USB joystick on E-UAE
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    Is there some spcial configuration needed to get the USB joystick to work on E-UAE (mac mini).
    I did change the config file to joyport1=joy1
    (was using kbd2 before).
    But when launching e-uae.sdl it still seem to use the kbd2 configuration. When using e-uae it does not respond these keys, and not the joystick either.
    The joystick is a Competition Pro USB.
  • »30.05.10 - 12:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Daff
    Try joy0
    Obligement - L'Amiga au maximum
    http://obligement.free.fr
  • »30.05.10 - 12:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Any reason to use the SDL version?
  • »30.05.10 - 13:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    Thanks for the tip, but joy0 did not do anything. It looks like in the USB devices settings that its configured onto port1.
    But I must say that the configuration settings here looks a bit confusing to me.

Why the sdl version? I have been trying both to se if it makes any difference regarding the joystick. And to use P96 I need the sdl version, my Workbench looks crappy without it. Offcourse this shouldnt matter so much if I just want to launch a game.
  • »30.05.10 - 20:17
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Ok, I just wanted to make sure you knew the difference. The SDL version indeed has P96 support, unlike the "native" one. On the other hand, the native one is quite faster (especially with overlay output enabled).

About your joypad issue, first, you need to be sure the joypad is actually set up correctly in poseidon itself (and bound to a lowlevel unit). If you have already tested successfully another app with joypad, then it should be ok. :)
    In UAE configuration itself, i can't test the SDL version right now, but the following worked with non SDL version:
    joyport0=mouse
    joyport1=joy1

(to be noted my joypad is set to lowlevel unit 1 in poseidon prefs)
  • »30.05.10 - 23:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    Its repsonding now, but something must be wrong in the config.
    In poseidon its set to
    port0: dont touch
    port1: Merge with USB
    rumble poty: port 1
    Maybe I messed up the config earlier when trying to get it to work. Is there a file or something from the CD I can copy back to reset it to default values?

I was testing it earlier with the game superfrog. But this game doesnt work with the joystick at all. (it needs to have fire button pressed in order to get to the first menu)
    Now I tried another game (prince of persia), this game starts without having to do anything with the joystick.
    It looks a little better, the character does repsond to "down", and "up". But left / right and fire doesnt do much. Also it looks like the left direction is activated at all times.

I did test the joystick breifly with a MorphOS game (neverball). Here the jpystick works up and down, and right. (but then it hangs to the right) Left doesnt work, and fire is untested.
  • »31.05.10 - 18:31
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Ok, so your issue is in the joypad configuration in poseidon itself. Go to the joypad hid class setting, check "track incoming events", test your buttons/directions and fix the bindings or thresholds if needed.
  • »31.05.10 - 18:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    Got it working now, thanks for your patience.

But to be honest, those settings are still very confusing to me. And to the computer as well I thing, the preferences application did freeze a couple of times when saving on exit. And at one occation the whole system froze.

At first I tried to configure the missing lefts and rights, resulting in that no direction working.. Then I just deleted all the bindings and save&exit. After a reboot, it seemed like it had restored these settings back to default. Then all the directions worked, but not the fire buttons. It looks like these firebutton only have one action configured by default, the assign. I addes the action for push and release on eval 1 and eval 0, then it seem to work ok.
  • »31.05.10 - 22:34