GhostScript files
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    Why are the files that I try to print (print to pdf or ps) ending up in Ram: as plain prt? how do i convert them? they have the size varing 1-3 megs depending on what i'm printing. geit's installer in sys
  • »09.04.09 - 04:43
  • rms
    rms
    @ xyphoid

please explain how and what you are exactly doing. I use Ghostscript really a lot and don't experience such
    a problem.

What do you mean by print to pdf or ps?, from which application?
  • »09.04.09 - 05:57
    Profile Visit Website
    xyphoid
    previous threadHere

but in short I wanted to convert finalwriter files to pdf, using geits gs installer for apdf which also allows you to print using ghostscript printers since I have a usbhp2400 series, it's not supported, but if I could print to postscript as I changed the printer settings in ambient to print to file, then all printed files should go to ram as a ps file, or so I thought hence my issue. When I print whether in apdf or from final writer, I get after a few moments a file which just says prt and whatever the size it is. I can't open it or upload it to ps2pdf.com for conversion.
  • »09.04.09 - 15:13
  • rms
    rms
    @ xyphoid

I don't know about the FW files but if FW can print a postscript file to disk then ther shouldn't be a problem.

Here is a short description what and how I do it using PageStream (PGS):

- in PGS I use AcrobatDistiller ppd and using this I print a postscript file to disk (it goes in a drawer
    I called "PSOut") I choose either color or grayscale...

- then I use a scriptfile (whoos created it for me) which opens a file requester lets me choose the
    postscriptfile to convert, does the conversion, and puts the converted pdf file into a drawer called
    "PDFIn".

So I'm able to create high quality pdf files from postscript files with embedded fonts, even in cmyk
    which are used by professionnal print shops! This all is possible with Amiga and MorphOS software only,
    no need to use an external service alike ps2pdf.com or so. And also, all this can be highly automated, like
    I did, I hit F12 for the high quality 300 dpi pdf file conversion, or ctrl and F12 for a "screen quality" light weight
    pdf file conversion.

If more users are interessed then I can submit the scribt files and usage instructions to automate all this...

regards

Christoph
  • »10.04.09 - 08:07
    Profile Visit Website
    xyphoid
    yea but I'm still trying to figure out why everything ends up being a prt I must be missing a step somewhere even printing the test in apdf does this
  • »10.04.09 - 13:42
  • rms
    rms
    If I open test.pdf with apdf and print to PS: it gets printed on the printer which is choosen
    in Turboprint. I I print to e. g. PAR3: then it prints on the printer which is connected to this port.

Here is what I have in PAR3:

StackSize = 4096
    Priority = 5
    GlobVec = -1
    Handler = MOSSYS:L/port-handler
    Startup = "DEVICE=netprinter.device UNIT=3 TYPE=parallel"
    #

and the printer connected via RJ45 is a postscript HP ColorLaserJet CP3525x.

Perhaps in DOSDrivers the PAR: entries arn't correct in some way?
  • »11.04.09 - 06:48
    Profile Visit Website
    xyphoid
    @RMS

oh i didn't mention that I'm using efika, and my hp D2430printer has no driver, language LIDIL so this is why i try to shoot my print to ps in ram, but with no success.

[ Edited by xyphoid on 2009/4/12 11:48 ]
  • »12.04.09 - 03:22
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    If you have a USB printer that supports PostScript all you have to do is output directly to USBPAR: from f.ex. APDF instead of PS:, this is what I do with my Lexmark, and it works great, just take the PAR mountfile in MOSSYS:Devs/DOSDrivers, copy it to DEVS:DOSDrivers as USBPAR and change the following line:

Startup = "DEVICE=parallel.device UNIT=0 TYPE=parallel"

to:

Startup = "DEVICE=usbparallel.device UNIT=0 TYPE=parallel"

- CISC
  • »12.04.09 - 20:36
    xyphoid
    @CISC
    Quote:

CISC wrote:
    If you have a USB printer that supports PostScript all you have to do is output directly to USBPAR: from f.ex. APDF instead of PS:, this is what I do with my Lexmark, and it works great, just take the PAR mountfile in MOSSYS:Devs/DOSDrivers, copy it to DEVS:DOSDrivers as USBPAR and change the following line:

Startup = "DEVICE=parallel.device UNIT=0 TYPE=parallel"

to:

Startup = "DEVICE=usbparallel.device UNIT=0 TYPE=parallel"

- CISC

couple of things...I would give this a try, but, where do you direct to usbpar.device, feel ashamed, but couldn't locate it. I don't think it supports PS, But worth a shot.
    What lexmark model do you use. Most say they don't work with our systems.
  • »13.04.09 - 03:11
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

couple of things...I would give this a try, but, where do you direct to usbpar.device, feel ashamed, but couldn't locate it.

In APDF when you go to Project->Print... you can select "Postscript (level 2)", and in the File stringgadget you just enter USBPAR:

Quote:

I don't think it supports PS, But worth a shot.

Oh, I thought that was why you kept trying to output a PS file?

Quote:

What lexmark model do you use. Most say they don't work with our systems.

E322 (got it practically for free at a fleamarket (and full of toner too) ;) ), it's not supported by the MorphOS version of TurboPrint atleast, though I think later versions support most PostScript printers if you have the PPD file usually included in the OSX (or sometimes Windows PS) driver package...

Anything that can output PostScript or pure text will work fine using USBPAR: to a PostScript capable printer, no drivers needed.

- CISC
  • »13.04.09 - 09:09
    xyphoid
    @CISC Damn! got nothing no print....so as far as my setup I can't seem to resolve this issue with the ps>pdf, I know I'm missing a simple set-up

on the string is it USBPAR OR USBPAR: the latter had an ambient pop up which asked for a assign device, so I assumed it without the colon. I notice also that it doesn't save the setting, nor does the ambient pref. for the printer.
  • »13.04.09 - 14:36
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

on the string is it USBPAR OR USBPAR: the latter had an ambient pop up which asked for a assign device, so I assumed it without the colon. I notice also that it doesn't save the setting, nor does the ambient pref. for the printer.

The File string should be USBPAR:, if that pops up a requester it's because you forgot to do what I wrote earlier (ie, create a dosdriver mountlist for USBPAR)...

- CISC
  • »13.04.09 - 15:22
    xyphoid
    @CISC
    No success, after creating the file and doing the missed step.(no action) I may have to re-attempt this with another printer at a later date.
    Thanks for the tutorial!!
  • »16.04.09 - 03:37