• Ex-Member
    About a week or two, before Ben posted this about Java for MorphOS, I was thinking about writing a JavaVM myself. One of the coolest things with Java is it's Eclipse IDE and its huge amount of existing software. But unfortunately, writing the JavaVM is not the most important thing -- there were ports of JavaVMs to the Amiga in the past, such as Kaffee or jikes. The real problem are the native libraries to be used for the runtime environment, which is a huge task.

Currently, I hate huge projects. I've been writing at the USB stack for more than five years now and I don't want to see it anymore. It's just a never ending story. I've got the impression that this would be the same for a JavaVM with JDK. And moreover: No way I could work on this contiuously -- I'm a full time software architect and java/C++ programmer... not speaking about the salary...

(And speaking of MUI -- AFAIK there is no match of the coolness of MUI anywhere in the Java world. All these GUI Toolkits suck big time -- at least programming-wise).

(And about that stupid "you're being racist!" arguments -- grow up people, this is the economic reality. Development e.g. in Germany *is* more expensive based on hourly rates, but then again, developing in India might not give you what you expected at all).
    Bye...
    Chris Hodges
  • »12.12.07 - 21:52