publisher equivalent/Pagestream5pro
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    Can we get a Ms Publisher equivalent, OOo has none that I know of but there is Scribus, can it be ported over?

[ Edited by xyphoid on 2009/6/2 20:22 ]
  • »08.04.09 - 16:32
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Matt_H
    How about PageStream?
    (Granted, the MorphOS version isn't ready yet...)
  • »09.04.09 - 17:56
    xyphoid
    yea, we keep waiting, and waiting....Zzzz!
  • »09.04.09 - 18:49
    Tcheko
    @xyphoid

Do you have the Morphos 5.beta ?
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »09.04.09 - 19:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > we keep waiting, and waiting

The m68k version is said to work flawlessly running on MorphOS.
  • »10.04.09 - 00:32
    xyphoid
    @Tcheko
    >Do you have the Morphos 5.beta ?
    That would be a negative.

@Andreas_Wolf
    I guess as well as final writer does then....Hmmmm
  • »10.04.09 - 00:53
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I guess as well as final writer does then

Instead of just guessing you could have used MorphZone's site search and found these threads:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5917&forum=9
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6195&forum=9
  • »10.04.09 - 01:11
    xyphoid
    Yea i remember the first thread missed the second. i will continue to wait for now. They did materialize a few month back requesting updates to email reg. i guess in regards to assure updated data base for maybe any future release for morphos
  • »10.04.09 - 05:37
  • rms
    rms
    The 68k version of PageStream 4.1.5.6 is really working without any problems!
    I use it professionnaly every day, in fact it's my main software!

Though I'm wating for the new v5 beceause there are SO MANNY great FEATURES
    which could help to make working with it a lot easier. As Deron says that
    there seems to be MUI problems, I hope very much that this can finally get solved so
    we can get an up to date version of this great software.
  • »10.04.09 - 06:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • tom
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    tom
    I'm also using Pagestream almost every day. I'm using it for making books, papers, flyers, even to write simple music for my students....

regards, Tom

(and yes, I'm also waiting for the new Morphos version)
  • »10.04.09 - 09:39
    xyphoid
    strange if there isn't a morphosppc ver5, why it would allow a payment to go through? at checkout, or am I mis reading something
  • »10.04.09 - 13:19
    matt3
    Hi xyphoid:

I bought morphos version 5 a few years ago. We were all promised a usuable version RSN, initially they didn't even have it posted and the beta they eventually posted was a great starting point but never updated.

So I would look at buying the MOS version of pagestream as a donation.

Would be great to hear from the publisher and their thoughts however.

The printing for the 68k version doesnt work here....
  • »10.04.09 - 16:28
  • tom
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    tom
    I use Pagestream 4.1 on my Peg II. For printing I can use the porinterdrivers within Pagestream, but I prefer Studio with a special Pagestream-driver for my old HP-600.
    But I have also an Imac and now most of the time I save my files as pdf on my USB-stick and do the printing with the Imac and a Brother laser-printer (a cheap model and it does the job nicely, but this model has, sadly, no postscript-drivers).
    Deron has already a beta ready for the Imac, but I prefer my Peg for most of my work (and hobby).

regards Tom
  • »10.04.09 - 22:53
  • rms
    rms
    Printing with the 68k version works very well here, no problem at all on several printers
    like a StylusColor3000 (through Turboprint), or a HP LaserJet 9050 directly from PageStream
    via Postscript or a HP ColorLaserJet CP 3525x, also directly via Postscript from PageStream.

For 2 other printers I use the R1800 Stylus Photo, I have to create a pdf file in PageStream and
    then print it from a peecee.
    Here it would REALLY be great to have a new printing possibility for MorphOS, perhaps some port
    from Linux like cups or so, so that we MorphOS users finally can use again modern/newer printers
    which are available.

Anyway IMHO PageStream5 will not include a printing solution for MorphOS or even AmigaOS. This
    is something which has to be provided by the OS itself!

So I think if we MorphOS users want to have high quality, callibrated and color adjusted printouts from
    modern printers like the CP 3525x or the StylusPhoto R1800 or 2400 we NEED some printing solution
    portage from another OS because after talking with a Turboprint developper it would be to much work to have
    this done for MorphOS.
  • »11.04.09 - 07:03
    Profile Visit Website
    xyphoid
    Speaking of pagestream, they have released some info about their development. Registered emailers show have received it
  • »03.06.09 - 01:20
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > they have released some info about their development. Registered
    > emailers show have received it

Unregistered ones can read it here.
  • »03.06.09 - 03:20
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > there is Scribus, can it be ported over?

"This bounty is also available to MorphOS coders but more work would be required since MorphOS does not have a port of the QT framework."
    http://www.discreetfx.com/Scribus.html
  • »25.07.13 - 14:23
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    > xyphoid , Quote:

I guess as well as final writer does then

Andreas_Wolf,
    Quote:

Instead of just guessing you could have used MorphZone's site search and found these threads:

I'd have to agree with Xyphoid, Final Writer is a pain to use, I get all sorts of background colours, printing starts half way down a page when it does print - basically it's all over the place, but not where it should be - as far as I am concerned - that's Final Writer 5, and Final Writer '97.

I also have to say, that I have yet to be able to use PageStream 4.1.5.6 as the program interface loads up - after lots of messing about, with getting the interface just to load from a direct transfer from my original 68k hard-drive, and also from the original PageStream 4.x.x.x. CD, or the PGS4.1.5.6 archive, but then there are no fonts recognised - even though there are lots of them on the system, including my original CGFonts, and PageStream's own supplied fonts, but it just won't recognise them on my Mac Mini 1.5GHz. If anyone has actually managed to get PageStream 4.1.5.6 working on MorphOS on the same hardware then I'd really like to hear from them, but the sooner we get a MorphOS direct port for PageStream 5.x.x.x then that would be better as I like to use PageStream, but I just can't at present - it is just too frustrating to keep trying something else to try to get it to work, but I just can't figure out why it doesn't work/load properly.

I'd be happy enough with a port of AbiWord, though if Scribus could attract enough support for a joint port for OS4,and MorphOS then that would be a good bounty to support. I've already supported the printing bounty, but I don't mind supporting others as long as there's a final program at the end of the donation.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »25.07.13 - 21:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Pagestream (4.0.9) and FW (5, 97) running perfect on my PEG2 and I've had never any problems to print-out via PS-printers nor color-problems ....
    Pagestream Version 4.1.x may have some problems - use V4.0.9 instead till V5.x will be released (if this ever happens......).
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »25.07.13 - 21:56
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> I guess as well as final writer does then

>> Instead of just guessing you could have used MorphZone's site search and
    >> found these threads:

> I'd have to agree with Xyphoid

Fair enough. However, I don't see why you reply to *me* then.

> If anyone has actually managed to get PageStream 4.1.5.6 working on MorphOS on
    > the same hardware then I'd really like to hear from them

You already heard from them, and you even replied to them, quoting the statement below:

"PGS 4 runs here [...] on Mac Mini's [...] without problems, so it should really run also on your config."
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8680&forum=38&start=18
  • »25.07.13 - 22:02
    xyphoid
    Just "morph" scriba into scribus, and it will be all good! hopefully one day.
  • »25.07.13 - 22:17
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    xyphoid,
    Quote:

You are still able to buy Pagestream 5.x for MorphOS because the developer is unethical and will take your money but never deliver an update. He owes me over $5,000 for work paid for but never finished so I painfully know how he is. If you add in all the people that requested buying an update to Aladdin 4D 6.0 over the last 2-3 years then that is roughly $30,000+ lost. I own Pagestream 5.x on all platforms so would welcome a working 5.x version for MorphOS/AmigaOS 4. I highly doubt that will ever happen since so many years have already past. For personal reasons I have stopped using Pagestream 5.x on any platform. I was a loyal Pagestream owner since 1989.

:(

[ Edited by discreetfx 26.07.2013 - 00:22 ]
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »26.07.13 - 01:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
    rms
    NewSense,
    Quote:

If anyone has actually managed to get PageStream 4.1.5.6 working on MorphOS on the same hardware then I'd really like to hear from them,

Hi, I just can say that I (we) use PageStream 4.1.5.6 68k professionnally under MorphOS 3.x on several hardware, like the Pegasos2, Powerbook, Powermac G5 and also on the MacMini 1.5 GHz, without problems. It does work fine, no font problems or so. We do a lot of brochure layout, often brochures reaching up to 100 pages!
    We simply do not have any problems, so I'm suprised that you can't use it! AFAIR you only need to deactivate the CSets drawer, just rename it, and that's all.

But this sayed, PageStream 4.x is so old, much too old for todays needs!!! PageStream 5.x is REALLY NEEDED in order to do consistant layouts which todays needs. PageStream 5.x has also modern tools and transparency support, font aliasing, pdf export with embedded fonts, and, and, and...

As promised by Deron, there should be a native MorphOS version available soon of PageStream 5.x, hopefully it will!

Else, PageStream is the only professionnal and stable DTP program which runs under MorphOS, it's not a wordprocessor!!! So it depends what you need, a word clone or a real DTP program. For sure, one can never ever do the same layout with a wordprocessor then with a real DTP program. To me it would be sufficant to have a word import and export filter in PageStream 5.x to simplify the exchange of documents with others, but I need and prefer a real DTP program like PageStream instead of a wordprocessor clone because one can do a lot more and complex stuff with PageStream.
  • »26.07.13 - 05:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I'm suprised that you can't use it! AFAIR you only need to deactivate
    > the CSets drawer, just rename it, and that's all.

He told about his font problem in another thread, but nobody could help him apparently:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8680&forum=38&start=18
  • »26.07.13 - 11:02
  • rms
    rms
    Andreas_Wolf,
    Quote:

He told about his font problem in another thread, but nobody could help him apparently:

I don't remember this but if the fonts reside in the PageStream/Fonts Drawer and are of a correct type,
    Adobe Type1 (.afm and .pfb) or TTF or even old intellifont (.type) and in PageStream - System preferences - Fonts
    the drawer(s) is(are) added and updated correctly, then it works for sure.
  • »26.07.13 - 13:13
    Profile Visit Website