Installer
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    montymole
    hi
    new to morphos help how do i installer the installer4.43 read that you Unpack the archive and copy the Installer to "SYS:c/", so you double click on My Morphos when open click on mossys double click again on c/ then copy the folder installer4.43 into this drawer?....if so this does not seen to be working for me i have tried coping the folder and just the contents of the folder to various places but dont seem to be able to get it to work, program that i want to get working is wookiechat2.10. but when i click on the install file window pops-up saying No script tooltype in icon then aros installer opens and when i click on proceed it aborts, another window opens saying Unimplemented commands,rename failed with a dump of 26 variables help pls
  • »23.10.08 - 17:42
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    There is already a MorphOS native Installer replacement.

http://www.geit.de/tmp/contrib_installer.tar

Just use Ambient and click into the tar and install by clicking on the install icon.

No need to install by hand.

Geit
  • »23.10.08 - 17:56
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Lizard
    I checked your site, but besides the (temporary) download link and 1 screenshot, not much information is available about the replacement?

Can you give some more information?

EDIT: Hmmm, I overlooked the FAQ included in the tarball. :)

[ Edited by Lizard on 2008/10/23 22:12 ]
  • »23.10.08 - 21:56
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

geit wrote:

There is already a MorphOS native Installer replacement.

http://www.geit.de/tmp/contrib_installer.tar

Just use Ambient and click into the tar and install by clicking on the install icon.

No need to install by hand.

Geit

Why is the native replacement "Installer" NOT included with MorphOS? I did not know about it until now and have been using an Amiga 68k Installer so far with my EFIKA.

Maybe I am guilty for not searching harder (I have not been 100% for weeks due to my health) to find more info on what needs to be added to MorphOS2.1 to make it more complete and usable, but I would think that the developers, or this site should have an easier to find FAQ for beginners that are new to MorphOS.

I guess MorphOS is like Linux and should not be used by the general computing public that is used to Windows or MacOS, but even someone like me that has been using AmigaOS for over 20 years is having more trouble than I expected in using MorphOS2.1 on the EFIKA I just purchased. I guess I will just have to search longer for more answers to how to use, or get the BEST use from MorphOS. I think it would be good for this site to have a beginners section on the forums and place any, or all helpful documents, FAQs, tutorials, links to additional files that are needed to have the best installation of MorphOS running, etc.

If this has already been done, forgive my ignorance and point me in the right direction. I realize that most people here have been using, or following MorphOS from its early beginnings and already know the "Hows" and "Wheres" of everything about it.

[ Edited by amigadave on 2008/10/23 22:27 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »24.10.08 - 07:26
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    This native installer was ment to be included in MorphOS 2.1s contributions. That is the reason for the strange "archive" format.

For some reasons it didn't make it in.

Geit
  • »24.10.08 - 13:46
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    Hmmm, nice one Geit, thanx :-)
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »24.10.08 - 14:11
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    thanks geit, nice soft
  • »24.10.08 - 20:33
    Profile Visit Website
    stephen_robinson
    This new installer failed to install both CDVSFS and Amitrade center as both taken from the download section of this very website.

Putting the old installer back on, and they both installed correctly.
  • »25.10.08 - 21:36
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    montymole
    thanks that new installer works just fine for me i managed to install all my programs with it, except AWeb but AmiCenter did install as well as wookiechat
    thx again...
  • »25.10.08 - 22:10
    stephen_robinson
    Hmm.. not quite sure why mine didn't work, I may install (arf!) it again and try again

[ Edited by stephen_robinson on 2008/10/25 21:45 ]
  • »25.10.08 - 22:43
  • Targhan
    There are issues with the original installer as well. It can suddenly decide there isn't enough space. There have been two work arounds for that, mine is apparantly lost (shrugs). Installer is such a strange mix of DOS and LISP that it really is a wonder that it ever worked in the first place.
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »29.10.08 - 16:23
    Profile Visit Website