient). These can then be over-ridden for individual programs within the program's own settings (any MUI program will have an 'MUI settings' item in its menu)

Ambient MUI
    These are the MUI settings for Ambient only - these will affect how elements of the desktop environment appear (eg file browsing windows, 'About MorphOS' information windows, etc). Changes made here will not affect the appearance/behaviour of any programs which are launched.

Ambient
    These are Ambient's 'program settings' (how icons appear, what information is shown on the desktop/titlebar, ambient behaviour, default window views, etc).

System
    System settings: Network, USB, etc (iControl is also here, which is a bit confusing since there is some overlap with Ambient functionality).

One of the most confusing things is seeing duplication between 'MUI' settings, 'Ambient MUI' settings, and individual 'program MUI' settings. Once you understand the hierarchy, it all becomes a bit more logical.

Unfortunately, as with any highly configurable/complex system, the balance has to be made between 'simplicity in the user interface' and 'providing access to every degree of functionality'. I actually think they've done rather well in this regard, although there's always room for improvement.

[ Edited by boot_wb 11.11.2012 - 20:22 ]
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »11.11.12 - 12:18
    Profile Visit Website