Can we do this on MorphOS too?
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    @Itix

Quote:

[...SheepShaver...]
    It just is not possible in a shared address space OS.

I guess it has nothing to do with the MOS-Team not allowing access to the first KB of ram nor to use memory management functions...

I wonder how I ran Shapeshifter, Fusion and iFusion years ago ;-) now it seems we need Linux to run a Mac emu on a PPC machine :-P
  • »24.04.07 - 12:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    @Leo & Crumb

Neither Shapeshifter or Fusion would run if you had Enforcer or CyberGuard running on your Amiga and you had to run PrepareEmul to move stuff away from low mem.

In MorphOS it does not work. Low mem constains system private system stuff and PrepareEmul kind of hacks are no longer possible. Having an access to MMU does not help because memory is already used by the system. Special MorphOS build would be needed.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »24.04.07 - 14:19
    serge
    Did you saw this ?
    https://morph.zone/modules/mg/index.php?id=838

who is the this picture's autor ?
  • »25.04.07 - 18:49
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    It's my desktop.
    (Xami_rtg server connected to my SunUltra2 linux machine (debian) which is connected to Windows machine using rdesktop) :)
  • »26.04.07 - 12:52
    Profile Visit Website
    Crumb
    @itix

BasiliskII ran on the classic without using Supervisor mode so MMU stuff wouldn't be affected and Thor's MMU.library can run MMU apps similar to cyberguard and also move the first kilobytes of ram.

Yeah, current MOS wouldn't work, but changing the kernel loader to leave the first KB of ram free wouldn't be too much work.
  • »26.04.07 - 20:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

BasiliskII ran on the classic without using Supervisor mode so MMU stuff wouldn't be affected

Basilisk II/68k on Amiga uses PrepareEmul stuff. It is just Shapeshifter rewritten in C.

Quote:

Thor's MMU.library can run MMU apps similar to cyberguard and also move the first kilobytes of ram.

Thor's MMU lib was just pointless exercise and doesnt solve problems involved with non-PrepareEmul Mac emulators.

Quote:

Yeah, current MOS wouldn't work, but changing the kernel loader to leave the first KB of ram free wouldn't be too much work.

It is not about "kernel loader". There is purpose why low mem area is use.
  • »26.04.07 - 21:46
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    munk
    Quote:

Thor's MMU lib was just pointless exercise [...]

Care to explain that remark a bit further?
  • »27.04.07 - 11:04
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    It is useless to everyone except Thor who developed Mu#? tools using MMU lib.
  • »27.04.07 - 18:05
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    @Itix: what kind of "MorphOS build" ? I mean: on a technical point of view, what's preventing it from working on current MorphOS ?

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »27.04.07 - 18:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Special MorphOS build as in customized MorphOS ISO image for you. Since low mem is used by the system it cant be occupied by emulators.
  • »27.04.07 - 22:04