efika/9250/AL2016W efikainstall.img boot args needed
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    MrZoon
    Hiall,

Trying to boot the efikainstall.img. Radeon 9250 64M. Monitor is an Acer AL2016W (native 1680x1050@60, DVI/VGA; I'm using VGA). No matter what combinations I try in terms of video= etc. I get "Input Not Supported" from the monitor. resolution= just spews a giant parameter list out leaving me at a > prompt. I tried video=ofonly, but all I ever see is the Booting MorphOS 2.0... (etc.) text.

Any suggestions?
    MrZoon ~8
  • »11.07.08 - 23:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    NicePics13
    I have AL1916W and it defaults to a 640x480 resolution at install, highest is 800x600 and that's from the screens list.
    Only after reading the fine print in the monitor's (pdf) manual and typing in the right values could I get a native 1440x900 resolution.

Do you have DDC turned on in the Acer setup?

[ Edited by NicePics13 on 2008/7/12 1:30 ]

CBM Amiga 1200 + 4MB AMITEK with 33MHz 68882 FPU
    PowerBook5,4 1024MB 1333MHz G4
  • »12.07.08 - 00:26
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    MrZoon
    DDC is ON. I've tried 640x480, 800x600, 1280x900, 1152x864, and 1680x1050. Same result. I've read conflicting items which state resolution= works, or video= works, or both work, etc. It seems like it would have been extremely simple to provide a boot menu with the common options, setup before hand so all this stuff would work in a turnkey manner. IMNSHO, this is an indication of developers living and working in isolation from the realities of the real world. Not everyone is so familiar with every aspect of OF, .img boot options, etc. that this stuff can be done, in the dark, hands tied, by a 3 year old. Which is what I'm feeling like right now. I have 3 days until the price goes up, and three days until my boss returns from Bejing. He's pretty much convinced that this whole Efika thing is a waste of time and money. It's been over 6 months since we purchqased 2 Efikas, an I haven't been able to get either Morphos (for obvious reasons) or Debian (for other obvious reasons) to boot, even once, into anything other than OF. Now we're looking at thin clients that cost twice as much, running WinXPe. Blecch!
    MrZoon ~8
  • »12.07.08 - 17:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    MrZoon
    (Didn't mean to sound so freaked out... "Turnkey" may not be the first term that comes to the developers' minds when they think of MorphOS, but the way the Open Console is presented on the Genesi site, one would think it might work out of the box. Please transfer any suggestion of annoyance to Genesi's marketing department.. :)
    MrZoon ~8
  • »14.07.08 - 14:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    @ MrZoon,

I suggest you try to find a DVI cable. I have tried several monitors with MorphOS 2.0 and they were all recognized perfectly. There was no need to configure anything. It just worked.

Please also note that the difference in picture quality should be noticably better when a DVI cable is used. If your monitor includes a DVI port, it is highly recommended that you make use of it. If you have any other problems and need quick help, do not hesitate to visit the #morphos channel on the FreeNode IRC network.
  • »14.07.08 - 15:46
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    MrZoon
    Even though the Radeon 9250 has only the VGA connector? AFAIK, a device to convert from VGA to DVI costs several hundred dollars. Not an option in this case.

Any idea why a (Ultra) 2GB USB key works and not an (PNY) 8GB? My 2GB key is at home, unfortunately, or I could test a different monitor right now.
    MrZoon ~8
  • »28.07.08 - 20:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Tcheko
    Hello MrZoon,

I have the same problem as you.

9250 DVI output to LCD VGA input do not work.

I can live with that : i will buy a DIV enabled LCD soon with a DVI to DVI cable. I tested this setup today at work and this way, it works fine.

VGA is dead. Long live to VGA.

Czk.
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »28.07.08 - 20:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    DamageX
    Quote:

It seems like it would have been extremely simple to provide a boot menu

There is a boot menu, did you try it? Add the argument "bootmenu" to the end of your boot command (without the quotes).
    Quote:

VGA is dead.

Anything other than VGA is just a pointless obfuscation of that which was simple and effective. I mean seriously, last month HP was boasting about a new display with 30-bit color. That was possible with a Matrox video card and any color VGA monitor a decade ago!

In short, get off my lawn.
  • »29.07.08 - 03:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    MrZoon
    UPDATE: With a Dell 1280x1024 monitor (VGA) I have found MorphOS!!

wow.

I need to erase the CF card because it is jammed full of Debian stuff from previous unsuccessful attempts, but I can't "see" it anywhere. Shouldn't it show up in HDConfig or whatever?
    MrZoon ~8
  • »30.07.08 - 17:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    MrZoon
    where is the DVI output on a 9250? Mine only has VGA (thanks, Bill!)
    MrZoon ~8
  • »30.07.08 - 17:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Genesi
    Hi Mr. Zoon,

VGA works fine too. 95% of the Open Clients we have shipped came with Radeon 92XX cards with only a VGA connection. It is the same card we shipped on the Open Desktop Workstation. It is not an exaggeration to say this involves thousands of units. It is too bad you have had so many challenges. We hope you sort them out so you can have some fun.

R&B :-)
  • »30.07.08 - 21:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    MrZoon
    Me, too. I'm looking at Ambient right now. I took the CF card out, formatted it, put it back in, rebooted. Where is the CF card so I can format it with RDB, SFS? It doesn't show up in HDConfig or UnitControl. Is there something else I need to do before it's recognized? Should I add a device in Mounter? What device? CF is IDE disk:0.

If I understand correctly, I need to be able to see the CF so I can prep it for running IWizard, so I can eventually register and pay for 2.0. IMHO 2 weeks was a rather short period for that "special price", but considering how "special" it was, it really doesn't make much difference.

And now it's timing out again for about the 80th time.

Pleh!!

Just a thought: Does the CF card have to be in a specific slot of the adapter? Maybe I funged that when I replaced it.

UPDATE: No, I had it in the right way.

BTW, OF is reporting that this 2GB CF card has a total capacity of over 16TB! Maybe Morphos can't handle volumes that big? It showed up as 2GB under Debian install, and I was able to format it correctly.. install just never finished because it used up the whole card doing updates.

[ Edited by MrZoon on 2008/8/1 9:49 ]
    MrZoon ~8
  • »31.07.08 - 23:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    pkillo
    Quote:

MrZoon wrote:
    Just a thought: Does the CF card have to be in a specific slot of the adapter? Maybe I funged that when I replaced it.

Dude, if you are using a dual cf to ide adapter, it will NOT work unless you have cards in BOTH slots. I have an Addonics dual CF-IDE adapter and initially installed MOS with 2 identical cards plugged in. Since MOS would only recognize the first one, I tried taking the second out to put it in an Amiga, but the Efika would not boot at all that way. I have to have both plugged in. Solution? Get a single slot CF-IDE adapter...

-p.
  • »02.08.08 - 01:21
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    MrZoon
    When you have both plugged in does it recognize both cards or only one? I read that somewhere else.
    MrZoon ~8
  • »30.08.08 - 04:48
    Profile Visit Website