2.0? Ain't Buying it...
Topic is Locked
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    My MorphOS experience ends here.

I can't afford it either 111 euro or 150 euro.

It passed too much time and my budget suffered the inflaction.

Sorry guys. Too much cost and too late.

I had preferred lesser features and lesser price, so I could had afforded it.

Or better I could had afforded it, if it had costed 59 0r 69 euros, and EVEN IF i had spended these money twice in a year (after 6 months) on any upgrade.

Do you want an honest comment?

You exaggerated.
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »05.07.08 - 19:25
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    sad to hear that, one less user :(
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »05.07.08 - 19:33
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    That's sad to hear. Anyway, if you're planning to sell your mos system, it's probably a very good time right now!
  • »05.07.08 - 20:21
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    make a thread about it.
  • »05.07.08 - 20:43
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Same case. And its not if I did not wanted to pay nor I appreciate the work of MOS-team., quite the opposite. I just can't afford to it, so my only choise was to sell my Pegasos so someone else can keep the hobby alive.

And by these words I thank you all and step down as a moderator from MorphZone after five years. Ooor.. as soon as I get hold on Targhan that is, which doesnt seem to be so easy these days :)

I wish you all the best of luck, f*cking shame I couldn't go with you.

Hool
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »05.07.08 - 22:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    *sigh*

some very early MOS users are leaving, a bit more everyday.
    All the previous years had been a complete mess, and we still have to pay for it... again.
    That's very sad actually.

I just registered for my peg1, i won't for the efika.
    I just felt like i paid the taxes... i don't feel happy about what i just did. I'll be able to use MOS 2.0 but i'll still protest, for myself and thoses who can't even afford one licence.

Thank you Mr. Laire.
  • »05.07.08 - 22:53
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hi..you had many years to save up for MorphOS 2.0. It was quite clear it would cost money...maybe it is alot for some people, but if you had saved a few EUR each month you could have afforded it!

Anyway, good luck!
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »05.07.08 - 23:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Phantom
    That's very sad indeed. Seeing people leaving MorphOS scene, but wait a minute...

...I did exactly the same 6 months ago. I left MorphOS scene after 3 whole years, sold my Pegasos 2 system to somebody else, and now.... I found the same system and I'll buy it to run MorphOS 2.0. Well, don't ask me if I will gonna sell it again. I think not this time.

I was thinking, am I the only user that came back to MorphOS scene or not?
  • »06.07.08 - 00:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:
    Same case. And its not if I did not wanted to pay nor I appreciate the work of MOS-team., quite the opposite. I just can't afford to it, so my only choise was to sell my Pegasos so someone else can keep the hobby alive.

And by these words I thank you all and step down as a moderator from MorphZone after five years. Ooor.. as soon as I get hold on Targhan that is, which doesnt seem to be so easy these days :)

I wish you all the best of luck, f*cking shame I couldn't go with you.

Hool

Quote:

HammerD wrote:
    Hi..you had many years to save up for MorphOS 2.0. It was quite clear it would cost money...maybe it is alot for some people, but if you had saved a few EUR each month you could have afforded it!

Anyway, good luck!

Well, you see dear Hooligan, and dear HammerD I could only save 5 euro per month...

Actually I just saved 50 euro in about 10 months (and seems to me outrageous, as I were used to save more money for myself any month), and it is right the money to buy 1 Giga RAM module PC3200, 400MHz for my Pegasos machine (actually 512MB).
    I could had made a sacrifice and had added 20 euro to reach 69, 70 euro, and I had renounced the RAM module and had buyed a normal pricing version of MorphOS...

But this actual inflaction situation, and the high pricing of MorphOS litterally cut my legs...

Now I could continue save money for other 20 months and reach 150 euros...
    But 20 months in future then what will buy? MorphOS 3.0???

I need a more reliable and performant version of MorphOS NOW, and not within 20 months...

So I will abadon any upgrade continuing staying with 1.4.5 almost forever.

It is not abandoning the Amiga scene or MorphOS, or I will had not realized even the OSTAN mascot original sketch for it, and I will continuing supporting it...

But all this situation, and the time passed wating for MorphOS 2.0, that could had been released lots of time ago, being only more stable, but with lesser unuseful features and eyecandies (and obviously my actual money situation), really makes me impossible to continuing upgrading it and makes me impossible to continue staying on the scene.

I can only just continue using a shaky Pegasos+MorphOS 1.4.5 system.

So long...

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte on 2008/7/6 12:37 ]

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte on 2008/7/6 12:45 ]
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »06.07.08 - 12:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

HammerD wrote:
    Hi..you had many years to save up for MorphOS 2.0.

Maybe if the price tag would have been communicated many years ago, some people would have? But now it struck down like lightening from a blue sky and caught many by surprise. The price tag is so high that spontaneous purchases for a hobby basis is out of the question for many people, this is *investment* money, a cost that has to be measured against other investments in your house hold and their benefits (and not only computer investments), maybe even something you need to discuss with your wife and family.

I have not yet decided what to do. A third of the 150 EUR would have made the decision much easier. Then it would have been no hesitation from my side. Perhaps half of it would still make it an easy call. But I feel that 150 EUR is a bit over the top. I have registered and received the account information for payment, but I haven't yet sent any money.

I can possibly afford the money, despite currently being unemployed. But I'd really like to see an option to buy "sub-licenses" for additional machines after that expensive one has been purchased. For *a symbolic* sum of a Euro amount per unit that you could count on your left hands fingers, say 1.99 EUR per additional machine.

I would also like to see an option to *transfer* the OS licenses to other MorphOS capable machines in my possession. And to other people as well for that matter; if I sell my MorphOS hardware I will no longer have use for MorphOS, but the buyer of course will.

I would also like to know with certainty how much this license will be worth in the future. I mean, will I have to chip up another 150 EUR if I want MorphOS 2.1, or will future OS upgrades (at least 2.x) be covered by the current fee? I.e. how "future proof" is it? This is an important issue for me.

I will probably buy MorphOS at the end anyway. But I think that the whole licensing part (including the money amount) is perhaps the least developed and thought through part of the entire OS release, and at a price of 150 EUR I'm pretty convinced that the MorphOS team will earn *less money in total* than they would have at a price of 75 EUR, and more seriously, this with the additional penalty of a smaller than necessary user and developer base. If so, it would be unfortunate for the platform.

Setting a price tag is difficult, but a simple market survey could help to determine the optimal price. Has this been done? I don't know. But now the price is set. And now when a lot of people already have bought the OS (the most loyal and enthusiastic customer base, one must presume) it would be unfair to them if the price went down instead of up after July the 15th?

I think the 111 EUR should be made *permanent* and be set as a "MorphOS Ultimate License" with additional value attached to it (like for instance ability to use it on more than one machine, free upgrades under the entire 2.x development path and reduced price on 3.0, and perhaps free access to full versions of other programs from MorphOS team members (kind of a super bundle)), and then a second "MorphOS Budget License" to be introduced with a slimmed down and more limited offer (a much lower price (say 49 EUR for the sake of discussion) but forever fixed to one person, one machine, and a small upgrade fee to each feature upgrade on the 2.x path (bugfixes for free of course! ;-)), no discount on 3.0, a small fee for "Super Bundle", etc).

I don't know. But I think some adjustments to the licensing and pricing strategy would benefit everyone; the MorphOS team, the users, the developers, the entire platform.

BTW, I *really* like MorphOS 2.0, and as I said, I will probably buy it! :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »06.07.08 - 14:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    BTW, regarding the thread title - "2.0? Ain't Buying it" - people who *do consider buying it* but don't have any supported hardware *should not delay too long*! The supply of Efikas is limited, is running out and no more are coming!

Quote:

We don't expect many EFIKA or Open Client units to sell (there are not that many left -- less than 100 worldwide). This opportunity passed at least a year ago. We produced the last EFIKA boards in 2007. We won't be producing them again

http://www.powerdeveloper.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=11080#11080

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma on 2008/7/6 15:00 ]
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »06.07.08 - 15:00
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I have to add myself to the users leaving as well. I just can not bring myself to pay the amount in US$. Its just way to much. The poll that was posted not long ago on here clearly showed how much everyone was willing to pay, or how they felt was fair. This is just over the top. I dont think I will be selling off my systems, only because doing that when the PEg first came out with my Amiga machines lead me to regret that decision.

I think the MOS team needs to take a long hard look at the price point the set and ask themselves if this is what they truly want. If its a combination of selling licenses to all the software in one big chunk, maybe they need to split it up and let the users decide what they want to register in the package and what they are not ready to register.

Enough of my ramble, and it was great being a part of this. I just can not do this with the price of things at this point.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »06.07.08 - 15:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I never really thought about the price since I can afford to pay $250 US for MOS 2.0.

But after thinking about it..I dunno. It would be better for this to sell for about $125 instead. I'd like to know what $250 gets me in the future. Where is MOS going to be 1,2,3,4 years down the road? Are there any future plans? What is the price going to be for updates?

I dont mind paying the price but I will probably hold off until there is official word to the above questions. Linux rocks..so my EFIKA can be re-purposed for something else.
  • »06.07.08 - 15:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Debaser
    Since you mention future plans..what is MOS's "roadmap"??

Does MOS devs. have a spokesperson? I am really not trying to troll or stir anything up..I am new to this and don't really know who is who and what is what about things Morphos..

I am going on a limb in assuming that it isn't ness. clearly defined and perhaps it may not be that bad of an idea. If you look at any small linux distro there is a community voice and a developer admin voice as well. Make sense? 'Just my two cents.
  • »06.07.08 - 17:03
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    wolfe
    Not sure what I am going to do ATM. 150 Euro is to rich for my blood . . . :-x
  • »06.07.08 - 21:31
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    ok.. after thinkin about it, I'm not going to register either. If SkyOS is $29EUR, about $50USD... you get this from SkyOS:

* Download access to the newest beta version and all future beta versions including the final release
    * SkyOS Final as a downloadable ISO image once its available
    * All available software packages
    * All available libraries and device drivers
    * A position on the team as a beta tester
    * Access to the beta team forum
    * Technical support, with questions answered directly in the beta forum by Robert Szeleney and/or other members of the SkyOS Development Team

What do registered users of MOS get?
  • »06.07.08 - 23:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    I don't get it. MorphOS hardware is much, much more expensive than 111 EUR anyway. Getting a monitor will cost you more than 111 EUR. A new hard drive will cost almost as much.

Ok, so there are some people who got their hardware years ago, and don't care that much about MorphOS nowadays. Fair enough, but then the cause is lack of interest, not the price of MorphOS. Same thing if you suddenly prefer SkyOS, Linux or whatever. Nothing to do with the price tag.

Back when I was a poor student I paid a lot more for less 'essential' Amiga/MOS software, not to mention hardware. Of course there will always be those who truly cannot afford it, but that's true even if you set the price at 11 EUR. At the current price, I'm sure 99% of MOS users can pay the price without any huge sacrifices. It might mean more noodles and less pizza for a while, but let's face it.. it's not practically possible to have computers as a hobby if you absolutely can't pay 111 EUR. Can't blame the MOS team for that.
  • »07.07.08 - 00:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Acill

Not long ago you were willing to donate $$ to help save MOS development, now you wont spend $150? Comon man, think of all the work they put in when morph 1.3 and 1.4 were FREE... I mean what are you going to spend the $150 on xbox stuff? :P

Now is a good time for the community feels like it was back in the day, there can be a new life for Morhpos... but guys like you and me have to stay around..

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »07.07.08 - 01:06
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Quote:

merko wrote:
    Of course there will always be those who truly cannot afford it, but that's true even if you set the price at 11 EUR. At the current price, I'm sure 99% of MOS users can pay the price without any huge sacrifices.

Simply not true. 50eur would have been something I could pay and just manage the month through somehow.
  • »07.07.08 - 01:39
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Quote:

magnetic wrote:
    Comon man, think of all the work they put in when morph 1.3 and 1.4 were FREE...

But didnt Genesi fund them? ;-)
  • »07.07.08 - 01:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Hooligan

SUre but it didnt cost the users anything, so irrelevant.

WHy dont you guys sell some Classic Amiga crap and buy mos2? :P
  • »07.07.08 - 01:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    magnetic:

its $173 by the 15th. its not that he's going to buy Xbox stuff.. what do you get for $173 or $250? no response on whats going on w/bug fixes, future upgrades etc? not a selling point.
  • »07.07.08 - 01:45
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Quote:

magnetic wrote:
    Hooligan

SUre but it didnt cost the users anything, so irrelevant.

WHy dont you guys sell some Classic Amiga crap and buy mos2? :P

That crap has been sold yeeeears ago :)
  • »07.07.08 - 01:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    MagicM

Are you an aw.net troll? The morphos official mailing list is being manned by almost every morphos dev, even Ralph Schmidt himself.

point being is there is tremendous support for Morphos BETTER than ANY support by ANY OS Company out there. Period.

So community and support is no issue so stop talking nonsense.
  • »07.07.08 - 01:54
    Profile Visit Website
Topic is Locked