• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > why didn't anyone suggest that he install
    > a larger hard drive and dual boot it?

I think that was because this obvious solution wasn't what he asked about, and his comments #80 and #84 didn't sound like he would go out of his way and buy a larger hard drive to install an OS he has "very little interest in" anyway.

No, but its the easy solution to the issue of multi-booting. And if he didn't already own the firewire interface, not much more expensive.

PATA hard drives aren't as readily available in high capacities as SATA (or as cost effective per MB), but a 500 GB drive would be adequate for dual booting, and extra storage could be added by a non-bootable USB drive.

BTW - Anyone still using a system with a PATA interface, there is a nice buy on 1GB PATA interfaced flash modules here:

https://www.cdw.com/product/Transcend-PATA-Flash-Module-Vertical-solid-state-drive-1-GB-IDE-ATA/4013515?cm_cat=google&cm_ite=4013515&cm_pla=NA-NA-TRANSCEND_FL&cm_ven=acquirgy&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMI9fbfz5uJ6wIViZWzCh0mJgM4EAQYASABEgKGs_D_BwE:G:s&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9fbfz5uJ6wIViZWzCh0mJgM4EAQYASABEgKGs_D_BwE&s_kwcid=AL!4223!3!359094630459!!!g!299765014534!

I really like the form factor, basically you just plug it in in place of the drive cable.

The only thing I don't like about solid state drives is they give you no warning before they fail.

[ Edited by Jim 07.08.2020 - 09:54 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »07.08.20 - 14:47