• Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Hi all, I've just started using MorphOS (newbie) but I've had Amigas for many years, so I know some of the basics for this updated OS.

I just can't believe that there is no Icon Editor for MorphOS, that seems to be a fundamental feature missing from the OS.

I wondered if anyone has had any success at using any of the older Amiga OS 3.9 or lower with their icon editors and getting them to run under MorphOS?

Though there was never any support for PNG icons in OS3.9 until the PowerIcon utility came along, but it didn't actually allow the creation of PNG .info icon images, and I seem to remember trying to edit a PNG icon in OS3.9 with Icon Edit and it just offered a sprawl of colours as it's attempt to render the PNG image/icon, so I doubt that will work.

I was also surprised that when you attempt to SAVE a PNG default icon it does not save it as though it was a specific PNG icon as it does with a standard .info under OS3.9, so you don't have to keep 'showing' all files. In fact I don't see it SAVE the file in any different a way than it was before.

I also tried to save an icon file as a project instead of a tool, and add a default tool to it, but the icon didn't save the features / modifications, just went back to where it was before. I cannot understand why that feature seems to be available, if it just doesn't work. Has anyone else noticed that problem or know of a way to enable the feature, and know if it saves the icon file with an .info file ?

I have enabled the feature of creating .info files from default icons, but I still seem to have a few non-.info icons peppered about, and is there any way to get this remdied with ease. I have resorted to deleting non-.info folders/drawers and creating new ones with an info file.

Having said that under OS3.9 it had a 'tick-box' default enabled for 'create icon' when you generated a new folder, which was a lot less complicated than having to click on the requester field box to either create or not-create an icon when you do this under MorphOS. If anyone knows how to enable the create icon feature by default I'd like to know, because if you press 'Enter' you immediately create a folder/drawer without an icon which seems a bit daft. Anyone know of a solution to that problem

I know you can save the snapshot the contents of a directory/folder once you've made the files 'visible' but it's a second rate method of achieving what was a better feature in a much older OS that was far better handled, especially as there was a keyboard shortcut to be able to do that instead of having to keep using the mouse and selecting that option in the drop-down menu.

I like the icon/file Thumbnail feature a lot, and that is definitely an improvement. Can you choose the size of the thumbnails by altering some setting(s)? 8-)

Anyway, glad to be here, and to have joined the MorphOS folks with my Mac Mini.

Is there anywhere to add the fact that I have registered as a user, some sort of list to add my presence as to how many of us there are in total?
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »10.11.12 - 02:35