SVG graphics creation under MorphOS
  • rms
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    rms
    Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to export/create graphics in svg format under MorphOS. What I would need is eg. to save vectorgraphics, like eps or illustrator to svg, also vectorized text, saved as eps to svg, or pdf with vector graphics to svg.

Is there any solution do to that?

Thanks for feedback.

Christoph
  • »12.02.10 - 06:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Maybe these:

http://aminet.net/search?name=autotrace&arch=ppc-morphos
    http://aminet.net/search?name=potrace&arch=ppc-morphos
    https://morph.zone/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1699 (seems offline)
  • »12.02.10 - 08:42
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Yomgui
    It's a shame that inkspace are so hard linked to huge and complexes libraries like gtkmm&glibmm, sigc++, boehm-gc, and many other linux libs!
    And now... next project!
  • »12.02.10 - 09:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

It's a shame that inkspace are so hard linked to huge and complexes libraries like gtkmm&glibmm, sigc++, boehm-gc, and many other linux libs!

Actually I did a little research on doing a gui-less port (Inkscape offers quite a few interesting command-line options (besides, it's always a good start on the way to a full port)) a few years back, and I got it linking, however IIRC I had some issues with getting boehm-gc/sigc++ working correctly...

- CISC
  • »12.02.10 - 11:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Yomgui
    gui-less... but most of all difficulties reside in the GUI stuffs :-)
    So, well, command-line features are to converting SVG from/to various others format, aren't?

Many others open-source projects do that already and are much easier to port also.

Note: few years back, inkscape was coded in C... now it's 90% in C++ with C++ external libraries also. So I think that your code needs to be re-written again.

[ Edited by Yomgui on 2010/2/12 12:42 ]
    And now... next project!
  • »12.02.10 - 11:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

gui-less... but most of all difficulties reside in the GUI stuffs

Sure, but most of the time you won't actually port that part, but rather rewrite the whole shebang.

Quote:

So, well, command-line features are to converting SVG from/to various others format, aren't?

Many others open-source projects do that already and are much easier to port also.

There were some other options too I think, but yeah, for converting SVGs I already ported a few of those... ;)

Quote:

Note: few years back, inkscape was coded in C... now it's 90% in C++ with C++ external libraries also. So I think that your code needs to be re-written again.

Well, I do remember there being a bit of C++, but if it's almost exclusively C++ now it surely has gone in the wrong direction. :P

- CISC
  • »12.02.10 - 12:34
  • rms
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    rms
    Hi all,

thanks for feedback but what I also need is to convert already vector graphics, like illustrator or eps or dr2d or a pdf with vector graphics in it to svg! Potrace seems not to be able to do that...
  • »12.02.10 - 14:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Hehe. Porting of C++ apps is a pain, especially when OS lacks C++ compiler.
    WBR, Vladimir Berezenko
  • »14.02.10 - 06:46
    Kronos
    Huh ?

MorphOS does have a C++ compiler, a little bit old but sufficient for most things. Doubtfull wether a newer C++ (which do exist, just not officially approved) would really make a differnce here.

/me goes back to fighting with SVG :hammer:
  • »14.02.10 - 11:58