MorphOS 2.1... same old problems.
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Solo_Kazuki
    I just install MorphOS 2.1 with hope that everything will be all right... but I was wrong, sadly :-(

First, there's still problem with Poseidon. Joypad (which was working with Poseidon 3.x) is still not working. What to hell is going on? I have info that it cannot be assign to hid.class. So I'm looking for hid.class in MOSSys:classes/USB (AFAIR) and... there's no such class!!!

Second bug is when you set some preferences (after installation it's almost neccesary ;) ) there are random suspends.

And that's all for now. But i have premonition that's not over yet. :-(
  • »06.09.08 - 17:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Ex-Member
    Did you ever send a bugreport? A proper one?

The hid.class is in the boot.img. There were problems with pciusb.device regarding lowspeed devices on uhci, which have been solved with this release. Several other USB related bugs have been fixed, too. But still, there might be others. The pciusb.device has been written from scratch and only has passed a few iterations yet.

I am sorry for the problems, but there is no need to shout or use multiple exclaimation marks. We're not deaf. Without proper bugreports, I won't be able to even see whats going on, no mentioning fixing anything.

[ Edited by platon42 on 2008/9/6 18:22 ]
    Bye...
    Chris Hodges
  • »06.09.08 - 18:20
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    @Chris what gives?
    morphos 2.1 install efika

I hate this sh!t keep having issues...now the install (from usb) drops the keyboard/mouse, so i cant select install

Any work around this?Efika:

Download MorphOS-2.1-efikainstall.img and put it in the root directory of a USB mass storage device.
    Insert the USB device into a USB port on the Efika.
    In order to have access to a mouse and keyboard while you are installing from a USB device, we suggest you use a USB hub to connect these input devices.
    Turn on your Efika.
    Press escape on the keyboard until you reach the Open Firmware prompt.
    At the Open Firmware prompt, type:
    > boot scsi:0 MorphOS-2.0-efikainstall.img
    MorphOS will now start booting. Please be patient. This may take a short while. Once it is done booting, click on the iWizard icon and start the download of the full MorphOS ISO..
    Please note that the default ISO download directory is ram: - however the ISO will not fit there. Therefore, you must manually adjust the download path to match the partition you are installing MorphOS to.

are we to type MorphOS-2.0 or 2.1?
    I may have messed up!

if not then how does 2.1 come into play?

some how dead in the water and can't boot any help?
    I mean i knew that and started it that way, but the usb kept dropping so couldn't install, i downloaded it from sputnik then tried accessing it there, but when i got to the dl opt i didn't know what to do there so i tried to back out, and that's when all hell broke loose! now i cant boot, cant reinstall (keeps dropping usb) and installboot works but no usb. i think its reading the formatted drives and then dropping the firmware usb.

now im thinking trhat i have to reformat huh? and if so how from firmware?
  • »06.09.08 - 18:58
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Solo_Kazuki
    > Did you ever send a bugreport? A proper one?

What do you mean as "a proper one"? I was sending bugreport via About MorphOS/Support/Send bugreport option. Is this enough? Or if not, then how to sent proper bugreport?

About shouting - it's not what i mean. Honestly, i don't know why i put this. Maybe because i hope that at least i will play on joypad. Nevertheless, sorry.

And about fixing - weirdest thing is, as i mentioned before, this joypad was working without any problems under Poseidon 3.x. So, what's wrong now?
  • »06.09.08 - 19:09
    Profile Visit Website
    stephen_robinson
    Well it's fixed my USB memory stick, but when I stick a CD in it still dosn't come up on the desktop, and I have to root about in the MorphosSys to find it, and then still has an icon like a harddrive, it's not a major problem, shame they hadn't fixed it.
  • »06.09.08 - 21:28
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    @SK

As mentioned by platon, the USB drivers (pciusb.device) were all rewritten from scratch and *could* be reason for such different behaviour.
    Plus some other changes/rewrites...
  • »06.09.08 - 22:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    stephen: if you are using an ide cd drive and not usb, then maybe the boot.img wasn't updated to 2.1
    Then you have to update it by hand like me. After that CD/DVD came up again on Desktop.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »07.09.08 - 00:07
    stephen_robinson
    Hmmm.. I shall check..

it says version 2.1 on about MorphOS, but I'm just backing up my files for a format/reinstall of 2.1...

[ Edited by stephen_robinson on 2008/9/7 11:49 ]
  • »07.09.08 - 10:39
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    the player is right, i made the same mistake yesterday, i was still booting the 2.0 image, the installer doesn't upgrade/install it in many cases.
  • »07.09.08 - 10:52
  • Ex-Member
    Quote:

xyphoid wrote:
    morphos 2.1 install efika

I hate this sh!t keep having issues...now the install (from usb) drops the keyboard/mouse, so i cant select install

What's wrong with you? I think I have now read your unintelligible gibberish on a dozen unrelated threads and three different news sites. Please stop it.
    Bye...
    Chris Hodges
  • »07.09.08 - 13:07
  • Ex-Member
    Quote:

Solo_Kazuki wrote:
    > Did you ever send a bugreport? A proper one?

What do you mean as "a proper one"? I was sending bugreport via About MorphOS/Support/Send bugreport option. Is this enough? Or if not, then how to sent proper bugreport?

I'm usually not getting the bugreports sent there. There is a online bugreporting sectionin the USB Prefs that sends USB specific bug reports.

Quote:

About shouting - it's not what i mean. Honestly, i don't know why i put this. Maybe because i hope that at least i will play on joypad. Nevertheless, sorry.

pciusb.device consists of three different host controller drivers integrated into one device. If one is faulty, you can try the other one.

Peg I/II internal USB: UHCI (USB 1.1)
    EFIKA internal USB: OHCI (USB 1.1)
    NEC USB 2.0 cards: OHCI+EHCI
    VIA/ATI/Intel USB 2.0 cards: UHCI+EHCI

EHCI is usually only used for USB 2.0 devices. To use the EHCI controller for USB 1.1 devices, connect them to a USB 2.0 hub that is connected to the PCI card. If you connect USB 1.1 devices directly to a hub, it will use the USB 1.1 companion controller instead (UHCI or OHCI).

So if one of these combinations work, you could tell me that and this will help fixing bugs. But I need full UsbErrorlogs and UsbDevlister output for this.

Quote:

And about fixing - weirdest thing is, as i mentioned before, this joypad was working without any problems under Poseidon 3.x. So, what's wrong now?

I didn't break anything on purpose. But neither uhciusb.device nor the EHCI or OHCI devices by nico were in a state that I could maintain them to fix the remaining bugs. The uhciusb.device from MorphOS 1.4.x is no longer in use.

[ Edited by platon42 on 2008/9/7 13:16 ]
    Bye...
    Chris Hodges
  • »07.09.08 - 13:15
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    @platon42

sorry i don't mean to add to your angry state but were you aware of the issues Pegasos 1 owners experienced with USB2 cards and MOS 2.0 ?
    Here was the issue : when a USB 2 pci card was plugged into a peg1, the whole system was slowed down. Movies, 3D games were very slow. Once the card removed, back to normal.

I haven't tried to plug my usb2 card again in the peg1 after 2.1 upgrade but i may give a try and send you bug reports or anything related.

now, thanks for the hard work you put into Poseidon, impressive.
  • »07.09.08 - 14:38
    xyphoid
    well this is great! i'm getting chastised about unintelligent gibberish on something which shouldn't had happened. what's wrong with me is i cant get 2.1 update installed on the drive....anymore questions..CHRIS?. One would think YOU would know better. Pressure MUST be getting to YOU!
    BTW...I'm now not the only one, so yep we found another DAMN BUG!!
  • »07.09.08 - 15:05
  • Ex-Member
    Quote:

xyphoid wrote:
    well this is great! i'm getting chastised about unintelligent gibberish on something which shouldn't had happened. what's wrong with me is i cant get 2.1 update installed on the drive....anymore questions..CHRIS?. One would think YOU would know better. Pressure MUST be getting to YOU!
    BTW...I'm now not the only one, so yep we found another DAMN BUG!!

First, you may want to look up the word "unintelligible" up in a dictionary. Thank you.

And second, the MorphOS team or I in particular am not responsible for the OpenFirmware and its implementation. If it fails to load your boot.img from the USB stick, this has got nothing to do with MorphOS 1.4.5, 2.0 or 2.1. Blame bPlan.

MorphOS is everything that comes past the "Quark" line, not before.

And last, your senseless rant-spamming in every thread does not help. Clearly specifying what the heck your problems are would have probably gotten you much further.
    Bye...
    Chris Hodges
  • »07.09.08 - 15:49
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    zyphoid... u got some new replies on the AO thread.. maybe those ideas will work.
  • »07.09.08 - 15:53
    Profile Visit Website
    xyphoid
    shut up chris know your latin roots as in to not sound smart not understood they are the same! besides if you followed all dozen threads all over the god damn place then you would know that
    the issue happens after the quark line!!

anyhow enough time wasted with your non productiveness...to think i was one of your greatest advocates!

What are the odd? yep everything was going as it should
    1. files freshly dl to usb stick inserted into efika
    2. turned it on esc. boot scsi:0 morphos-2.1-efikainstall.img
    3. booted without dropping usb(changed stick)
    4. began install on iwiz
    5. next all the way to prompt on morph2.0 file
    6. selected freshly formatted sfs dh0: partition
    7. again install stopped at 4459 files!!!

anyway i had the files also on the drive, so i dragged them over to the boot drive.

it boots, but how can i confirm i have the update?
    Anyone confirm sound?

[ Edited by xyphoid on 2008/9/7 15:00 ]
  • »07.09.08 - 19:08
    xyphoid
    What are the odd? yep everything was going as it should
    1. files freshly dl to usb stick inserted into efika
    2. turned it on esc. boot scsi:0 MorphOS-2.1-efikainstall.img
    3. booted without dropping usb(changed stick)
    4. began install on iwiz
    5. next all the way to prompt on morph2.0 file
    6. selected freshly formatted sfs dh0: partition
    7. again install stopped at 4459 files!!!

any suggestions?
  • »08.09.08 - 17:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Solo_Kazuki
    > 5. next all the way to prompt on morph2.0 file

Maybe try to change on morph2.1.iso ;-D
  • »09.09.08 - 20:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Solo_Kazuki
    Ok. I sent bugreport this way. Sorry if it go few times, because i'll be sure for send it.

And how can i change pciusb.device type? I was trying, but i don't get how to do this.

EDIT: Amd about not working joypad - i know it was not done by purpose. Or at least i believe in this. ;)

[ Edited by Solo_Kazuki on 2008/9/9 20:29 ]
  • »09.09.08 - 20:26
    Profile Visit Website
    xyphoid
    @ Solo_Kazuki

being serious though...what morphos2.1.iso?
    I though the link was to 2.0 and the upgrade came from the boot
    morphos-2.1-.img

Ok..So I'm a Dumb@SS!!
    Thanks for spotting that error!!
    your like the only one who stotted it!
    All this tim,I was installing 2.o under
    2.1boot.img and thinking i was installing
    the upgrade over onto 2.0 again, not dling
    it since i thought i already had the img
    surprising though. it uploaded all the way
    up tp ... you guessed it 4459 files installed!!
    Damn!! I feel stupid right now...
    Somewhere in the cyberhemisphere Chris
    is laughing his chops off...Got to love it!!

btw. I owe you an ale lad!!! ;-)

[ Edited by xyphoid on 2008/9/9 21:38 ]

[ Edited by xyphoid on 2008/9/9 21:40 ]
  • »10.09.08 - 02:21
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    Quote:

besides if you followed all dozen threads all over the god damn place then you would know

Is it some kind of joke?
    It is already next to impossible to follow and understand *this* thread... How do you want anyone picks information in others? Should we google for your other threads all day long? WTF...
  • »10.09.08 - 10:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    @xyphoid

Glad the problem has been found, but *please* refrain from throwing around nasty remarks at the various devs. The fact that you need two files (install and iso) is located in the FAQ here, btw. I know for a fact that Chris has gotten more than his fair share of grief over the years, and I'm betting he's awful tired of the hotheaded responses.
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »10.09.08 - 16:18
    Profile Visit Website
    xyphoid
    roger that! but i do respect him, I think he mis took my initial problem as a personal attack, when it wasn't directed there, I've since said that i am a supporter of his from the earlier stages, and followed development to morph. I hasn't written anything, so i respect those who do

consequently, they should too...as this is the only medium for help, we don't have tech support, or toll free advice. When we come here whether experienced or novice..it's for help!

as for Henes......N/C

In continuing this thread I had one or two lock out
    of the mouse funny the keyboard worked, and they are a combo unit. sound i guess pick up interference from drive,external devices, not on headphones though. I guess it takes trial of different speaker setups.
    mplayer skipped on me playing 88min movie, but i didn't run a full test of that yet. usb work well during booting, freezes on early boot if attached though.
    overall i like everything, i just have to complete loading back libs, mcc's, ect i may need for different programs.
    for what it is, it is a great OS, hope it strives, as long as it's supported

guys remember, don't tuns of off of supporting each other with bickering, instead let's go to the next reachable level of development.

just too many bye's on this side lately!
    with
  • »10.09.08 - 17:19
  • Targhan
    @xyphoid
    Yeah, waaaaay too many "bye's" lately. Glad to have users that can actually "cool it" when asked. There are a lot of users that once agitated cannot find a way to relax the angry posts.

:lol: we have tolled tech support anywhere?!!?

Now... for my technical advice: try changing hubs or usb cables. Differing manufacturers will use different amounts of shielding (not to mention implementation of the usb standards). In particular, the shielding can be a horrible problem on some cables. With MorphOS (1.4.x and 2.x), I've also had a few usb pendrives that have to be plugged in twice before Ambient shows the drive...
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »10.09.08 - 18:22
    Profile Visit Website