MorphOS runs on QEmu
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Guys yesterday finally i was testing the first heavy program inside QMos it was FPSE result it was running fast and smooth at 640x480 in software rendering with spu null.
  • »25.07.18 - 15:06
    Kronos
    Quote:

waldiamiga wrote:

Code:
    qemu-system-ppc -machine mac99,via=pmu -m 1024 -device sm501  -boot d -prom-env "boot-device=hd:,mac_ppc32boot.img" -bios openbios-qemu.elf -vga none -device ide-hd,drive=hd-drive,bus=ide.0 -drive file="morphos.img",if=none,id=hd-drive,format=raw -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user

Tried under OSX complains bout " Property '.via' not found", leaving that out will start QEMU but fails to boot.
  • »27.07.18 - 14:58
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

tlosmx wrote:

Quote:

Also what happens with floating point performance under KVM ?

threadripper vs g5 quad in kvm on Mac99 qemu
    https://scontent.fnap1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/27540591_10211001296249952_3934778983080779619_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=523c1f6cddb62032b5879224613d210d&oe=5BBE5122

Hmm, pretty good. And we are comparing a 2.5 GHz PPC to a higher clocked X64 cpu.
    Bench averages look good, and the fpu scores clearly favor kvm/PPC.

If this was possible under Power 9, all the scores would favor Power/kvm.
    And even on a 970FX it looks good.

No matter how hard you try to push Tabor, this is a better solution that would provide for multiple sessions with more power and a fully compatible standard fpu with AltiVec/VMX instructions.

What's more, the price of a Quad G5 is comparable (or lower) than a Tabor motherboard.
    Add better performance under Linux, the ability to run OSX or BSD, and I know what platform I prefer.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »27.07.18 - 22:16
  • Just looking around
    rushpat
    Hey, thanks for all the help. When using -net user on the qemu command line, how do you set up the networking on the MorphOS preferences and on the host system to communication and let the MorphOS network traffic flow through?

Thanks!
  • »13.08.18 - 03:37
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

rushpat wrote:
    Hey, thanks for all the help. When using -net user on the qemu command line, how do you set up the networking on the MorphOS preferences and on the host system to communication and let the MorphOS network traffic flow through?

Thanks!

You can't from an installed image it doesn't work.

Only from the live CD.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »13.08.18 - 11:52
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

rushpat wrote:

Thanks!

Only from the live CD.

Not true, It's just not straight forward. Here's the command line I use for networking and a physical drive.

qemu-system-ppc -machine mac99,via=pmu -m 2048 -device sm501 -drive file=\\.\PhysicalDrive2,index=0,media=disk,driver=raw -net none -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01 -vga none -boot d -prom-env "boot-device=hd:,\boot.img" -bios openbios-qemu.ELF -serial stdio

morphos qemu
  • »27.12.18 - 18:41
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

terminills wrote:
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

rushpat wrote:

Thanks!

Only from the live CD.

Not true, It's just not straight forward. Here's the command line I use for networking and a physical drive.

qemu-system-ppc -machine mac99,via=pmu -m 2048 -device sm501 -drive file=\\.\PhysicalDrive2,index=0,media=disk,driver=raw -net none -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01 -vga none -boot d -prom-env "boot-device=hd:,\boot.img" -bios openbios-qemu.ELF -serial stdio

morphos qemu

Phwoarr!!! :D
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »28.12.18 - 11:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > bigfoot made some patches for qemu to make it emulate the Pegasos2.

Seems like the guy who created the QEMU Sam460 emulation for running OS4 and who enhanced the QEMU mac99 emulation for running MorphOS will have a go at another project:

"due Book3E/Book3S ppc arch difference, Zoltan is looking inside Pegasos 2 emulation too. He is only at first steps, and he still needs some emulated chipset documentation."
    https://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=43042&forum=33#820048
  • »05.01.19 - 09:56
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Flash
    Sadly in next version of QEMU will be not present the new Pegasos II board on which Zoltan Balaton is working on. Meanwhile there was a great fix for Sam460ex board to prevents random gurus and and improved emulation od via-ide chipset.
    For a complete Pegasos II usage there will be still needed ATI Radeon full emulation and some other stuff.
    Zoltan said me maybe it could be done in a 5.1 or 5.2 version of QEMU, so on 3th or 4th quarter of 2020. I tried to support him with debug logs from a real Pegasos II, but I hope there will other people interested on it who can support in any way the project.
    Remember a virtual board will be never broken and time after time it will be faster and faster with release of new cpus.. It can be considered also a good way to preserve from time our beloved Amigas and our history.
  • »05.04.20 - 14:06
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Flash
    Yes I hope Balaton's patches will be reviewed and approved for main tree in next days.
    Meanwhile, as written in my other recent post, also Pegasos II board could be present in Qemu 6.0
    With this new addition, main goal should be to virtualize powerpc on powermacs, and run OS4 at full speed.

Anyway this seems to be a great period for Amiga systems, there are happening a lot of nice things.
  • »04.01.21 - 19:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    Update:

> QEMU Sam460 emulation for running OS4 and [...]
    > QEMU mac99 emulation for running MorphOS

It seems that QEMU v6.0 will come with a Sam460 emulation bug-fixed to be MorphOS-compatible:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-ppc/2021-01/msg00006.html

Hmm, does this make any difference in the emulation over mac99? I mean, it wouldn't be faster, and the gfxchipset is still the emulated ST 502?
  • »04.01.21 - 22:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > does this make any difference in the emulation over mac99?

I can't think of any advantage of running MorphOS inside Sam460 emulation to running it inside PowerMac3,1/mac99 emulation, if that's what you mean.

> the gfxchipset is still the emulated ST 502?

Of course, it's still the SM502 (or rather emulated SM501, but that's apparently similar enough for the OS drivers not to notice) because that's what happens to be on the real Sam460ex board after all. However, I can't see why the emulated Rage 128 Pro (see comment #151) wouldn't be usable with Sam460 emulation (or the upcoming Pegasos II emulation for that matter). As I understand, Radeon R100 emulation is still being worked on.
  • »04.01.21 - 23:14
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Flash
    I wonder if some in MOS/OS4 developer team would help Zoltan to reach the goal and have a virtual NG platform ready for next Qemu 6.1 release.
    Zoltan could be also asked to be (at least partially) involved in x86 porting of MOS, because he has proved to be a very skilled lowlevel programmer.
    QEMU could really be a valid alternative to UAE for AmigaNG platforms.
    Next steps are about correctly emulating ATI radeon gfx cards.
  • »07.06.21 - 13:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > to reach the goal and have a virtual NG platform ready

Isn't this already there in form of the Sam460 emulation? What's intended with the Pegasos II emulation is a common QEMU platform that can be virtualized with KVM-PR on Book III-S hardware. This cannot be done with the Book III-E platform that is the Sam460, as you correctly wrote 5 months back.

> QEMU could really be a valid alternative to UAE
    > for AmigaNG platforms.

UAE cannot run current MorphOS 2.0+ because there hasn't been released any MorphOS 2.0+ for PowerUP. So in terms of running MorphOS 2.0+, and thus also in terms of running both OS4 and MorphOS 2.0+ via the same software solution, QEMU isn't just a valid alternative to UAE but very much the only way to do it.
  • »07.06.21 - 18:02
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Quote:

Flash wrote:
    I wonder if some in MOS/OS4 developer team would help Zoltan to reach the goal and have a virtual NG platform ready for next Qemu 6.1 release.

I don't think he needs any help really, he seems to be doing just fine. Also, QEMU has been working fine for some time already. I've for example ran most of my MorphOS testing on QEMU for several years now (no need to carry multiple laptops around).

QEMU Pegasos II emulation gives no benefit over Sam460 emulation, to be honest. At least I see no point in switching to it (note that I care about MorphOS emulation).

QEMU has a very limited usability really: The performance is so limited it mainly is usable for quick testing. Compile and similar tasks are better suited for amd64 linux cross-compile environment.

Please also note that QEMU isn't an officially supported platform for MorphOS and you cannot register MorphOS for QEMU.

[ Edited by Piru 07.06.2021 - 22:15 ]
  • »07.06.21 - 20:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I don't think he needs any help really

If desired, I can compile a list of Zoltan's messages to mailing lists (including the MorphOS one) where he (told he) asked the MorphOS devs for help and reported that sadly he did not receive any answers from them to technical questions ;-) Fortunately, you are right that so far he was able to solve crucial problems without the help of the MorphOS team, even if it took him longer to finally figure out the solutions or workarounds himself to make MorphOS run.

> QEMU Pegasos II emulation gives no benefit over Sam460 emulation

Maybe not so much for MorphOS, yes.
  • »07.06.21 - 20:56
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    @Andreas_Wolf

At least me personally I have no desire to get involved.
  • »07.06.21 - 21:09
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Flash
    Maybe could be sufficient give hits to some questions raised by Zoltan in qemu ml, as example about ide legacy implementation or firmware load. It’s not needed to code for qemu, Zoltan can do it for all us.
  • »08.06.21 - 00:24
    Profile Visit Website