MorphOS 1.4.5 and 2.4 dual boot
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    CountRaven
    Hello folks

Recently got my Peg1 and decided to setup a classic 1.4.5 install on one partition and the new modern 2.4 install on the other.

Everything went ok except for the fact that I can not have both systems active and load em ussing a boot command from firmware.

Changing the boot priority to each partition gives no result.

The system that has the higher boot priority boots each tome. The other not.

Both partitions are FFS

I play with boot priorities 0 and 1.

Any ideas?
  • »16.11.09 - 18:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    You can give bootdevice option to boot.img in OF. For example "boot boot.img rd bootdevice=dh2". And remember to use different boot.img for MorphOS 1.x and 2.x... rename them like you want in your boot image partition and give correct one depending which partition you want to boot.

If you want to keep it in more permanent use, you can make bootmenu with bootcreator for example. I have bootable partitions for 1.4.5, 2.x and backup system with it on my Peg1...

[ Edited by jPV on 2009/11/16 19:27 ]
  • »16.11.09 - 18:25
    Profile Visit Website
    CountRaven
    Thanks!

I am using boot creator a lot on my peg2 having multioot menus for MorphOS, AmigaOS and Linux.

I will create a final boot menu as long as I discover the final boot command the the boot priority correct order.

But how I map the disk drives / partitions on the bootdece flag of boot command?

I have installed 1.4.5 in the first partition of the drive mapped as ide/disk@0:0
    And 2.4 on the second mapped as ide/disk@0:1

should I use those flags? If not can you give examples?

I guess that dh2 means nothing to the OF of peg1...

thanks.

Chris
  • »16.11.09 - 18:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    Afair on my PegI's I use the "bootdevice=dhx" for the MorphOS 2.x boot.img and then I have the MorphOS 1.4.5 partition set with a higher boot priority than the MorphOS 2.x one as the 1.4.5 boot.img doesn't accept the bootdevice= flag.
    "We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"
  • »16.11.09 - 18:48
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Hmm.. 1.4.5 boot.img surely accepts the bootdevice option? There is my bit outdateish and messy boot script for Peg1, but you'll get the pic... bootdevice takes the partition's device name as an argument.

Btw. Aminet link seemed to be for BootCreator 1.1, but there's newer one somewhere too.. I think it's needed to get automatic timeout for Peg1's menus etc..
  • »16.11.09 - 21:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Hmm.. 1.4.5 boot.img surely accepts the bootdevice option?

Maybe it does. It might be some other flag it doesn't accept. It's been a while since I set them up (I have three).
    "We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"
  • »16.11.09 - 21:52
    CountRaven
    Thanks guys!!!!

Well after all this bootdevice flag worked for me and using the ls command I found that the OF uses the exact names that I have given to each partition using the HDConfig tool. Great!

My kind thanks again!
  • »17.11.09 - 02:56
    Profile Visit Website