• Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Henes,
    Quote:

As said in some post above, there is one: Sketch. And you can use any other image editor able to load and save PNG.

I am surprised there is only this image editor for MorphOS. What a mess to have to load an external program to 'fudge' an icon into being, instead of having a dedicated utility within the framework of an OS to be able to modify easily an icon that you want to be able to utilise for other purposes, rather than maybe have to totally design your own, and ensure you create it in the correct format/size.

With Amiga OS3.x you could do all those modifications with IconEdit, and were glad that it was there as a method creating duplicate icons or modified icons for whatever you wanted. I have found it indispensible for OS3.x, particularly for OS3.9, and quite frankly I was stunned to not find an Icon Editor in MorphOS. It's like taking a step back to Windows and Mac where you can't just readily do that - it's definitely not a plus point, and one mistake that I'd hope will be rectified as soon as possible.

Quote:

The "Information" window is a bit special because it gives you access to both the file's attributes and its (potential) .info icon through the same single GUI element. Two in one.

Well that is basically the same as Amiga OS3.9, BUT when I tried to amend the 'tool' information to 'project' it unghosted/highlighted the SAVE option, but when I saved it, and went back to it, it had failed to save the changes, now that is another problem that needs fixing as soon as possible.

Quote:

I often use it to change a file's attributes and I certainly wouldn't like it adds an icon to it... because I would have to delete it immediatly afterward.

Why would you want to delete an icon under normal circumstances? As I see it with the way MorphOS works, every damn time you open a window you have to go through the 3 stage process of 'showing all files', then show 'thumbnails' then you have to open the menu again to snapshot all in that window, or the next time you look through that folder you won't see what you want to be able to see straight away, and that again takes time to go through all that messing about yet again, it's just ridiculous.

I ought to mention that under OS3.9 using IconEdit you could choose to save the .info file as ANY icon you had on your system, or just as a modified version of the one you imported, or save it as the same icon as either the same nameor as a different name. So many possibilities, but none of them seem to have reached this OS.

Choosing 'Information' on Amiga O3.9 you could alter the name of the icon, alter the tooltype, the stack size, and many other things, some of which you are supposed to be able to do on MorphOS, but which don't seem to work fully as far as I have had occasion to use.

You could also save the file you had just accessed the information of, but without saving it with an icon file, or you could save it with an icon from the default set that it had been imported with, and then you could change it to what you wanted with IconEdit or just copy another icon that you wanted it to inherit with the copy command via the CLI/Shell. More features that as yet I seem to feel have failed to make it into this OS

Unless, as a newbie, I am missing some simple fix that allows a keyboard shortcut(s) to show all files in a folder with a keyboard keypess combination, or some preference feature that automatically allows you to see all the contents in all folders by default, and I'd love to see that feature, but I don't think as yet even that exists, but please let me know if one does exist, or a small program that allows you to modify the menu keystrokes, as I'll be changing them pronto/immediately I get to find out if/that such a program exists.

I used to use a program called ReKeyIt on my Amiga under OS3.9 which allows you to add numerous keyboard shortcuts to allow this functionality and give you many more keyboard shortcuts, and even change some of the original Amiga keyboard shortcuts to make it work more efficiently, wheras MorphOS doesn't have such a utility, or a keyboard option for a menu option for each folder, wether it has or does not have an icon to virtually immediately show what's in the folder even if there are no files with associated icons in the folder.

I just can't believe MorphOS in this latest version 3 has been left with such severely hampered limitations regarding icons, and keyboard shortcuts as it is at the moment. I have seen the prefs for keyboard shortcuts, which I stumbled on, and amended some of the keypresses, which has made a small impovement to the functionality of using the keyboard, but I have not found a way to modify the keyboard shortcuts for the main, or window menus at present (MUI style) - maybe they are buried somewhere in MUI that I haven't found, though I doubt that, though maybe it could be easily be incorporated in there.

I really hope there is a solution I haven't seen or been told about to remedy this situation as it's just awful at present, and is spoiling my enjoyment of getting to grips with the OS.

Quote:

But the "Information" window can be made to save an icon. You just have to drag and drop another icon over the currently displayed one. And press the (then unghosted) save button.

OK, that works, but what a laborious method of being able to do that. What happened to the efficiency of the OS to put the user in a situation where they are not able to automatically make visible ANY, and ALL icons/files, even if they are default icons, and even if they do or do not have an icon for pity's sake.

[ Edited by NewSense 11.11.2012 - 03:14 ]
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »11.11.12 - 02:51