Efika: problem with sound
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Hi,

Yesterday my Efika became suspiciously quiet. It just wont play a sound. All aplications that normally play music work almost normally (don't complain about something missing), except for the fact that I can't hear anything!

I had similar problem some two months ago, and fixed it reinstalling MorphOS (but reinstalling after formatting the sys: partition, otherwise that trick didn't work), so I gues it's a software fault. If I can't think of a better solution I will go that way, but maybe there's a less aggressive way to solve my problem.

And yes, I've tried connecting my Efika to another speakers and headphones. With no luck. I also created new ahi.prefs and played a bit with Mixer.

Any suggestions?
  • »25.12.09 - 07:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Boot off an usb stick to test whether it works or not. If that works fine, you may try to hunt down the prob (watch debug outpot, stugy Snoopium messges and all that usual stuff).
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »25.12.09 - 11:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    I've studied Snoopium logs while trying to play a mp3 file directly from Ambient. Only one fail, not even remotely close to anything connected with sound.

On MorphOS booted from a USB stick, sound doesn't work at all - applications complain about lack of some device or whatever.

Anyway, I did the same as few months ago - reinstallation after quick format of sys: . And it worked again. Now I'll sit down and copy my sys: backup - one drawer after another, until I'll find what causes the problem. And then...
  • »25.12.09 - 18:05
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    OK, so here we go: the bad guy's name is ac97_mixer.prefs. It can be found in sys:prefs/env-archive/sys/ and if it's present then I get no sound at all.

If I delete or rename it, everything works flawlessly. It is created by "volume" screenbar module, when changing the volume - everything works fine untill reboot. Then we get the mentioned "no sound" issue.
  • »29.12.09 - 21:39
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ausPPC
    Well done for tracking that down! I wonder if there's a proper fix for this...
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »29.12.09 - 23:05
    Profile Visit Website