MorphOS 2.0 on Efika - Efika specific issues
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    same problems here, how do I configure the tcp to go online (using serial port and dial up)
  • »12.07.08 - 04:33
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    @DoctorMorbius_FP
    Quote:

Of course this will work only if your problem actually is a trashed RDB...

Well, the hard drive makes strange noises, so it could be some sort of damage on the disk surface. Nevertheless, the loaders should try to output some diagnostic message instead of just hanging there ... ;-)

p.s.: I suspect it was heat death of the hard drive, because I used a small (2.5" or 1.8") hard drive directly mounted underneath the graphics card. The next time I will try to get an adapter cable and mount an ordinary 3.5" drive into my case that can benefit from the airflow of the fans.

BTW, it's also possible to format a hard disk on an Amiga (if you have an A-600 or A-1200 lying around somewhere).

[ Edited by voyager2007 on 2008/7/12 8:48 ]
  • »12.07.08 - 08:38
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kolla
    Quote:

No matter how hard I try, MOS2.0 ignores my S:User-Startup script. I've put a simple alias there, but when the Ambient is loaded, there's no alias set.

Can someone confirm that?

I also tried to put the user-startup file into MOSSYS:S, but results are the same.

Why doesn't that work?

You cant put aliases in user-startup, you dumbass - they will only work within the shell that is running, and vanish with the "EndCLI" at the bottom of startup-sequence.

Aliases you put into shell-startup, tha's how it's always been!

Sheesh! :-P
    -- kolla
  • »12.07.08 - 15:21
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kolla
    Quote:

First of all, there's no Low-Level Format option, as we've once seen in programs like HDToolBox and HDInstTools. That was VERY useful when we needed clean install with garbage of the previous filesystems wiped out. Now, where's that option?

You obviously have no idea what "low-level format" is, do you?
    -- kolla
  • »12.07.08 - 15:24
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Update: It wasn't the hard drive, I connected it to my PC and reformatted it, it does work. I attached a different drive to the Efika and got MOS running again. :-)
  • »12.07.08 - 17:27
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    skipp604
    Quote:

You cant put aliases in user-startup, you dumbass - they will only work within the shell that is running, and vanish with the "EndCLI" at the bottom of startup-sequence.

Aliases you put into shell-startup, tha's how it's always been!

Sheesh!

Why call me names?

Anyway, you are right. It's always been like that... I guess it's been a long time since I changed anything in my OS3.1, that's why I got confused. Well, it's back to CLI-school for me then :)

[ Edited by skipp604 on 2008/7/12 15:40 ]
    bplan Efika 5200B, ATi Radeon 9250 / 256 MB, MorphOS 2.4
  • »12.07.08 - 17:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    STKD
    (Disregard, meant to post elsewhere...)

[ Edited by STKD on 2008/7/12 16:57 ]
  • »12.07.08 - 17:56
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    I'm not sure if this is a efika specific issue, or happens too in pegs, but sometimes, when I make a selection square in the desktop (usually not selecting anynithing), the white dot of the upper left corner remains there, even after the rest of the rectangle has already disapeared. It happens sometimes, other it doesn't.

I'm using the calssic layers, as 3D layers don't work for me. I use a radeon 7500 and it gets frozen after some windows moving/resizing...
  • »12.07.08 - 19:00
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Zetec-s
    Hi all

Got my Open Client today, I've managed to boot off the install image on a USB stick, but however hard I try I can't boot off the Hard Drive.

What is the best way to set the boot partition? At the moment its FFS and has a boot priority of 2, and I haven't formatted the rest of the drive as its 110Gig, and that'll take more than 30 minutes!!
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5Ghz/2GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Powerbook 1.67Ghz/1.5GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    MacMini 1.5Ghz/1GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Efika 5200B 400Mhz/128MB MorphOS 2.3 Registered
  • »15.07.08 - 21:54
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

Hi all Got my Open Client today, I've managed to boot off the install image on a USB stick, but however hard I try I can't boot off the Hard Drive. What is the best way to set the boot partition? At the moment its FFS and has a boot priority of 2, and I haven't formatted the rest of the drive as its 110Gig, and that'll take more than 30 minutes!!

You don't need a FFS partition, the efika can boot SFS ones. No need to make a boot partition, just make one for the system and the boot image, the installer will copy the boot image there. Make sure the partition has the boot flag enabled and boot priority 1.

In case the system partition is your first partition on the disk then boot like this :

boot hd:0 boot.img

good luck, it's actually simpler to install it on an efika than a peg1 :)

Edit : Typos

[ Edited by SoundSquare on 2008/7/15 23:41 ]
  • »15.07.08 - 23:38
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Zetec-s
    Thanks for your help. Got it to boot in the end, and I'm very impressed.

I can't get it to auto-boot into Morph Os though. I set it to auto-boot, and then tell it where the boot file is, but it still won't auto-boot. I can however manually boot it by typing:

• »16.07.08 - 09:22
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

by Zetec-s on 2008/7/16 9:22:57

I can't get it to auto-boot into Morph Os though. I set it to auto-boot, and then tell it where the boot file is, but it still won't auto-boot. I can however manually boot it by typing:

alright, glad to know you made it. Now to auto-boot, type the following commands in OpenFirmware :

Quote:

setenv boot-file boot.img ramdebug
    setenv boot-device /pci/ide/disk@0,0:0
    setenv auto-boot-timeout 3000
    setenv auto-boot? true

assuming your boot image in on the first partition of the HD.

if you want to auto-boot with 3D layers enabled here it is :

Quote:

setenv boot-file boot.img ramdebug 3D
    setenv boot-device /pci/ide/disk@0,0:0
    setenv auto-boot? true

[ Edited by SoundSquare on 2008/7/16 10:15 ]
  • »16.07.08 - 10:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Zetec-s wrote:

Well, if that works you obviously know the correct "boot-device" (which is the first part after the "boot" command), and the "boot-file" (which is the second).

So:

setenv boot-device hd:0
    setenv boot-file boot.img rd rds 0

(the boot arguments after the "boot.img" part tells MorphOS to send debug info to RAM instead of the serial port, and that 0 MB of memory should be used for this purpose, effectively disabling the debug info feature. After the upcoming bugfix release of MorphOS has arrived, you will hopefully be able to also add "3d" (without quotation marks) to the list of boot arguments without having the reported stability problems, which will enable intuition to use the GPU of your graphics card for rendering)

After you have set those two variables, you should be able to boot simply by typing "boot" at the Open Firmware prompt.

*IF* you are able to boot this way (but only if that is the case) you can try:

setenv auto-boot? true

The latter will turn on the auto boot feature, and the first one will tell the computer to wait for 3 seconds before auto booting. This gives you a fair chance of terminating the auto boot if you want to.

If this doesn't work, please type "printenv" and report back what the above mentioned variables are set to.

:-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »16.07.08 - 10:23
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Zetec-s
    Thanks guys that really helped. Auto boots now.

Sometimes it does get stuck at the loading screen where it says Morphos 2.0 loading and lists the system details. Also I don't get a loading image, should I?

Also can't seem to get it to boot at all into 3D.

[ Edited by Zetec-s on 2008/7/17 22:31 ]
  • »17.07.08 - 23:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Zetec-s wrote:
    Thanks guys that really helped. Auto boots now.

Now that you've made it, you realize it wasn't that hard, was it.

Quote:

Sometimes it does get stuck at the loading screen where it says Morphos 2.0 loading and lists the system details. Also I don't get a loading image, should I?

The second symptom is known: Boot image appears depending on the color of your underwear.

Quote:

Also can't seem to get it to boot at all into 3D.

Given the "Use3DLayers" parameter (or just "3D"), MorphOS enables the neat "layers3D"... which is NOT evident at first sight. Use the "Ferox" skin in Ambient, and notice the alpha channel shadowns in windows.
    Regular programs don't do any 3D/alpha effects by themselves. Ask for "Lucy" and "SCube", from the mighty AmigaZeux...
  • »18.07.08 - 09:41
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    MrZoon
    Good point about the timeout interfering with formatting during install (or afterward, for that matter). I was having similar problems. Finally got MOS22 installed yesterday!

Using a Dell USB mouse and keyboard, I see some mouse lockups. But mouse is plugged into kybd so I can use other usb for optical drive.

Overall, quite stable though. I need to try the RDC thing and see how the Rad9250 keeps up with screen updates at 1680x1050... And, of course, convince daboss to pay the reg fees.. >:(

Question: What are the unused ports/connectors on the 5200B for? I've looked everywhere (except, obviously, where the answer is).... Maybe the AUX, VIDEO, MIC-IN, MODEM, and IrDA connections referred to in the board specs? (Why doesn't powerdevelopers have a picture or illustration on that page?)

[ Edited by MrZoon on 2009/6/26 12:36 ]

[ Edited by MrZoon on 2009/6/26 16:39 ]
    MrZoon ~8
  • »26.06.09 - 17:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

same problems here, how do I configure the tcp to go online (using serial port and dial up)

You can't. The serial port on Efika is only used for debug output under MorphOS. There is no serial driver provided.
  • »26.06.09 - 19:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    @skipp

Quote:

I have a 40GB HDD with my Efika. Previously there was Linux installed on it and I'm sure some Windows, too. I want it wiped out completely, low-level formatted and then partitioned.

Just change the partition type to RDB, create the MorphOS partition (one is enough if your HD is just 40GB) and quickformat it. Low-Level format is OBSOLETE since years and this is not going to be supported. In fact, afair modern drives simply reject low-level format requests, so a "Low-Level Format" button in HDConfig could only have a placebo effect. There is NO REASON to do a full format on a working HD. If you want to know the condition of the drive, using S.M.A.R.T. (Morgoth made a port for MorphOS) is the way to go, not full format + verify.

Sorry we cannot meet your A500 floppy drive habits, but there is no justification for them anymore in 2009.

Quote:

My point is, I want to prepare the whole system just the way I like it in the Instaler step.

If you want custom installations, you should simply burn your own bootcd and put the key on it. We can only support one official installation method.
  • »26.06.09 - 19:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > What are the unused ports/connectors on the 5200B for? I've looked
    > everywhere (except, obviously, where the answer is).... Maybe the
    > AUX, VIDEO, MIC-IN, MODEM, and IrDA connections referred to in the
    > board specs? (Why doesn't powerdevelopers have a picture or
    > illustration on that page?)

The EFIKA 5200B User Manual has a picture/illustration. And maybe the Efika Book has some answers as well.
  • »26.06.09 - 23:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    Umm, I have made a discovery... I had mouse lockups, that don't happen if I don't plug in my USB keyboard... this is quite extrange... I'll keep trying...
  • »20.07.09 - 19:22
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    (drops?)you shouldn't have too many with 2D mode if using 2.3
    boot boot.img 2d usually unplugging and re-inserting will unlock it.
  • »21.07.09 - 02:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hawk
    I decided to give it a try today and install MorphOS... But I was not lucky... Here's my install log, see if someone can point some hints to some other things to try.... I ran out of imagination....

* After booting the ISO, I had to unplug & plug again the USB keyboard and mouse so they were recognized.
    * There's no Japanese Keymap.
    * When selecting Tokyo time zone, instead of +9H, it selects Australia +9H30M....
    * Reformating was easy, but for a moment I thought I could use the existing EXT/3 partitions in my hard disk... I erased everything and created a unique partition in SFS (the default).
    * Network via DHCP was automatically detected.
    * After I started downloading the ISO file for installation, I got this message that "Unregistered MorphOS times out in a minute" and the mouse and they system froze...
    * Can't access my USB pen drive anymore from the OpenFirmware! :(
    * Can see partitions of external USB harddisks, but can't access FAT partitions anymore!?
    * I can read the internal HD SFS partition... But there's no boot image there... :(
    * Boot using TFTP (server frontend for mac: http://ww2.unime.it/flr/tftpserver/ )
    boot eth:DHCP,10.0.1.2,morphos-2.2-efikainstall.img
    * Also, download the ISO file from http://www.morphos-team.net/iwizard/2.2/morphos-2.2.iso
    and copy it to the TFTP server. Then during morphos installation select
    tftp://10.0.1.2/MorphOS-2.2.iso in the download location so it downloads faster ;)
    * It seems it was downloading fine but suddenly the counter went to 0KB and the installer stalled...
    * Reboot and try again... and the same... after 32MB it goes back to 0MB and after much waiting, it says "a timeout was reached"... Click Download again and it starts to download again... And its stops at 32MB again...
    * So I copied the ISO file to the USB pen-drive and, although I can't access it from the Open Firmware, I can access it from MorphOS! I tried to copy the file to the hard disk and my mouse and Ambient froze, and my mouse and keyboard died... The unplug-plug trick didn't work...

Perhaps there's something wrong with the partition? I set the defaults... It's an SFS of 11GB...
    Or my hardware is just messed up? Debian Linux was working fine.... And I just erased it (T_T)

Any help would be appreciated
    Pegasos II G3@600Mhz (no fan) 512MB RAM (1 slot)
    -- Maxtor 6Y120P0 120GB, 7200 rpm -- ATI Radeon 7500 - (64MB, TV-out)
    -- Minuet Slimline PC case -- MorphOS 1.4.5 + Gentoo
    EFIKA
  • »26.07.09 - 15:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    When you copy large files from a pendrive it's much safer to do it via shell. Otherwise you can get a freeze (just like the one you described).
  • »26.07.09 - 20:07
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hawk
    @koszer

thank you very much! I did like you said and it worked perfectly! :D
    Now MorphOS is up and running! :D

I'll be taking some informal notes here: http://endavid.com/WikyBlog/Edit/Main/Efika/MorphOS
    And some pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawkfb/sets/72157621734767017/
    (sorry, I didn't use the screengrab thingy ;p )
    Pegasos II G3@600Mhz (no fan) 512MB RAM (1 slot)
    -- Maxtor 6Y120P0 120GB, 7200 rpm -- ATI Radeon 7500 - (64MB, TV-out)
    -- Minuet Slimline PC case -- MorphOS 1.4.5 + Gentoo
    EFIKA
  • »27.07.09 - 16:00
    Profile Visit Website