• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    td741
    Quote:

What is Region 1?

Commercial DVD's are generally Region Coded. This is done to try and protect the release of new movies since they are generally not released simultanously around the world.

<snip>
    Seven regions (also called locales or zones) have been defined, and each one is assigned a number. Players and discs are often identified by the region number superimposed on a world globe. If a disc plays in more than one region it will have more than one number on the globe.
    1: U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
    2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
    3: Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
    4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean
    5: Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
    6: China
    7: Reserved
    8: Special international venues (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.)
    </snip>

There are some "all region" coded DVD's, and some players that can "change regions" or have "all regions". Mind you there are some DVDs that attempt to thwart multi-region players.

@Spidey:
    Are you going through the icon tooltypes or command line options? I just go through the tooltypes and I set the DVD_TITLE, DVD_DEVICE and DVD_UNIT. (Not 100% if those are the tooltypes since I'm not near my Pegasos at the moment. :P)
    Steph
  • »04.09.03 - 15:07
    Profile Visit Website