Ambient messed up
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    After screwing up my e-uae/whdloader install process,(which is not surprising knowing me....can't follow a simple install procedure) My ambient screen got screwed up some how, not exactly sure how or why, but windows wont open, mouse click under text wont execute,graphics are altered as if no graphic mem, icons wont show up in opened windows, which makes me limited to shell. before I go deleting things, does anyone recognize any possible solutions? It has to be some file somewhere ...duhhh

If this can't get fixed will my key be messed up on a reinstall?
  • »08.12.09 - 17:41
  • ASiegel
    If you reinstall MorphOS, your existing keyfile should still work just fine. No worries.
  • »08.12.09 - 18:00
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Totally blind guess... I remember seeing that "uae_rcli" had to be added to *morphos* startup-sequence (which is a bit surprising, because uae_rcli is generally used in uae, not in the host OS, but why not, i didn't check what it was used for).

Anyway, try removing that from startup-sequence and try again, before reinstalling. Reinstalling is a bit overkill if you can just revert your changes. :)
  • »08.12.09 - 19:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • TGR
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    TGR
    boot from your mos cd and remove the datatypes from sys:libs/datatypes.

This screwed up my system when I added all files from os3.9 libs/datatype directory! but with the amiga.guide and text one it worked fine. But try removing them first.
    Mini Mac G4 1.25, 1gb ram, 40 gig hdd, Registered Morphos 2.6.
  • »08.12.09 - 20:39
    xyphoid
    made all necessary deletes and still the same problem..dam no back ups, and i just got my morphos configured how i like, owb, mplayer, mame....
  • »09.12.09 - 01:42
    xyphoid
    bump!

[ Edited by xyphoid on 2009/12/8 21:58 ]
  • »09.12.09 - 02:52
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I would check the sys:.recycled dir for recently deleted/overwritten files and think if there's some important system file (libraries, devices, startup scripts, prefs files, etc) replaced with non-working one. Compare them to currently installed files etc. And also I would check the dates of system dirs/files to see where has been some changes and make the conclusions.

When you find suspicious change, try to revert it for example by copying earlier version of it from the .recycled dir. Don't delete the installed file either.. rename it to something else while testing and if it wasn't that, rename it back :) Repeat the procedure until you find the broken one :)
  • »09.12.09 - 07:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Given the problems, it would seem it could be MUI itself that has been altered somehow. Maybe some core mui libraries/classes were "replaced" by 3.8 MUI or so (but then i wonder how you achieved that :)).
  • »09.12.09 - 13:01
    Profile Visit Website
    xyphoid
    Me too ;-) since I swear this time I left MOSSYS alone, and nothing was written to files while installing e-uae. It was late when i was using nowind to ed the conf files, and I had too many screens up. It was quite possible with my over sensitive mouse, something happened. Later on I'll try again. I've already deleted .recycle so that's not an option. I substituted all files, with the boot cd within reason, same result (that ticked me off!). I think like you said Fab Mui or my env- folder keeping the original confs. I'll delete those individually then, just don't want to lose the owb stuff. guess i could back those up. Mui is alot of files to go through, hope i don't have to, else i'm re-installing!
  • »09.12.09 - 17:14